APOD Firearms

Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Texas!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Texas

A little, lol.
    Hurley's Gold

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The officer asked us to step out of the vehicle

My point though; this officer could have hung me out to dry and added a failure to conceal on top....but he chose to be cool about it because it was harmless and obvious that it was accidental. Another officer could have made my life hell.

NFW.

You were obeying the officers lawful orders to get out of the car. Even if not, there is no evidence it was intentional. It is common one might have to adjust a shirt when exiting a vehicle.

Seriously, this shit is not that hard.

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Most laws leave a fair amount of discretion to the officers and the court.

I had a recent encounter that could have landed my ass in jail and a loss of my chl, but the officer was really cool and understanding of our situation.

We took my girlfriends car down to the coast for the weekend; along the way we were stopped for expired plates (which turned into a stop for "fictitious plates" ) ... my girlfriend failed to inform me that one of our stops on the way was going to be at her folks house, where her new plates were, so we could put the proper plates on the car (technically her car shouldn't have been on the road)... Her mom sent her the new registration tag but forgot to send the plates...(fml)...

So I'm completely in the dark as to what is going on.. The officer asked us to step out of the vehicle, as im getting out, my shirt lifted and was stuck on my grip, the officer saw it, I didn't realize it (I'm flustered and pissed), but all he did was say "oops" and he fixes my shirt for me to cover the pistol. He then asked what I was carrying and if I liked it. I answered and we (my girlfriend) continued to explain the situation with the plates. He said, because of our story, and the fact that I'm a chl holder, he was just going to cite us for expired registration instead of impounding the car and throwing us in jail... Had I known any of this was going on, we would have taken my vehicle instead...

My point though; this officer could have hung me out to dry and added a failure to conceal on top....but he chose to be cool about it because it was harmless and obvious that it was accidental. Another officer could have made my life hell.

Glad that it all worked out for you, and I agree with the officer's use of discretion is this case. However, I really don't think that you had a "failure to conceal". It seems to be more of an "unintentional exposure", which is ok.

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    NFW.

You were obeying the officers lawful orders to get out of the car. Even if not, there is no evidence it was intentional. It is common one might have to adjust a shirt when exiting a vehicle.

I agree with this statement.

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    NFW.

But I might have to slightly disagree with this particular statement. To those with no experience or training in legal matters, the law and its discretionary enforcement can be quite confusing. It's like that in many fields. I'm in the medical field now, and when patients and familes ask me things that seem to have quite obvious answers, I remind myself that at one time I didn't know the answer to that question either.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Tex...

Glad that it all worked out for you, and I agree with the officer's use of discretion is this case. However, I really don't think that you had a "failure to conceal". It seems to be more of an "unintentional exposure", which is ok.

Considering he could have jailed us for fictitious plates, it is not unreasonable to think he could have added a chl violation on top, warranted or not, he could have made the charge and I would have had to defend it in court. Im just speculating as to what could have happened. If you have been paying attention to some of what is going on lately regarding police and gun owners, I'm not crazy for thinking I could have been hung out to dry, just because.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm simply trying to get you guys to think a little deeper and to not take the unqualified statement that "printing is not illegal" as an absolute truth. There are way too many different interpretations of "printing".

Would you be OK with "inadvertent" or "unintentional" printing is not illegal? Obviously your opinion won't change, but I don't think you've changed many of the opinions of others on here. I know you're a self-proclaimed expert, but that doesn't mean all others are wrong. And you're getting close to being labeled as a troll.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

That's what I been goin for dammit.

So what is the answer to his question. If I am printing at level II noticeability will I get in trouble.

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Considering he could have jailed us for fictitious plates, it is not unreasonable to think he could have added a chl violation on top, warranted or not, he could have made the charge and I would have had to defend it in court. Im just speculating as to what could have happened. If you have been paying attention to some of what is going on lately regarding police and gun owners, I'm not crazy for thinking I could have been hung out to dry, just because.

I can certainly understand and appreciate your fear of trumped-up charges. It does happen; I've seen it in arrest reports. I've also seen those charges declined by the DA's office on most occasions. Still, it's not fun to have to go through the process and to have an arrest record. Unfortunately in some cases, the statement "You may beat the rap, but not the ride" rings true.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Alright! SB 299 passed the house & senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Tex...

NFW.

