• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasboy90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    I'm fairly new to concealed carry. I'm looking for some advice on a good IWB holster. The problem is I am 6'0" 150lbs and as a result have had trouble finding holster that doesn't imprint. I currently carry a Glock 19 with an inexpensive appendix holster. Alamo Tactical | Minimalist | IWB Holster | Kydex | San Antonio
    It has proven to be a decent starter holster but after practicing my draw at the range, it has proven to be less functional than I would like (although about as functional as I would've expected for the price). I'm currently looking to replace this holster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Texas SOT

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    There's several options. Crossbreeds are popular for being very comfortable and easy to holster your weapon but depending on the holster, you have to buy new pants up to two sizes bigger in the waist. I know a guy who let me try one of his crossbreeds with a 1911 that I was able to fit with my standard pants so I'm gonna go back and check with my M&P.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'll second the recommendation for the Crossbread Supertuck. I carry an M&P45c in one almost daily (at about 4oclock) and I am amazed at how comfortable it is. As far a printing goes...I can't say my chosen combination is the best at avoiding that but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb either. I would guess that 95%+ of the population would have no idea even if they looked directly at it. The other 5% that might notice are probably carrying themselves...so I have totally stopped worrying about it.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I don't use a crossbread, but I use a similar one. I am only 5'4" 148lbs, so it is very easy for the handle of my G27 to print. Early on, I was really worried, but like Booyah said, most won't notice NEARLY as much as you think they will. There are tons of things people carry on their belts/waists, so unless it is just ridiculously obvious, don't worry about it too much.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If appendix carry is your chosen carry method, holster selection and placement is HUGE. Even just moving placement a difference of 1" can be all the difference in the world with how comfortable/concealable it is.

Trigger guard holsters like that suck as an appendix holster. A dedicated appendix holster typically has at least 1 to 2 characteristics designed specifically to rotate the grip of the gun into the body, and some also have something raised on the inside bottom of the holster to cant the gun back into the body. The end result being the gun sucked up against you as much as possible.

This is the most comprehensive thread I've found anywhere on appendix carry, what to look for, and different holster options out there: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Here's a new one I've been eyeing quite a bit. Seems to do the job very well, and has a number of options like those I mentioned above: JM Custom Kydex AIWB Holster

Cheapo holsters, hybrid holsters (like Crossbreed or the CompTac MTAC), and holsters not made specifically for appendix carry generally SUCK when being carried in that position. They either are way too wide (hybrid holsters, Raven style huge kydex pancakes, etc.), let the gun hang too far out, have a poor attachment device (lots of plastic clips easily slip off the belt when moving, twisting, etc.), etc.

The other downside with hybrid holsters for any carry position is they suck for actually drawing a gun from concealment. They can be pretty much the most comfortable holsters you'll ever wear, but in terms of actual performance drawing a gun from concealment, horrible. Leather sweat guard bends and folds around the slide, the sweat guard is usually too thick and easy to grab when drawing, locking the gun up in the holster. Also, if you cut the sweat guard down enough to where it no longer impedes the draw, it now will significantly impede re-holstering the gun, requiring two hands to re-holster which is always a potential safety issue.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I reccommend chacking out crossbreeds new appendix hybrid holster. Great reviews, comfortable, just not my style. Also I suggest the Black Mamba hybrid, or a Sidewinder from Concealment Solutions. Very comfortable, but for the side winder youll need to have a longer shirt, and/or one bigger size. I reccommend the size larger tshirt in a darker color. It helps hide the firearms.

texasboy90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    I am definitely leaning towards switching away from the AIWB because of the safety issue that comes with reholstering. The holster I have now is obviously made so that you have to remove it to reholster (for safety reasons). However, it's for that reason that I'd like to switch holsters so that it will be easier and safer for me to reholster. Again, this comes with the problem of concealment. So advice on other IWB holsters that work effectively for a skinny guy like myself would be appreciated.

Texasslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    houston
    6'1" 160lb iwb holster with beretta 92 compact or xds. jeans/shorts with button ss or t. I go everywhere

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

Texasslinger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    houston
    ybypepez.jpg

almost forgot. not worth much without pic. worn at 5 o'clock everyday

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2

Glocktastic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Euless
    Buy a good leather holster and never look back. You have to remember, if it's not comfortable you'll not want to wear it and will eventually stop carrying it all together.

SmithandWesson69

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Take a look at www.aliengearholsters.com . I am thinking about getting myself one, they have a lifetime warranty and the kydex can be traded in for free for life if you change carry guns and they start out about $30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

TX0303

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    CenTex
    I'm on the thin side as well and carry a G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. If you wear it back at 3:30 to 4:00 position it is far enough back so the end of the grip does not print. Of course you can't wear tight shirts. I like loose Ts or Polo shirts.
    I do find that if I am wearing jeans, I cannot tuck with this setup as the bulge is too noticeable on my skinny frame. If I have to tuck, I carry a Kahr CW9 single stack in a Crossbreed miniTuck.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom