• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Better plan that what they are doing no?

Agree there is a betterer plan.

I do not like the idea of pressing the trigger on a gun to prepare it for carry unless it is towards a specifically designed backstop. We had to do that when sealing the gun.

More importantly, I did not like relying on someone else's word regarding the condition of a firearm I might need to use. Don't we teach that? "Never take another's word".

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I do not like the idea of pressing the trigger on a gun to prepare it for carry unless it is towards a specifically designed backstop. We had to do that when sealing the gun.

More importantly, I did not like relying on someone else's word regarding the condition of a firearm I might need to use. Don't we teach that? "Never take another's word".

So cops go to the academy. Where do the leaders who set policy get trained? What is the standard or "best practice" for handling long guns while coming on and off of duty?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I just watched the video in the link, an interview with the instructor. I was not so impressed. His laugh and shrug off at the end pushed the wrong button.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    3 times? There P&Ps need to be reworked.
    Agreed.

Does anyone know how this is being done? Are shotguns being handed off from one person to another at end of shift? Do they stay in the vehicles? I'm trying to figure out why these checks are being done in the parking lot.

If they are going to have officers press the triggers, then they need a safe place for the muzzle to be placed.
    Again, agreed.

The only bureau with which I have personal experience keeps long guns racked, inside the building. They are cleared and checked in after every outing, then formally checked out to the next Special Agent who needs one. Clearing is done in a designated area, in the "weapons room" (actually a light-duty steel and concrete vault disguised to look like a regular conference room), and the final dry fire is done with the muzzle inside a clearing trap similar to this one:

minicheckit_zps3860228e.jpg

Handguns arrived at the office holstered and loaded and never came out of the holster. If they needed to unholster, for any reason, the Special Agent would go through roughly the same procedures as with long guns - go to the designated area and use the trap.

I realize that procedures like that are OK when you're dealing with (maybe) 100 Special Agents who don't patrol and rarely break out the long guns. They are unworkable for masses of police officers changing cars and handing off equipment from one shift to another.

Still, I can't help but think there's a better way than "Look twice, then try to shoot the passenger seat."

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Some of you need calm down. Your prejudice is showing again. Clearly there is a problem. I imagine it will be addressed pretty quickly.

We just had a member here with a pages long thread who had an ND. I don't recall the level of outrage for him.

The level of cop hate here from some of you is just disproportionate.

I am interested Jon the solutions, the procedures YOU would have for issuing a firearm to an officer coming on duty. Remember, the officer picks up the shotgun at work, he does not take it home. If additional training is part of your plan, Please when that training will take place in relation to the officers work schedule, and how the training will be paid for.

Ah, the old, "If you're going to criticize, you need to be able to do it better / fix the problem!" fallacy.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    8 times accidental discharges of shotguns in last 2 years? wow. Very disappointed by the answer given by the Head Firearms Instructor to the question "are these accidents preventable"?

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Who else dry fires to safety check? I sure as hell don't, unless at a range, but not even then usually. Personally, I don't even see the use of dry practice.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, this is OT and I apologize in advance. Still, I feel compelled to respond.

Personally, I don't even see the use of dry practice.
    Want to win at any shooting sport? Want to just be a good shot? Dry fire is mandatory for any real achievement in shooting.

There are extremely credible sources who maintain that you should dry fire 100 times for every live round fired. The massive, steamrolling-over-all-the-competition, Chinese machine for turning out Olympic medalists in the shooting sports has shooters doing dry fire only for as much as FOUR YEARS before trainees are allowed to fire even a single round of live ammo.

Dry fire works. It is incredibly valuable in many ways but discussion of it is OT in this thread. If you're curious, start a thread on "Is dry fire worthwhile?" and I'll be happy to respond with a good deal more info.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Military

You should try dry fire practice.

Yeah, good point. I have, a lot. I stopped when I realized that it doesn't simulate recoil, so what's the point. Once you have developed muscle memory and have good shooting mechanics, there should be no problem. Plus, there is always a risk pulling the trigger in your home. Just my thoughts.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Who else dry fires to safety check? I sure as hell don't, unless at a range, but not even then usually. Personally, I don't even see the use of dry practice.

It is not a safety check, really. They want to carry with the gun not cocked. Gotta press the trigger on a shotgun to do that....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yeah, good point. I have, a lot. I stopped when I realized that it doesn't simulate recoil, so what's the point. Once you have developed muscle memory and have good shooting mechanics, there should be no problem. Plus, there is always a risk pulling the trigger in your home. Just my thoughts.

My biggest issue with Glocks is having to press the trigger to take it down. I always cringe......

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom