• Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Anyine hace an ID on the shooter?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CNN interviewed local woman who says the person people thought was the shooter is a member of a local family...but would not say more.

Never did I expect this to happen there.

We gotta get away from this mentality as people concerned about self defense. The places where we would often not expect it to happen are often the places where it is easiest for it to happen. Violence happens everywhere. It may be underreported historically from rural areas, but it happens there as well.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Aren't places of worship gun free zones? Been awhile since my class so I might be mistaken.

Churches were originally off-limits by statute but that changed at some point (not exactly sure when, not going to look it up but I believe it was in the mid-2000's or so). Now, they must post 30.06/30.07 to ban carry like most any other establishment that's not a bar, jail, sports stadium or courthouse.

fwiw, the way the statute was changed is very confusing. Rather than just striking from the Penal Code the language prohibiting carry in church, they added a line saying something to the effect of "this does not apply to section (x) (y) or (z)", where (x) or whatever was the language prohibiting carry in church.

I don't know if this church was posted or not. Given it's a small town church in rural Texas, I would doubt it. But I don't know.

GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como
    Condolences to all affected by this evil act. Prayers to everyone affected by this cowardly act. This just sickens me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Hence my wording and disclaimer. You know how the interbutts are.

In fact, go ahead and delete my post in question.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Rep. Vicente Gonzalez just said on CNN that the shooter was "Sam Hyde" and he was not of the community.

But in researching "Sam Hyde" that is a name that comes up for all sorts of nefarious events and so that isn't likely to be the actual name of the shooter. Gonzalez has likely been duped.

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    Churches were originally off-limits by statute but that changed at some point (not exactly sure when, not going to look it up but I believe it was in the mid-2000's or so). Now, they must post 30.06/30.07 to ban carry like most any other establishment that's not a bar, jail, sports stadium or courthouse.

fwiw, the way the statute was changed is very confusing. Rather than just striking from the Penal Code the language prohibiting carry in church, they added a line saying something to the effect of "this does not apply to section (x) (y) or (z)", where (x) or whatever was the language prohibiting carry in church.

I don't know if this church was posted or not. Given it's a small town church in rural Texas, I would doubt it. But I don't know.
    Thanks for the info, my only knowledge in this area was from my CHL class and it was stated incorrectly that you could not carry in a place of worship.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    Can we not do that right now.

at 3.40PM CNN not saying anything about shooter other than died after short police chase (no confirm if hot by police or self).
    Not trying to be doing that... My question was not rhetorical to drive a point. Just curious as other comments stated "their churches allowed carry" and the story of license holder trying to reach his car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Rep. Vicente Gonzalez just said on CNN that the shooter was "Sam Hyde" and he was not of the community.

But in researching "Sam Hyde" that is a name that comes up for all sorts of nefarious events and so that isn't likely to be the actual name of the shooter. Gonzalez has likely been duped.

"Sam Hyde" is being put forward as the perp every time, by /pol/.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks for the info, my only knowledge in this area was from my CHL class and it was stated incorrectly that you could not carry in a place of worship.

Well, that may not have been incorrect when you took the class. As I said, they used to be statutorily off limits but at some point the law changed. But again, the way the Legislature changed it still causes a great deal of confusion and misinformation to be floating about.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    NY Times now ID's shooter as Devin P(atrick) Kelley, 26.

White male, of New Braunfels (other sources)

D7vAUpz.png

Kelley received a diploma from New Braunfels High School. He is a veteran of the US Air Force where he worked with logistics and supply.

In 2013, he briefly volunteered as a teacher's at Kingsville FBC, teaching 4-6 year old children about the Bible.

cpNbi5T.png

Top Bottom