• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Factory 180gr 40 will be fine but no good on snakes. Someplace in dumping 2 mags of 115 9mm the hog was a down, 1 or 2 of 40 did the job. Bobcats usually run, cougar ?, yotes will hunt you. 2 legged, do us a favor and empty the mag.

Toni77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2017
    Factory 180gr 40 will be fine but no good on snakes. Someplace in dumping 2 mags of 115 9mm the hog was a down, 1 or 2 of 40 did the job. Bobcats usually run, cougar ?, yotes will hunt you. 2 legged, do us a favor and empty the mag.

2 legs like .. an ostrich?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    And for any of y’all entertaining the fantasy of being able to react before a bear decides to put you on the menu;

This is why I carry a big ass wheel gun. No hair to jam the action if I have to make a contact shot.

If I honestly thought I would have time to react before getting the teeth I would carry a 10mm loaded Underwood hot.

I peed a little.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There is no significant difference in lethality shot for shot between 9mm and .40.
    Or really even 45 acp for that matter. Modern bullet designs have basically made that argument a moot point. You have to go up to 357 mag and 10mm to see any measurable advantages.

I would not feel under gunned with a 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    When it comes to carrying in the boonies, I carry either my .40 or my .45. First round or two may be a quality JHP, but all others will be a flat nose hard cast or FMJ.

Bear, hog, cat...you want deep penetration. That said, humans, cats and coyotes are pretty easy to kill, but when all are potential attackers, I know my hard cast will work fine on the thin skinned creatures, but not so convinced the JHP’s work on the bigger and thicker ones...

My favorite boonies rounds are from Underwood Ammo:

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...ain-hard-cast-flat-nose?variant=7865931792441

And when it comes to judging rounds for killing game, I prefer the Taylor Knock Out formula to the typical foot pounds of energy number.

Tim Sundles of Buffalo Bore ammo, long time outdoorsman from ID, explains it well:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=173

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    What round for bigfoot?

So while I’m sure this was a facetious poke, based on hundreds of witness accounts including hunters and cops, it’s best to not point a gun at these things...they tend to get more hostile.

I you want to actually listen to compelling eyewitness accounts, PM me and I’ll send you some links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I peed a little.
    From the time that bear sticks his head out the door to the time he made contact with the camera is about 2 seconds, give or take a half second, you will generally not have time to line up your sights. Hence my contact shot on any part I can stick the muzzle against to make it let me go.

Top Bottom