TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    LINK to this???

They have to comply with the court order

I've made multiple google searches using keywords relevant to the shooting and including "call history", cellular carrier", "phone service", etc and can find no mention of the cellular carrier being mentioned or any claims that that the carrier refused to release records under court order or warrant. No mention of it at all.

I did find links concerning Apple, posted above, relating the the FBI not contacting them withing 48hrs and Apple offering to give advice on getting information from the phone but still unwilling to hack their own system, but nothing relevant to the carrier.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    FWIW, iCloud backups are currently the most useful tool law enforcement has for gaining intel from an iPhone. Provided the user set it up, of course. Once you gain access to the user's iCloud credentials (which is typically trivial, and Apple can assist under court order), you merely restore the backup to any device of your choosing and peruse to your heart's content.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've never trusted any sort of cloud storage. Not that I have much to store, just seems like it's far more vulnerable.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It's pretty easy to turn on Windows' built in encryption. Just click the start button, type in bitlocker in the search bar, and go from there. It's not great, but it's better than nothing.
    I guess it's a good thing I'm not, or do I ever plan on being, a mass murderer. I live among geeks, but never really thought to encrypt things like that or even think to ask about things like that. They start talking shop my selective hearing kicks in.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    It's pretty easy to turn on Windows' built in encryption. Just click the start button, type in bitlocker in the search bar, and go from there. It's not great, but it's better than nothing.
    I don't believe bitlocker is on every edition of Windows. I am still running 7 and don't have it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I...never really thought to encrypt things like that or even think to ask about things like that. ...
    I don't think I've run my primary home computer without full disk encryption in nearly 2 decades, maybe longer. I always have a couple that get wiped and rebuilt while I play with them; they don't get encrypted.

But my main machine contains everything about my life. That's for me to know and no one else to find out. I've instructed my sister that if I die, she shouldn't even try to get into my computer. She has the name of a friend of mine who can come by, wipe it, and then install an OS for her.

Top Bottom