Aiming is Useless!

Discussion in 'Video How-To's and Tutorials' started by majormadmax, Dec 14, 2016.

1. oldag

oldag Well-Known

Feb 19, 2015
    Depends on range. Close, no need to aim.

15 yards or more? Better do a little aiming.

Agree with him on a firm grip.

2. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Well my competition scores reflect that I am way ahead of all of you-clearly I'm not aiming. :)

The wife says its unnerving now that the only time I seem to relax is when I hear the sound of gunfire.

3. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Aiming is useless. Then he says it's not useless. Then he says aiming is less important than trigger control and follow through. But he doesn't explain trigger control very well. Ok, I got it. Thanks for your thoughts. How about simple straight forward instruction without a lot of tangents. Or roundabouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If everything was crystal clear in the first video, he couldn't make follow ups.

5. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    What he's saying is...aiming is useless until you learn trigger control. Its a valid point.

6. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I disagree.

"Useless" is a very definable word with a very narrow implication. "Improper trigger control reduces the effectiveness of aiming" would be a much more accurate (heh, punny) statement.

The title is basically click bait. And click bait is bad, m'kay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    He just says grip it tight. No mention of the 80/20 isometric pressure technique on the grip.

Aiming slow then increasingly speeding it up. Is muscle memory training. Bringing the sights up to eye level repeatedly. In the same pattern of motion. It's not for you. It's for the part of the brain that takes over during fight or flight.

Since there's sights on the sidearm. Of course you're going to look. During training...that is. It's completely different during tunnel vision. As long as your holding the sidearm at eye level. Using the muzzle as a third eyeball. Being able to see the hole on the target before it happens. You won't even remember seeing the sights.

His definition of jerking the trigger is convoluted. Fast controlled pulled? Lopsided yank? Or stress ball grab?

8. easy rider

easy rider TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    WAIT! So if you're having fun, you're not doing it right? Or is it, if you're doing it right, you shouldn't have fun? I'm confused.

Think I'll just have fun shooting.

9. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like a feminist discussing sex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    Him purposely jerking the pistol distracts from his message. If he actually measured the deviation of the POA to yardage. He'd find out that the math has already been established by plain old instinctive shooting.

Him teaching the vice of jerking the trigger.... Giving no explanation to what point it's jerked or position of the finger on the trigger when it's jerked. No explanation about his technique during trigger reset.

His finger may feel like it's violently moving the trigger rearward. His round count and practice dictates more to his trigger feel, then a person with less training.... the people he's teaching. He's well established the trigger 'Touch' for himself. Something that can't be taught. It has to come to the person through practice. And everybody's opinion differs when describing the 'Touch'...

It evidently works for him. I wouldn't know how to jerk a trigger. It'd be like trying to drink water with an upside down glass. Straight back overrides being sloppy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016