APOD Firearms

6 dead, dying or obsolete handgun cartridges. An article by Field n Stream.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    bolt pistols always seemed cool AF

now, anyone have a pump action pistol?
    Guns International

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    WELP time to make up a prototype and get to the patent office i guess.

dont worry, it will be EXPENSIVE
    \
    --
    for clarity, it will never happen, atleast by me, if i had that talent i would already have the .32 racoon gun

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I collect 'mouse-guns' so I also reload 7.65 Browning and 6.35 Browning.

I am still looking for a 38WCF (38-40) revolver (Frontier models) but at least I have a Winchester 1892 SRC for the 38WCF.

Sometimes Obsolete means CHEAP because ammo is hard to find.
    Collecting these can be addictive.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    As for .32 acp it is a great small game rifle round. I wish I could find a rifle chambered for it instead of using a 308 and adapter.

Maybe find an old Enfield .303 barrel, cut it down and rechamber the new blank in .32acp? Stick in in a rolling block action?

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    that is very similar to the article ben posted, fella use a m1 barrel, mated to an h&r .410 break open. rolling block is an interesting thought however.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Good luck with that aimed shot on a charging bear.

I went back and timed it from the moment he started to come out the door....... 3 SECONDS!!!

The idea of a contact shot is why I started carrying a revolver in the woods. A semi might get a slide related jam/FTC and more than one shot could be very important. That said, it is more likely I will run into tweakers than an angry bear. Not a lot more likely, but some. Still, I'm in the habit of planning for the possible as well as the probable. I EDC two 17rd mags on the offside... I probably won't need them, but ya never know.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    How about putting on a small
    Martini Henry action just to Be different

Cob,

FYI, my "little brother" has a scoped/single-shot .38SPL rifle on an AUSSIE CADET ACTION that is PURE DEATH with 125 grain GCCB handloads on anything up to & including coyotes/coydogs out to 150M & with that long barrel it makes very little noise.
    (IF I could find one, I'd build myself a small game rifle on an Aussie cadet, too!!!)

yours, satx

Last edited:

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    My 2 cents, again…

I’m very fond of the .40 S&W!

I carried a horrible Glock 23 for a duty weapon for more than 2 years.
    Since I’ve owned, and shot several different magnum revolvers, the .40 didn’t bother me with it’s recoil, which to me is more like a .357.
    The FBI was the one who got the ball rolling on having a shorter round that still shot the 10mm 180gr bullet at the same velocity.
    So…. S&W came up with the idea of shortening the case, and upping the pressure to equal the 10mm velocities.
    Now, I can see where if you’re shooting pipsqueak rounds, then you move up to the .40, it might be a little intimidating.
    To me, the FBI is, and has allowed college graduates come into its ranks that, A) Never have shot any kind of firearm, and B) They have allowed in it’s ranks leftists and progressive college graduates that are anti-firearm ownership of any kind.
    To me, does this help such a prestigious law enforcement agency?!?
    Now, after the whole FISA debacle, and the total weakness of the type of agents they are recruiting, I can see why they changed to the 9mm. Because it’s very mild to shoot. Basically, they went back to using a round that equals the .38 Special, because someone related to a top director hurt their wrist, and or hand because the mean, big, nasty .40 S&W was too much for them!
    With 155 to 165 gr bullets, the .40 equals.357 loads. I think I would rather go with the .40, myself.
    When I was in the Sheriffs Office, there was a car with 2 men that decided one night that any cop car they saw they were going to light it up.
    They did so to 2, and thankfully no Officer was seriously injured.
    Well, these 2 perps were resting in a park, and were caught off guard by 3 units looking for them.
    They were in an early 80’s Full Size Blazer, and were surprised.
    The guy in the passenger seat jumped out, and ran. The guy in the drivers seat decided he was going to stick around, and shoot it out. The officers on duty turned that Blazer into Swiss cheese, along with the perp inside.
    The .40’s worked admirably that night, and penetrated every time to get the perp.
    Now, if you ask me, I don’t think a 9mm will do that with every shot.
    Sure it’s good against soft tissue when perps are out in the open, but when you have hard objects blocking a perps vitals, then I think the 9mm lacks in penetrating those objects.
    Is the .40 hard to control? No.
    Does it take practice to get used to it? Yes. But if practiced enough, it is as good as any other service round out there that came along.
    The only gripe I have is with the Glock 23 at that time. It would bulge the cases so bad on the .40’s, because it didn’t have full case support.
    To me, I like the .40, and I think it’s here to stay.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My 2 cents, again…

