Hurley's Gold

Abandon ship! When to leave the US and where to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    you are one piece of work Tex, you obviously don't know Ben very well....that's what we do on this forum, hell that's what this forum is all about...HELPING each other out. Never would have figures you for one of them kinda folks, guess I need to do better homework.

just my opinion, GJF
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was always taught that when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

The guff shown towards Ben is unwanted. He has probably provided more accurate and useful information on a broader range of topics than any other member I could think of. And without bias or predisposition. The idea that he fits some preconceived notion you have in your head is completely unfounded and lacks any semblance of merit.

It's just wrong and I'd say it's more likely you don't know the answer and aren't willing to look because it may tarnish the dream world you envision.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I did quite a bit of research about retirement way down south before I retired and never ran across anything about specific attempts court LE retirees. Now that I know such a thing exists, I have something specific to look for. Thanks, SA, for letting me know that I need to do more research.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    BIGPAPIGREG,

NOPE. I don't know "Ben" at all. - If I've misjudged his motives, I apologize to him/everyone.

As I said, it has been my long experience that MOST of such requests for a "link" is an attempt to get someone else to do "homework" that the requester is too slothful to look for themselves.

It must also be said that there is more MBWP on the "worldwidewierd' than there are documented facts.

I did post the title of a good book for him to check out from a good public library. - In my experience, non-fiction books are more likely to be FACTUAL than something from an unknown source on the internet.

Also, if a person wants retirement information about a particular nation, a call or letter to the consular section of their embassy will get you the latest & correct information.

just my OPINIONS, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Younggun,

IF a sovereign nation or one of the agencies of a country are willing to give you an answer in writing and on the agency's official letterhead, it has been my experience that they will follow through with the requested action, at least in the specific case of the person addressed in the letter.

That said, it has been my experience that the VAST MAJORITY of "link seekers" are:
    1. too lazy to look for info themselves, when the information is readily available
    or
    2. they don't like the answer that someone else has posted
    or
    3. they just want to argue about _________
    or
    4. they are just being a PITA. = In my experience, that's the MOST common reason.
    (In this case, I misjudged the requester "by reflex", because of past "bad experiences" & should NOT have responded in that way.)

Just ONE example: On another forum that I belong to, I was repeatedly asked by another member to PROVE that the official US Census data for 1920 was correct in every detail & to provide him "links to the methods of data collection" & provide him additional data to PROVE that the census was "done properly".
    (I finally said on that forum, in frustration, that: "I don't much care what you think or feel about the 1920 census data & don't plan to waste any more time on your query." - After that post, 2 other forum members said that my comment was, "unresponsive", "dismissive" &"mean-spirited".)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Saltyag2010,

"disclosure I didn't read it". =====> I feel like Diogenes, as I've found an honest man. = YOU.

Fwiw, many people on "the worldwidewierd" have OPINIONS but have generally read almost nothing & know/understand even less than that about the subjects that they comment upon.
    (CHUCKLE)

Fyi, just this morning, I read a series of posts on a WBTS forum in which one of the members said essentially: I'm right & _________ is wrong, as I've been a re-enactor longer than nearly all the people here on _______________.

Also, I would be "less than honest" if I didn't tell you that I believe that "info" on the Internet is just as likely to be fiction as it is to be factual & therefore take everything there "with a pound of salt", if it is contrary to "NON-www" sources like published/nonfiction books & public documents.

yours, satx

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get allodial title to property in any country? Not sure why any government would agree to that as it would curb their ability to control and tax you, but maybe it's possible?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Saltyag2010,

"disclosure I didn't read it". =====> I feel like Diogenes, as I've found an honest man. = YOU.

Fwiw, many people on "the worldwidewierd" have OPINIONS but have generally read almost nothing & know/understand even less than that about the subjects that they comment upon.
    (CHUCKLE)

Fyi, just this morning, I read a series of posts on a WBTS forum in which one of the members said essentially: I'm right & _________ is wrong, as I've been a re-enactor longer than nearly all the people here on _______________.

Also, I would be "less than honest" if I didn't tell you that I believe that "info" on the Internet is just as likely to be fiction as it is to be factual & therefore take everything there "with a pound of salt", if it is contrary to "NON-www" sources like published/nonfiction books & public documents.

yours, satx
    I just wanted to try and get information from a credible source.

I googled Belize retirement and there's a ton of information but I don't trust any of it. Mostly because I don't care.

Also, I'm 27 and just 1/5 or so into my career. I'm not ready to retire. I don't need to read about retirement incentives in Central America but you seem to have sources that are more credible than a few mins on Google.