Is there a particular reason you feel it is necessary to be snide in your response?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Is there a particular reason you feel it is necessary to be snide in your response?

Yes, we are on page 4 and this horse has been beaten to death. Anyone who has a CHL should know what "intentionally fails to conceal the handgun." means. This is grammer school English.

And yes, you are crazy "for thinking I could have been hung out to dry, just because."

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Cops are all out to get us. They just want to write tickets or make an arrest so they can give you a plea deal for probation. That's how the department gets their money so they can buy new cars.

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Would you be OK with "inadvertent" or "unintentional" printing is not illegal? Obviously your opinion won't change, but I don't think you've changed many of the opinions of others on here. I know you're a self-proclaimed expert, but that doesn't mean all others are wrong. And you're getting close to being labeled as a troll.

My opinions and methods of thinking are the result of several years in law enforcement, investigating crimes, establishing motives, making arrests, questioning victims/witnesses/suspects, consulting with the DA's office, giving depositions, testifying in court, and generally having a fairly good grasp on how the legal system works and what attorneys and judges look for in a case. I'm thinking deeper on this concealed carry issue because I believe that it's appropriate and warranted. I was hoping that some of my thought process would reach others and have them maybe re-examine what they thought to be absolute truths. I know that practically all CHL holders are good people and are not the ones that police officers need to be concerned with. I simply would hate to see someone get themselves arrested because they believed that "printing is not illegal" was a valid statement at all levels.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe

Cops are all out to get us. They just want to write tickets or make an arrest so they can give you a plea deal for probation. That's how the department gets their money so they can buy new cars.

No one is saying that. That is like saying all cops are straight laced and never make mistake. Each interaction is different. just because an officer makes an arrest, doesn't mean anything charges will stick, but if he feels he is justified in doing so, he can.

Yes, we are on page 4 and this horse has been beaten to death. Anyone who has a CHL should know what "intentionally fails to conceal the handgun." means. This is grammer school English.

And yes, you are crazy "for thinking I could have been hung out to dry, just because."

You and I have not had the same interaction with cops, have we?

I received a ticket for running a stop sign that I clearly stopped at. He questioned and searched me, stopping short of giving me a road side cavity search. I fought the ticket, his dash cam showed me stopping. All was good. Who is to say what his motivation was? We can all speculate.

This is just one instance of a cop going too far for no particular reason.

I'm not dumb, I'm well aware of intentionally failing to conceal a handgun means... But does the officer? And does he really care if it is intentional or not? You're entirely too trusting in your hired public servants.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Maybe you're pushing your opinions too hard. In all honesty, I get the feeling that since you have experiences that may have relevancy to the issue, you feel you are the only one with enough knowledge to make an informed statement, and all other opinions are incorrect if they don't see it your way. A great deal of my friends are officers and all are good people, in my opinion, but there are a couple that won't listen to a damn thing anyone says. I'm still wondering about how you would answer the question; Would you be OK with "inadvertent" or "unintentional" printing is not illegal?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No one is saying that. That is like saying all cops are straight laced and never make mistake. Each interaction is different. just because an officer makes an arrest, doesn't mean anything charges will stick, but if he feels he is justified in doing so, he can.

<I was just trolling>;)

BJG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Maybe you're pushing your opinions too hard. In all honesty, I get the feeling that since you have experiences that may have relevancy to the issue, you feel you are the only one with enough knowledge to make an informed statement, and all other opinions are incorrect if they don't see it your way. A great deal of my friends are officers and all are good people, in my opinion, but there are a couple that won't listen to a damn thing anyone says. I'm still wondering about how you would answer the question; Would you be OK with "inadvertent" or "unintentional" printing is not illegal?

Since each case of inadvertent or unintentional printing can be unique and open to interpretation, I would need you to provide me with a clear and specific example. Then, I would be able to provide my opinion and/or how I would react in that given situation.

I am certainly not the only person on this forum with relevant experience regarding legal matters. But you must agree that there are different degrees of experience. Just because I can successfully install a ceiling fan does not make me an electrician, or provide me with his overall knowledge, skill, and awareness of risks.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Alright! SB 299 passed the house &amp; senate. We are getting "imprinting" in Texas

Oh ya? Well, mission accomplished. You win today's coveted troll badge of dishonor! :p

Finally I get the recognition I deserve.

Top Bottom