I’m very fond of the .40 S&W!

I carried a horrible Glock 23 for a duty weapon for more than 2 years.
    Since I’ve owned, and shot several different magnum revolvers, the .40 didn’t bother me with it’s recoil, which to me is more like a .357.
    The FBI was the one who got the ball rolling on having a shorter round that still shot the 10mm 180gr bullet at the same velocity.
    So…. S&W came up with the idea of shortening the case, and upping the pressure to equal the 10mm velocities.
    Now, I can see where if you’re shooting pipsqueak rounds, then you move up to the .40, it might be a little intimidating.
    To me, the FBI is, and has allowed college graduates come into its ranks that, A) Never have shot any kind of firearm, and B) They have allowed in it’s ranks leftists and progressive college graduates that are anti-firearm ownership of any kind.
    To me, does this help such a prestigious law enforcement agency?!?
    Now, after the whole FISA debacle, and the total weakness of the type of agents they are recruiting, I can see why they changed to the 9mm. Because it’s very mild to shoot. Basically, they went back to using a round that equals the .38 Special, because someone related to a top director hurt their wrist, and or hand because the mean, big, nasty .40 S&W was too much for them!
    With 155 to 165 gr bullets, the .40 equals.357 loads. I think I would rather go with the .40, myself.
    When I was in the Sheriffs Office, there was a car with 2 men that decided one night that any cop car they saw they were going to light it up.
    They did so to 2, and thankfully no Officer was seriously injured.
    Well, these 2 perps were resting in a park, and were caught off guard by 3 units looking for them.
    They were in an early 80’s Full Size Blazer, and were surprised.
    The guy in the passenger seat jumped out, and ran. The guy in the drivers seat decided he was going to stick around, and shoot it out. The officers on duty turned that Blazer into Swiss cheese, along with the perp inside.
    The .40’s worked admirably that night, and penetrated every time to get the perp.
    Now, if you ask me, I don’t think a 9mm will do that with every shot.
    Sure it’s good against soft tissue when perps are out in the open, but when you have hard objects blocking a perps vitals, then I think the 9mm lacks in penetrating those objects.
    Is the .40 hard to control? No.
    Does it take practice to get used to it? Yes. But if practiced enough, it is as good as any other service round out there that came along.
    The only gripe I have is with the Glock 23 at that time. It would bulge the cases so bad on the .40’s, because it didn’t have full case support.
    To me, I like the .40, and I think it’s here to stay.

Hawk

HawkeyeSATX,

FYI, I "have my name in the pot" for an old-school S&W 4013TSW in .40S&W, as PORTUGAL now approves of the .40 for CIVILIAN/POLICE concealed carry, as the "powers that be" could NOT find any .major military force that issues that caliber.)
    (IMO, IF you have a need for more than 9 rounds of .40S&W JHP for home/self defense, you have a job for a RIOT-GUN or even a MBR.)

yours, satx

Cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2021
    Midland texas
    Tried trap gun built on a full size martini action have 22 hornets that were built on them but alas never had the opportunity to try
    One out

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Here’s my choice for .40 S&W!

73e979a995507b6f2cdd8b22442a0527.jpg

cfb560b3c0339cd8c597438991368146.jpg

Hawk

Top Bottom