• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    OK did some research.... maybe I'll go the 6.5 Grendel route.

You’ve never mentioned what you are looking for with this potential build. Just the distance? Hunting?

The Valkyrie is intriguing for the distance and I’ve thought about it too. Most likely buy parts until the reamer issue is sorted out, then buy the barrel and be GTG.
    Venture Surplus ad

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You’ve never mentioned what you are looking for with this potential build. Just the distance? Hunting?

The Valkyrie is intriguing for the distance and I’ve thought about it too. Most likely buy parts until the reamer issue is sorted out, then buy the barrel and be GTG.
    So this is why I decided the 6.5
    Steel ringing 400-1000yrds quickly.
    Good internal ballistics for hogs with the thermal.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've been eyeballing the Grendel barrel at ARP for a long time. Price is good. And every ARP barrel I own shoots around .5 MOA if I skip the coffee on the way to the range. But BA are good barrels. I've got one in 6.5 CM. Weighs a ton. .935 at the gas block. But that was the idea when I bought it.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been eyeballing the Grendel barrel at ARP for a long time. Price is good. And every ARP barrel I own shoots around .5 MOA if I skip the coffee on the way to the range. But BA are good barrels. I've got one in 6.5 CM. Weighs a ton. .935 at the gas block. But that was the idea when I bought it.
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-65-grendel-dmr-fluted-midlength-ss-premium-barrel

I'm looking at this package. Do you think I would need a adjustable gas block on the 20in barrel suppressed? I wouldn't think... but I don't know.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Like Dawico, if I were to go that route I would probably go with a bolt action.
    Just out of curiosity, why?

I'm getting ready to build my first Valkyrie. I built a 6.5CM AR10 and I shot one, dialed wind and elevation, shot #2 elevation spot on...dialed wind in the wrong direction (duh)...shot #3 spot on. Four more shots...1/2" 5-shot group. No barrel break in. No load development. Hornady 140 ELD-M. Made me start to question why I'm reloading for my bolt gun. I only shoot 1/2" with that too.

The semi-auto will be lower recoil, easy scope mounting options, faster follow ups (if that matters for your style of shooting/hunting), larger magazine capacity, etc.

I think there used to be a day when bolt guns were assumed to be more accurate but some of our ARs these days will shoot great. Not many people need (will benefit from) better than 1/2". After that, it's more about training and wind (accurateshooter.com and Litz have some great articles on that).

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just out of curiosity, why?

I think there used to be a day when bolt guns were assumed to be more accurate but some of our ARs these days will shoot great. Not many people need (will benefit from) better than 1/2". After that, it's more about training and wind (accurateshooter.com and Litz have some great articles on that).
    This is true.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Suppressors don't help that either.....
    Very true. Also, anymore, you can get sub MOA bolt guns for very cheap. Our AR builds are $1300-$1800 depending on the options. You can get a 1/2"-3/4" factory bolt gun and upgrade the trigger and still be under $1000.

As for buildup, though, I shot 30 rounds through that AR and it was 1/2" at the end just as it started. Although 10 rounds with a can (SiCo Omega) in the middle of that series opened groups to 3/4".

So precision aside since it's moot, you have:
    bolt: cleaner, cheaper, lighter, simpler, may have to pay to have barrel threaded
    gas: softer recoil, faster follow up, bigger mags, heavier=less recoil too, lego-factor (changeable/more customizeable), swappable uppers (use same good trigger in multiple platforms), barrel almost always comes threaded...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Very true. Also, anymore, you can get sub MOA bolt guns for very cheap. Our AR builds are $1300-$1800 depending on the options. You can get a 1/2"-3/4" factory bolt gun and upgrade the trigger and still be under $1000.

As for buildup, though, I shot 30 rounds through that AR and it was 1/2" at the end just as it started. Although 10 rounds with a can (SiCo Omega) in the middle of that series opened groups to 3/4".

bolt: cleaner, cheaper, lighter, simpler, may have to pay to have barrel threaded
    gas: softer recoil, faster follow up, bigger mags, heavier=less recoil too, lego-factor (changeable/more customizeable), swappable uppers (use same good trigger in multiple platforms), barrel almost always comes threaded...
    I'm not going to argue your points, and I'm sure it appeals to many. Since I would be shooting pretty much a stationary position with that round, and not needing quick follow up shots, I would be more comfortable shooting from a good bolt gun stock.
    That being said, I do like your build, it looks quite nice.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

That's why I have and like gas and bolt;)

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Since I would be shooting pretty much a stationary position with that round, and not needing quick follow up shots, I would be more comfortable shooting from a good bolt gun stock.
    Yep, if you don't get benefit from the AR features, and since 224 doesn't have that much recoil anyway, a bolt gun is probably a better option. Cheaper, just as precise or better, lighter. And, while Federal developed the 224 (90gr SMK, 60gr Barnes TSX, 75 FMJ), Hornady already has ammo out for it. They have a 88gr ELD cartridge that, if it's anything like their 140 6.5, should be amazing.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-65-grendel-dmr-fluted-midlength-ss-premium-barrel

I'm looking at this package. Do you think I would need a adjustable gas block on the 20in barrel suppressed? I wouldn't think... but I don't know.

I'd probably do it. I've got a 20" barrel on my Grendel and a rifle buffer. When I built it, one of the more common complaints were getting the gas right. Mine worked fine with a normal gas block - but with a can - give yourself options.

Top Bottom