• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    found this post regarding bbl lengths and 308. I wish they had data for a 12.5" but 13.5" is close enough.

The Truth About Barrel Length, Muzzle Velocity and Accuracy - The Truth About Guns

readers digest version. Velocity starts off lower with 13.5" vs 16". 18", 20" etc, as expected, but accuracy out to 900 yards isn't compromised at all.
    My buddy has an HK 12.5" 308 with a specwar and its actually a really nice setup. The specwar tames that beast pretty well. We shot it out to 750 with a 4x ACOG and had no problems keeping it on an IPSC silhouette once we got the dope dialed in. Definitely more optimal setups for long range but it did just fine being stretched on out there. Its seriously make me consider building a 308 SBR but 12.5" 308 doesn't do much more than building a 270AR off one of my existing stamped lowers.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It is just a fad... Next year it will be the longest baarrel you can get. There is no way I would ever fire a .308 in the house, and that is the most cited use, close quarters. There are better solutions IMHO.

The concussion from the blast of all of the unused powder may be useful. You wouldn't even need to hit your target.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Whew. Short barrel .308 in the house would have everyone thinking they needed to answer the phone for the next couple of months...

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    It is just a fad... Next year it will be the longest baarrel you can get. There is no way I would ever fire a .308 in the house, and that is the most cited use, close quarters. There are better solutions IMHO.

The concussion from the blast of all of the unused powder may be useful. You wouldn't even need to hit your target.
    Who says an SBR is only good for CQB? Many people, including myself don't want to cart around a long ass gun for hunting. With the proper can its doesn't have any muzzle blast at all.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Who says an SBR is only good for CQB? Many people, including myself don't want to cart around a long ass gun for hunting. With the proper can its doesn't have any muzzle blast at all.
    I've taken my aimpoint pro equipped 11.5" 5.56 sbr out to 450yds on steel silhouette targets, and that's me shooting. I agree with you, most people don't quite grasp barrel lengths

sent from jennifer lawrence's bedroom

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I'm about to do two. I already have 150 or so mags for them.
    V51 HK51 clone:
    TF6wuJ4.jpg

PTR K3p G3K clone:
    NzBDWAQ.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The PTR 91 PDW (and similar PTR 51P PDW) are pretty solid and a blast to shoot (literally).

Adding a PWS muzzle brake got rid of most of the muzzle rise.

Took a little breaking in.

Add a Aimpoint Pro or similar, and at 25 yards you can put 60 rounds in one big hole.

The PTR 51P PDW comes ready to install a Sig brace (although the cap screws provided with the brace do not work, you have to use something a little shorter). Also has a rail welded on top (lacking in the PTR 91 PDW, but you can buy a bolt on).

Just a dirty cleanup after shooting...

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    You could get a .308 bullpup with a 16" barrel that is the same overall length as your 8" SBR, and get good velocity out of it, and be a manageable size.

Shooting targets at 450yds, an SBR would not be my first choice for firearm...

My 16" barrel Tavor, is shorter than my 10" barrel MP5.

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Meh, you can keep the shitty trigger, gas directly into your face, shitty mag changes and no prone shooting.

Theres no tavor equivalent 308 bullpup and I dont like rollerlocks.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The PTR 91 PDW (and similar PTR 51P PDW) are pretty solid and a blast to shoot (literally).

Adding a PWS muzzle brake got rid of most of the muzzle rise.

Took a little breaking in.

Add a Aimpoint Pro or similar, and at 25 yards you can put 60 rounds in one big hole.

The PTR 51P PDW comes ready to install a Sig brace (although the cap screws provided with the brace do not work, you have to use something a little shorter). Also has a rail welded on top (lacking in the PTR 91 PDW, but you can buy a bolt on).

Just a dirty cleanup after shooting...

I didn't have that problem. They got tight towards the bottom though. They're dirty, but they run like beasts.

0oEcStr.jpg

y6Epjaj.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    In mine, the cap screws would not go but about halfway. Something inside was interfering. Glad yours worked ok.

They are a lot of fun, aren't they.

And a good truck gun if it ever hits the fan.

Top Bottom