Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Oof! As more info comes out, it just gets worse .

Jesus. I know of cops who have committed suicide for a lot less. A lot less. This guy better be seeing a counselor and often.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Curious if this is the same LEO who was earlier reported to have not taken a shot because of a question about his backstop.

My opinion remains unchanged. TPC 9 does not require a mother may I before engaging a threat to a 3rd person. Unqualified LEO.
    Ramos had already demonstrated that he was danger, because he fired at the people standing outside the funeral home across the street a few minutes after getting out of the wrecked truck.

IMO that was ample justification to shoot him on sight.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Curious if this is the same LEO who was earlier reported to have not taken a shot because of a question about his backstop.

My opinion remains unchanged. TPC 9 does not require a mother may I before engaging a threat to a 3rd person. Unqualified LEO.

Article mentions that yes, the reason he asked before taking the shot was because he was afraid he'd hit a child if he missed

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

I think this was an ask for forgiveness not permission moment.

Last edited:

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    ef16baf1b252df4c07d23e033c10d12f.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    ALERRT available here.
    Interesting. Answers some questions.

The officer did comment that he was concerned that if he missed his shot, the rounds could have penetrated the school and injured students. We also note that current State of Texas standards for patrol rifle qualifications do not require officers to fire their rifles from more than 100 yards away from the target. It is, therefore, possible that the officer had never fired his rifle at a target that was that far away. Ultimately, the decision to use deadly force always lies with the officer who will use the force. If the officer was not confident that he could both hit his target and of his backdrop if he missed, he should not have fired.

Also, there was only two windows in the room, at the ends. A sniper might not have had visibility of the shooter.

We received information from the investigating officer that the lock on room 111 had been reported as damaged multiple times; however, this has not been confirmed through work orders at this time.The shooter just opened the door.

ALERRT teaches that first responders’ main priority in an active shooter situation is to first
    Stop the Killing
    and then
    Stop the Dying
    (ALERRT & FBI, 2020, pp. 2-9, 2-15 to 2-16). Inherent in both stopping the killing and dying is the priority of life scale (ALERRT & FBI, 2020, pp. 2-6 & 2-34). At the top of this scale, the first priority is to preserve the lives of victims/potential victims. Second, is the safety of the officers, and last is the suspect. This ordering means that we expect officers to assume risk to save innocent lives. Responding to an active shooter is a dangerous task (Blair & Duron, 2022). There is a chance that officers will be shot, injured, or even killed while responding. This is something that every officer should be acutely aware of when they become a law enforcement officer.

The report details a number of tactics that could have been used and would likely have been successful, albeit at a possible cost to the LEO's well-being.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom