• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    If I go camping/hiking here in the North Texas area would a .40 S&W pistol be enough for any potential treats from animals typically in the area? Keep in mind that I am not a hunter so I have no background knowledge about encounters with animals. A .40 S&W pistol is the most powerful handgun I own at the moment so I assume it would be a better selection than one of my 9mm pistols.
    Capitol Armory ad

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    If I go camping/hiking here in the North Texas area would a .40 S&W pistol be enough for any potential treats from animals typically in the area? Keep in mind that I am not a hunter so I have no background knowledge about encounters with animals. A .40 S&W pistol is the most powerful handgun I own at the moment so I assume it would be a better selection than one of my 9mm pistols.
    Any difference would depend on the ammo, shot placement being more important than either caliber choice.

Worst case in North Texas- Mountain Lion? Maybe Black bear...

Probably more likely to have problems with two legged critters... snakes if it's warm (snake shot rounds).

I have camped in Tyler State Park with just a .40S&W... didn't think twice about it.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .40 is just fine.

I live on a 1700 acre ranch with the threat of 2 legged animals, coyotes, hogs, mountain lions and black panthers. I keep a S&W sigma .40 in my 4 wheeler at all times and on my person when the kids and I are walking. I have dropped a hog with it. A hog will probably give ya the biggest fit. I believe anything else isn't gonna wanna tangle with ya after the first shot goes off. Hogs get very aggressive when injured. Head,vitals or spine.

My .02

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .40 is just fine.

I live on a 1700 acre ranch with the threat of 2 legged animals, coyotes, hogs, mountain lions and black panthers. I keep a S&W sigma .40 in my 4 wheeler at all times and on my person when the kids and I are walking. I have dropped a hog with it. A hog will probably give ya the biggest fit. I believe anything else isn't gonna wanna tangle with ya after the first shot goes off. Hogs get very aggressive when injured. Head,vitals or spine.

My .02
    Oh also, your 9mm will be just fine also. Carry what your comfortable with. I carry my 19x all the time. It's application will be just as effective for my above post. ^^^

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    .40 is just fine.

My .02
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have seen them.
    Biologist and game wardens say they aren't here.

Top Bottom