• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I was offering perspective, some common sense. I know who I am. I have earned it. Don't ask me how because I do not want to embarrass you.

You make me laugh. Embarrass me. Go ahead, scooter.

What you suggest is breaking the law if you think you won't get caught. That tells me all I need to know. Don't ask me how, I don't want to embarrass you.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A car dealership I go to has an old outdated sign posted at one entrance in their service area. I'm not going to bother to tell them it's not a lawful sign though. It references a different statute and doesn't include 30.06 anywhere on the sign.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    You know. Are you a law abiding, honest, ethical person or not?

I guess what I was wondering got lost in my post. To me it's wasn't about knowing the rest of the mall was posted rather........but knowing the Bass Pro Shop was not. Which in my mind means I can carry in BPS as long as I enter through their unposted doors and never venture out into the mall. My thinking is BPS is okay with concealed carry and since they lease their space can decide if concealed carry is allowed or not allowed.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I have a question, and I apologize if it's already been asked and answered and I missed it. If a store attached to the mall has a 30.06 sign posted, whose decision was it to post the sign; did the store decide to prohibit firearms, or did the owner of the mall property post the sign and just missed some other entrances? Can the stores themselves make the decision to prohibit firearms, independent of any mall policy re: firearms?

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    A car dealership I go to has an old outdated sign posted at one entrance in their service area. I'm not going to bother to tell them it's not a lawful sign though. It references a different statute and doesn't include 30.06 anywhere on the sign.

Absolutely!! Tell them nothing. If they can't understand what the law requires it is their problem, not ours (i.e., we CHL holders).

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I have a question, and I apologize if it's already been asked and answered and I missed it. If a store attached to the mall has a 30.06 sign posted, whose decision was it to post the sign; did the store decide to prohibit firearms, or did the owner of the mall property post the sign and just missed some other entrances? Can the stores themselves make the decision to prohibit firearms, independent of any mall policy re: firearms?

Suggestion: Find the entrance to the mall which is "unsigned" and consistently use it as the entrance and exit. You will be fine. Again, concealment is the strategy. Understanding what you will say "to your lawyer" if the need arises whereby you may have to protect yourself or others is tactical (this includes where you entered the mall!!).

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Suggestion: Find the entrance to the mall which is "unsigned" and consistently use it as the entrance and exit. You will be fine. Again, concealment is the strategy. Understanding what you will say "to your lawyer" if the need arises whereby you may have to protect yourself or others is tactical (this includes where you entered the mall!!).

Right - I understand the part about using an unsigned entrance; the mall closest to me makes that easy - the main food court entrance is unsigned. Anyway, what I'm wondering is who puts up the signs? There have been numerous examples here of malls that have some entrances signed and some not. If the malls are posting the signs per their policy, seems like many are being pretty careless about making sure all entrances are signed; you'd think the mall operators would know best where their entrance and exit points are. This makes me wonder if they're leaving it up to the stores to do it, or if maybe they're unaware that all entries must be posted. What would be really interesting would be to go in through a store that doesn't have a sign at the exterior entrance, but there is a sign at the exit point into the mall.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Right - I understand the part about using an unsigned entrance; the mall closest to me makes that easy - the main food court entrance is unsigned. Anyway, what I'm wondering is who puts up the signs? There have been numerous examples here of malls that have some entrances signed and some not. If the malls are posting the signs per their policy, seems like many are being pretty careless about making sure all entrances are signed; you'd think the mall operators would know best where their entrance and exit points are. This makes me wonder if they're leaving it up to the stores to do it, or if maybe they're unaware that all entries must be posted. What would be really interesting would be to go in through a store that doesn't have a sign at the exterior entrance, but there is a sign at the exit point into the mall.

I understand your curiosity. However, IMHO, I really don't try to understand the who and the motive for putting up the 30.06.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I was at a facility today with a non-compliant sign. Guy I was meeting with carries routinely, and I mentioned it. He laughed and asked if I ignored it like everyone else does.....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Because he's a customer and a gun-nut friend, and I knew he was "packing", so I was teasing him about the sign.

He put it up many years back because some of his folks were so worried about a "gun nut" coming into the premises. THEY "felt safer", and HE knew it was B.S., so everyone was happy....

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Because he's a customer and a gun-nut friend, and I knew he was "packing", so I was teasing him about the sign.

He put it up many years back because some of his folks were so worried about a "gun nut" coming into the premises. THEY "felt safer", and HE knew it was B.S., so everyone was happy....

I gotcha based on those circumstances. Happy New Year!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Right - . . . Anyway, what I'm wondering is who puts up the signs? There have been numerous examples here of malls that have some entrances signed and some not. If the malls are posting the signs per their policy, seems like many are being pretty careless about making sure all entrances are signed; you'd think the mall operators would know best where their entrance and exit points are. This makes me wonder if they're leaving it up to the stores to do it, or if maybe they're unaware that all entries must be posted. What would be really interesting would be to go in through a store that doesn't have a sign at the exterior entrance, but there is a sign at the exit point into the mall.

I'm going to take a stab at it. I imagine that one of either the mall owners or mall managers decide they need to post a no-CHL sign (for whatever reason). They tell someone else to do it or ask someone how to do it that is either incompetent, lazy, or ignorant, who orders X# of signs, who tells someone else to post the signs they ordered. The last person, either doesn't have the right number of signs, has the wrong signs, or doesn't feel the need to post signs at all the entrances.

Mix-ups at any level will result in entrances that are not properly posted. The more entrances, the higher chance at least one of those is not properly CHL posted.

Just an idea.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    It's one thing to carry a gun at one of these stores it's a completely different thing if you have to use it. It seems like many of you guys are not even thinking about having to use the gun that you carry just for the sake of carrying.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sorry - I don't "carry for the sake of carrying". I carry to expand my defensive options - and as such, view any impingement of same as being undesirable. I have used a gun before, and fully understand (and hope to avoid in the future) the consequences of such action. But given the alternative.....bad guy dies first if I have anything to do with it.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    I only read the first few pages of this thread and I was speaking from experience. I only recently got my CHL but, I've carried a gun in my truck for years, then about a year ago I was in a situation where I needed a gun but didn't have one. At that point I realized that I had been hauling the gun I carried around as a safety blanket and had never really considered what kind of trouble I might have to get myself out of IF I ever used it. So basically I had never really thought it through completely where I actually had to shoot someone and listening to some of the people in this thread talk about the fact that there might be a sign missing or it's worded wrong reminded me of me.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The signage is important only so that you're in total awareness of all aspects of the situation. "Sir, that mall has 30-06 signs!" "Well, I entered via THIS entrance, and saw no sign!" vs: "Yeah, but....."

Top Bottom