• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Its not that bad compared to some ammo out there. I just checked ammo seek & Federal 75gr are going for $.43 per round. That is what 5.56 ammo prices were last year.
    Like Dawico, if I were to go that route I would probably go with a bolt action.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I found some Hornady American Gunner in 6.5 cm last year for $130 for 200 rounds...now it's over $200 for the same can. If I go to Academy it's pretty much $20 a box if not $30 for the precision stuff.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've got my .224 Valkyrie built. Just need to get to the range and test it. I have a barrel with a long freebore. So I may need to use a windowed mag to get the kind of accuracy I desire. I'd suggest shopping for a barrel that will fire the bullets you want to shoot and make sure the barrel is up to the task. Many Valkyrie barrels aren't. And that's especially true if using manufactured ammo instead of reloading. The .224 Valkyrie is a cartridge that is continuing to evolve.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I've got my .224 Valkyrie built. Just need to get to the range and test it. I have a barrel with a long freebore. So I may need to use a window mag to get the kind of accuracy I desire. I'd suggest shopping for a barrel that will fire the bullets you want to shoot and make sure the barrel is up to the task. Many Valkyrie barrels aren't. And that's especially true if using manufactured ammo instead of reloading. The .224 Valkyrie is a cartridge that is continuing to evolve.
    To quote a certain Moonpieish person: "Pics or GTFO!"

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got my .224 Valkyrie built. Just need to get to the range and test it. I have a barrel with a long freebore. So I may need to use a window mag to get the kind of accuracy I desire. I'd suggest shopping for a barrel that will fire the bullets you want to shoot and make sure the barrel is up to the task. Many Valkyrie barrels aren't. And that's especially true if using manufactured ammo instead of reloading. The .224 Valkyrie is a cartridge that is continuing to evolve.
    What length of barrel you went with? And MFG? If you don't mind....

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    22" ARP barrel. ARP is who determined that some of the reamers for the Valkyrie were screwed up and made the free bore too long. That made the bullets jump to the lands too long. I had the option to cancel my order but decided to take it anyway since I reload. The biggest problem with the long free bores is with factory ammo and they don't group very well. It's not a big deal since I reload. But will need to load long. Mag length or longer.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    22" ARP barrel. ARP is who determined that some of the reamers for the Valkyrie were screwed up and made the free bore too long. That made the bullets jump to the lands too long. I had the option to cancel my order but decided to take it anyway since I reload. The biggest problem with the long free bores is with factory ammo and they don't group very well. It's not a big deal since I reload. But will need to load long. Mag length or longer.
    I keep reading some of the reamer issues too.

While it is an interesting round I’m hesitant to jump aboard until they fix the issue. I watched a video last weekend about JP Enterprises having trouble with this round, among others.

@OP This round is supposed to be an entry level, for lack of a better term, to long range. With your current options, why downgrade?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I keep reading some of the reamer issues too.

While it is an interesting round I’m hesitant to jump aboard until they fix the issue. I watched a video last weekend about JP Enterprises having trouble with this round, among others.

@OP This round is supposed to be an entry level, for lack of a better term, to long range. With your current options, why downgrade?
    I will answer that. May not be his answer but probably close.

Because new gun. Because interesting caliber. Mainly because advertising.

We gots to have it because it is the latest and greatest.

Think about this. It took WM almost 10 years to carry 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. It was a sleeper round until it blew up.

They already carry 224 Valkyrie ammo and it is a very new cartridge.

Valkyrie guns and uppers are everywhere. The round doesn't do anything that can't be done with something else. But they are pushing it hard.

That makes us feel the need to own it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or maybe just to have a rifle that shoots like a .223 but can still consistently get to 1000+ yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom