Guns International

Abandon ship! When to leave the US and where to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

Take what Scott Oliver says with a POUND of salt inasmuch as,
    1. He is NOT an attorney in ANY nation,
    2. He is ANTI-firearms in general & ANTI-handguns specifically,
    3. Crime Rates in MOST of CR & Belize are actually LOWER than in the USA. Just like in any country, both have "bad neighborhoods", = In my experience, IF you don't associate with criminals, don't consume/deal in narcotics & stay out of the WORST neighborhoods of the major cites, you'll NOT be victimized OR get into trouble with the police.
    (Oddly enough, statistically, NICARAGUA & PARAGUAY are the 2 safest nations in the Americas.)
    4. Costa Rica has NO military forces & the National Police routinely issue carry concealed licenses to PENSIONADOS & their own law-abiding citizens. = The "lead time" is about 30-40 days; the cost for a handgun permit is about 35.ooUSD & licensees can own/carry FA weapons!!!
    (One of the somewhat amusing things about the gun laws of CR is that "private individuals" may NOT "possess or directly control a quantity of firearms that is greater than ten percent" of the TOTAL NUMBER of firearms owned by the combined police & internal security forces of the republic. = That would be a REALLY BIG gun collection!).
    5.Belize issues carry permits on a "MAY issue" basis, though farmers, ranchers, businessmen, active & retired military personnel & police officers of ANY Western nation qualify easily.
    6. Neither Belize nor CR 's governments are any more corrupt than the USA & Canada.
    (Having lived & been stationed with the USA in Washington, DC for years, I know a bit about "corrupt government".)

As you've doubtless guessed, I've spent a LOT of time "way down South" & working for the USA & OAS.

just my OPINION, satx
    Venture Surplus ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

Incidentally, I'm NOT an attorney, do NOT give legal advice & if you desire/need such legal advice, consult an attorney in the nation that you're interested in learning the laws of.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF you happen to be either US, UK or Canadian police or armed forces retired, NICARAGUA is offering many inducements to retire there, including LIFETIME freedom from local customs duties, taxes & a laundry list of other "goodies" for us, under the QUALIFIED RETIRED PERSONS PROGRAM.
    (One of the "inducements" is a CARRY CONCEALED license, issued for LIFE for about 22.ooUSD.).

Real estate, agricultural land, building & hiring "domestic help" is about HALF of typical US costs.

BELIZE, COLUMBIA, COSTA RICA, ECUADOR, IRELAND, MALTA, PANAMA, PARAGUAY, PERU, THAILAND & URAGUAY all have similar programs, btw but NICARAGUA seems to be "in the lead" with "seductions for military/police retirees" right now..

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cbigclarke,

Fyi, my lady & I are pleased to be "seduced" by one of those countries. - IF we get offered another "fact-finding trip", we will go.

Fwiw, I can hire a "live-in" RN for my lady for about 300.ooUSD per MONTH, in 4 of those countries.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cbigclarke,

Fwiw, MALAYSIA has "looked at the other 'qualified retiree programs', world-wide" & has "gone even farther" with NEW inducements to retire there: For example, a ONE PERCENT interest program, with 10% down & w/o "closing costs", to help "persons over 55 years old" to buy a condo.
    (Condos, in most of Malaysia, are about 35% of prices for equivalent US properties. - Condos in the "ritzy area" of KL are about HALF of "silk-stocking area" US costs.)

The "new & improved" retiree-seduction program is called: Malaysia, My Second Home/2015.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mexican_Hippie,

Fwiw, I've only visited friends there. = My Army buddies seem HAPPY & living "very comfortably" on their pensions.

I don't know about the "gun control laws" for the "general public" but US/CDN/UK retired military & police can easily get a carry concealed license for handguns up to .36 caliber and for shotguns of any sort by "especial exception"/court order.
    (I didn't ask about rifle permits.)

The "disqualifier" for us (for all of Asia) is that we would hardly ever get to see our much beloved daughter, who is on the UT/Austin faculty.
    (The CA nations that we are "looking at" for OCONUS retirement are within 3 hours of DFW/Hobby by airliner.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

You are welcome. = I've done considerable research on the BEST places to retire "way down South of the Border".

What I find most interesting is how the various nations are "competing" for us retired military/police retirees to move to their countries. = When one country adds another "seduction" to get us to land there, the others rush to improve on that "new benefit".

yours, satx

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've done considerable research on the BEST places to retire "way down South of the Border".

What I find most interesting is how the various nations are "competing" for us retired military/police retirees to move to their countries.
    Have you talked with anyone that has stayed in those countries for a long time? I'd be a bit leery of one trying to lure me in. Makes me think there would be a honeymoon period where all is great, and then things will change.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

One of the CW3 & his gracious lady (that I served with in South America & correspond with fairly regularly) has been retired there for just over 12 years & tells me that things there are as advertised.

Claude said that while everywhere has "issues", Leon is a grand place to live & that they wouldn't even consider moving back to CONUS. = He said that it costs them about 23,000.ooUSD per year.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    benenglish,

NOPE. - I have a life & no time for such foolishness as posting links for info that you can find on google or any number of other search engines.
    (People asking for "links", to avoid doing their own research, is one of my "pet peeves".)

May I suggest that you get a copy of THE INTERNATIONAL LIVING GUIDE TO RETIRING OVERSEAS ON A BUDGET from a public library & read it for yourself?

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    BIGPAPIGREG,

YES, it is "different", as I don't ask for help in looking for info until AFTER I've "made a good faith effort" to find the info for myself. I
    F the people who constantly ask for "links" spent the time that they spent asking for a link in looking on google.com and/or on any number of common search engines, they would know the answer in seconds.

It has been my long experience that well over 90% such requests are from people who just want to be a "PITA".=====> On most internet forums, this is known as, "assigning homework".

just my opinion, satx

Top Bottom