• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    As I understand it, HB308 would have essentially done away with almost all statutory off-limit locations including 51% establishments. It didn't pass last session because all the political capital was used up on open carry and campus carry, but this is what we need to focus on for 2017. That would render all this nonsense moot.
    Gun Zone Deals

bdee

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2015
    Texas
    Can the state put up a ballot initiative without the legislature, or is that only every two years as well?

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I'm not aware that Texas even has an option for statewide ballot initiatives. I know cities do them sometimes, but I can't recall one ever being done on a statewide level.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I assumed he was talking about ballot initiatives where if you collect enough signatures on a petition, you can force a vote to be held on a particular issue without going through the legislature. California does this a lot, but I am not aware that Texas has ever done it on a statewide level, nor can I ever recall any attempt to do one. That's why I suspect we don't have the option, but I don't know that for sure and would welcome your insight.

Last edited:

bdee

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2015
    Texas
    I assumed he was talking about ballot initiatives where if you collect enough signatures on a petition, you can force a vote to be held on a particular issue without going through the legislature. California does this a lot, but I am not aware that Texas has ever done it on a statewide level, nor can I ever recall any attempt to do one. That's why I suspect we don't have the option, but I don't know that for sure and would welcome your insight.
    New to the state, I have no idea about the logistics or the barriers to even try this.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Texas does not have statewide ballot initiative.

Wezel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Was at the Aquarium yesterday. 06, 07 and 51% posted! My goodness!!!

i guess any group that would be running a place like this would be the ultimate touchy-feely crowd.

Another potential sad gun free zone.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

i guess any group that would be running a place like this would be the ultimate touchy-feely crowd.

There's an entire thread on the aquarium and 51% now.

I bet not many schools can take field trips to bars.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Is 51% of their sales income for "on premises" consumption? I might have missed it but what Aquarium are we talking about?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Hence the aquarium is now a bar and not suitable for children. This should be brought up at EVERY school board meeting when there's a field trip planned to the Aquarium.

Top Bottom