Earlier Ben asked about who could qualify and you semi-attacked him for it when you could have just sent him a source so that he could look it up for himself.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I just wanted to try and get information from a credible source.

I googled Belize retirement and there's a ton of information but I don't trust any of it. Mostly because I don't care.

Also, I'm 27 and just 1/5 or so into my career. I'm not ready to retire. I don't need to read about retirement incentives in Central America but you seem to have sources that are more credible than a few mins on Google.

Earlier Ben asked about who could qualify and you semi-attacked him for it when you could have just sent him a source so that he could look it up for himself.

Does that mean you plan on working until you are 135?

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Having been on the Internet longer than many have been alive I have found that people who post a lot of data and never provide a source (which could anything from a link to a news article in a paper or a direct link to the source itself) don't do so because in fact they don't have a source, more often than not they are doing nothing but pushing a personal opinion as if it were a fact. While I must agree that many folks are doing nothing but jerking your chain and "assigning homework" I have found its rare that the link is ever followed...this is because the link in effect validates your premise and to follow the link results in discovering your are wrong and few folks can deal with that and its facts.

Its a fine line between providing a link to folks you know and dialog with on a regular basis to get them headed in the right direction and telling some one whose only contribution to the thread was to ask for a link...there is no shortage of those on here, I call them LoCons (low contributors NOT to be confused with low post counts).

That said, few people can do a decent search for info even in todays world of plan text searching.

Google Search, page 1 results:

1) Search: various nations are "competing" for us retired military/police retirees to move to their countries

Results: About 732,000 results (0.72 seconds)

Search Results

1. Abandon ship! When to leave the US and where to? - Page 16 - Texas ...

www.texasguntalk.com › Forum › OFF-TOPIC › Politics
    2. The Economic Conundrum of an Aging Population ...

www.worldwatch.org/node/560
    3. [PDF]U.S. Military Retired Handbook - Brooke Army Medical Center

www.bamc.amedd.army.mil/.../us-...
    4. A Timeline of CIA Atrocities - Huppi

www.huppi.com/kangaroo/CIAtimeline.html
    5. Indonesian National Armed Forces - Wikipedia, the free ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_National_Armed_Forces
    6. [PDF]2014 U.S. Military Retired Handbook

contentz.mkt6426.com/lp/19265/.../2014_U.S._Military_Retired_0.pdf
    7. The Plight of American Manufacturing

prospect.org/article/plight-american-manufacturing
    8. Privatizing War How affairs of state are outsourced to ...

https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/silver.htm
    9. America's Child Soldiers | The Nation

www.thenation.com/article/177603/americas-child-soldiers
    10. [PDF]Police Personnel Challenges After September 11 - RAND ...

www.rand.org/content/dam/.../RAND_OP154.pdf

2) Search: countries providing military and police benefits to relocate there

Results: About 389,000,000 results (0.74 seconds)

Search Results
      1. How America's Police Became an Army: The 1033 Program

www.newsweek.com/how-americas-police-became-army-1033-program-...
      2. Five Hot Jobs for Ex-Military Personnel | Military.com

www.military.com/.../military.../hot-jobs-for-former-militar...
      3. War Gear Flows to Police Departments - NYTimes.com

www.nytimes.com/.../war-gear-flows-to-police-depart...The New York Times
      4. Not Just Ferguson: 11 Eye-Opening Facts About America's ...

billmoyers.com/.../not-just-ferguson-11-eye-opening-facts...
      5. Police state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_state
      6. Defense Logistics Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Logistics_Agency
      7. St. Louis County chief defends militarization of police

www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/...st.../15736907/
      8. [h=3]Military. United Nations Peacekeeping[/h]www.un.org › Home › Peacekeeping issues
        Security ...
      9. Pentagon struggles to defend 'militarization' of police forces ...

www.csmonitor.com/.../Military/.../Pentag...
      10. Police Overreach: What Are Military-Grade Weapons Doing ...

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Does that mean you plan on working until you are 135?
    No I've only had 1 full time job at a time since 2010 (up to 4 part time jobs at a time before that). I'm just counting myself being in the workforce since I've had health insurance. I wouldn't count part time employment as me being in the workforce.

I'm planning to retire around 50 if I can keep at the pace I'm going. I'm sure kids will screw that up and I'll spend money on them one day.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I know a guy who sold his business an moved to Central America. He loves it there, lives like a king for peanuts, has a hot little latino girl, and doesn't miss the US at all.

Me personally, I don't see myself ever moving from Texas. I guess it could happen, but I don't foresee a set of circumstances right now. I like living here, its one of the most gun friendly, people friendly, bar b q available places on earth. And besides that, its home.

Top Bottom