• ...and so much more!
  • bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    Three years ago between my wife and I we killed 5 copperheads. Two years ago we killed 3 copperheads and 2 coral snakes. Last year we didn't see any poisonous, but did see a large rat snake. We left him alone as they do a really great job in our hay barn. None this year so far.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    Found this little feller on the front sidewalk this morning. Don't let anyone tel you they can't open their mouths very wide to bite. I stepped on this one and it was gnawing on the edge of my Croc with its mouth plenty wide open while I was cutting its head off. I left it out there so I can show my 2 1/2 yr old grandson what NOT to pick up!

Alan

IMG_2905.jpg

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Found this little feller on the front sidewalk this morning. Don't let anyone tel you they can't open their mouths very wide to bite. I stepped on this one and it was gnawing on the edge of my Croc with its mouth plenty wide open while I was cutting its head off. I left it out there so I can show my 2 1/2 yr old grandson what NOT to pick up!

Alan

View attachment 312843
    Holy crap. Glad you’re ok. We’ve found three around the house. Of course, I was out of town for each discovery. My bride greatly appreciated that, I assure you. Cost me a snake removal service each time.
    Edit- the Coral snake is a member of the freaking cobra family. Apparently the last recorded death from a bite was in the mid-50’s

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    Snake removal service? Tell her to step on them so just their head is sticking out (with some kind of shoes on of course) and cut their heads off with her pocket knife.....

Yeah, I know that doesn't work around here either.

One afternoon, I had shifted into granny gear in the Lazy Boy, and a very loud, frantic, but distinct "AAAAAALLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!" came from the back yard. I thought UDAs were in the wire ..... when I got out there coiled up in the corner of the patio was a very dead looking snake. It was upside down and being very still. She says she thinks it's dead... I take a closer look and kinda chuckle.. He's not dead, he's just playing possum. It was a 2 1/2' hognose snake. I scooped him into a bucket and he was born again!

I took him over to show my 10 yr old grandson (he likes reptiles). They let him go out by their dog pens. #1 son said that for quite a while they'd see him when they went to feed the dogs. He'd be sitting (well, laying) there by the pen when they fed and then he'd be gone by dark. I guess he was waiting on mice coming for dog food morsels. It may have been a pet that escaped or was let go. It was pretty tame.

Alan

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Snake removal service? Tell her to step on them so just their head is sticking out (with some kind of shoes on of course) and cut their heads off with her pocket knife.....

Yeah, I know that doesn't work around here either.

One afternoon, I had shifted into granny gear in the Lazy Boy, and a very loud, frantic, but distinct "AAAAAALLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!" came from the back yard. I thought UDAs were in the wire ..... when I got out there coiled up in the corner of the patio was a very dead looking snake. It was upside down and being very still. She says she thinks it's dead... I take a closer look and kinda chuckle.. He's not dead, he's just playing possum. It was a 2 1/2' hognose snake. I scooped him into a bucket and he was born again!

I took him over to show my 10 yr old grandson (he likes reptiles). They let him go out by their dog pens. #1 son said that for quite a while they'd see him when they went to feed the dogs. He'd be sitting (well, laying) there by the pen when they fed and then he'd be gone by dark. I guess he was waiting on mice coming for dog food morsels. It may have been a pet that escaped or was let go. It was pretty tame.

Alan
    My wife did a Copperhead in with a hatchet. She showed me a pic- I, of course, was out of town. She was mad at me for a week!

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I can’t see it’s face but I think that’s a broad band water snake
    I'm pretty sure its a Western Rat Snake. I picked it up a time or two and moved it off the porch to make the wife happy. :laughing: One day when I was doing that it came back three times and climbed right back up on the porch rail. Maybe it thought it see it's prey better from there.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm pretty sure its a Western Rat Snake. I picked it up a time or two and moved it off the porch to make the wife happy. :laughing: One day when I was doing that it came back three times and climbed right back up on the porch rail. Maybe it thought it see it's prey better from there.
    Definitely what we called a Texas rat snake, also called by some as a chicken snake.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    I had a Speckled King Snake as a pet when I was 10 years old. My mother and sisters never bought into the idea but my dad built a pretty nice cage for me to keep it in. We only lived in that house for less than a year so the snake didn't make the move... neither did the cage...

It was a nice snake though. Never bit or acted up. Never crapped on me either...

Alan

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had a 2' corn snake for a pet. He was really chill after being our biology project for a couple months. Someone had found him in a cornfield next to our school. I talked our teacher into letting me have it. I would drape him over my shoulders and walk around with him. He was a fun pet.

One bird egg a week and he was fine.

I had a really big terrarium in my room. I kept him in there, but would put a small plate on the hole at the top. One night I forgot the plate, and he was never found.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I had a hognose snake when I was in high school. Caught him by the bayou and kept him for a year or so in an old aquarium.

Mom protested vehemently. I eventually took him back and turned him loose where I found him.

I lost count of copperheads I killed in the fenced yard last year. I posted a thread on here about the ongoing problem and the attempted eradication. I think it was somewhere around 15. Most of them only 12-15" long.

I have not seen one this year, but I mowed today and saw plenty of legged reptiles -salamanders and such - so, it's just a matter of time.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom