Target Sports

Another School Shooting??? Are you f'ing kidding me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Parent's responsibility #1.

If the school faculty wasn't hamstrung by all the bullshit regulations of the last 2 decades, just maybe a teacher or principal would have wore this kids ass out in the past and we wouldn't be discussing this incident.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I think this shit wouldn't happen as much if they didn't blast it all over the news its all copy cat stuff

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I hated private school. Public school was a blast to me. That's were all parties and girls were. I probably would have turned into one of these freaks had I stayed in a private school.

It was great for me, I could actually learn something instead of being in a classroom full of morons that didnt know how to act or shut up when the teacher was trying to teach. Thats why I did what I did.

And as far as I have read....the latest reports are it was a 13 year old boy, who the other kids are reporting was being bullied. Welp, there ya go....whatever happened to just knocking the hell outta someone? I mean, I didnt win every fight I ever got into as a kid but I sure as heck didnt let someone push me around either. And I never ever thought to myself..."I wanna shoot this guy in the face." I mean really.......total decay of society, irresponsible parents, too much video games, and not enough belts to butts.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    It was great for me, I could actually learn something instead of being in a classroom full of morons that didnt know how to act or shut up when the teacher was trying to teach. Thats why I did what I did.

I wish I could have gone to private school. I graduated in the top ten in my class without studying at all and I know damn well it didn't prepare me for Texas A&M. My parents pulled my youngest two brothers out of public school in Borger and now they go to Ascension Academy in Amarillo. They're going to be much more prepared than anyone in public school will be and there sure as hell won't be any school shootings there.

-TXG-

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I know, when I was in high school I hated public school. My parents couldnt afford to send me to a private school, so I worked after school and paid my way through private school from 10th to 12th grade and graduated from a Christian Academy.

Now THAT'S impressive.

While we don't go to the particular church, we moved our family gym membership to a local church's large facility because they allow the public to join and because I'd rather support them than Lifetime Fitness, etc. $45/month for the whole family including shower facilities, etc. Also happens to be the land their church school is on, so it helps them defray costs.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I will say that I enjoyed it very much. Yea, there were days I was tired from working the previous night and doing homework when I got home. Yes, they were way more strict, but then again I was use to strict because my dad was military and he put me in the Young Marines when I was 8 and I stayed in the Young Marines until I turned 18. Maybe its all in the way people are raised, but I was willing to do what I had to do to get out of public school.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    +100

These people are losers and this is how they want to make their mark because they are weak and powerless and nearly always on mind altering precriptions.

I won't argue the prescription thing, many parents find it's easier to give a kid pills than to deal with a kids problems, usually environmental and something parental advise could solve.

I do want to talk about the "loser" side of the equation though. More directly, what made this kid a loser.

So you get a loser kid, probably gets picked on a lot. Not a bad kid for the most part, but doesn't fit in with the cool crowd for whatever reason. Kids push him around, call him names, single him out to be laughed at.

Now he has 2 choices.

He knows he will get in trouble if he fights so he takes the abuse and gets broke down inside. No help at home, no help from the teachers (teachers are pretty limited in what they could do anyways). So he keeps it to himself. Parents notice he's acting funny or acting out so they take him to the doctor and get a prescription, or they think he is just a bad kid, or they don't even notice.

Option 2: he stand up for himself. Cops are called because he was fighting in school, parents have to leave work/hair salon/golf course and are pissed. Doesn't matter the reason, fighting in school is bad M'kay. Kid learns his lesson about sticking up for himself. Doesn't make that mistake again, and things fall in line with the results of option one.

I can tell from experience that being outside the click and not wanting to do anything because you will get in trouble is a bad spot for a kid. I was never told I couldn't fight, but it was against the rules, they call the cops for that stuff, only makes sense my parents would be mad. One day I had enough, damned the consequences, I was sick of it. No school employees noticed the fight, by most accounts I lost (I was skin and bones, he wasn't), but his bloody lip was visible, my 3 day headache wasn't and I never showed that I was suffering. He didn't mess with me again.

They have out these kids in a box. The teachers can't stop bullying, they can try, but it will probably get worse. The kids can't stand up for themselves because they are more concerned with how mad their parents will be and the cops coming to the school.

Until parents take the time to let the kids know it's ok and that they don't have to take abuse from another kid for any reason these things will continue to happen. School yard fights are a normal part of growing up. Instead of taking away a kids ability to stand up for himself we should be showing our kids how to put their weight in to a punch.

Always comes back to parenting, I will make sure my kids know when it's ok to get physical. If it costs me a fine then so be it.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    I won't argue the prescription thing, many parents find it's easier to give a kid pills than to deal with a kids problems, usually environmental and something parental advise could solve.

I do want to talk about the "loser" side of the equation though. More directly, what made this kid a loser.

So you get a loser kid, probably gets picked on a lot. Not a bad kid for the most part, but doesn't fit in with the cool crowd for whatever reason. Kids push him around, call him names, single him out to be laughed at.

Now he has 2 choices.

He knows he will get in trouble if he fights so he takes the abuse and gets broke down inside. No help at home, no help from the teachers (teachers are pretty limited in what they could do anyways). So he keeps it to himself. Parents notice he's acting funny or acting out so they take him to the doctor and get a prescription, or they think he is just a bad kid, or they don't even notice.

Option 2: he stand up for himself. Cops are called because he was fighting in school, parents have to leave work/hair salon/golf course and are pissed. Doesn't matter the reason, fighting in school is bad M'kay. Kid learns his lesson about sticking up for himself. Doesn't make that mistake again, and things fall in line with the results of option one.

I can tell from experience that being outside the click and not wanting to do anything because you will get in trouble is a bad spot for a kid. I was never told I couldn't fight, but it was against the rules, they call the cops for that stuff, only makes sense my parents would be mad. One day I had enough, damned the consequences, I was sick of it. No school employees noticed the fight, by most accounts I lost (I was skin and bones, he wasn't), but his bloody lip was visible, my 3 day headache wasn't and I never showed that I was suffering. He didn't mess with me again.

They have out these kids in a box. The teachers can't stop bullying, they can try, but it will probably get worse. The kids can't stand up for themselves because they are more concerned with how mad their parents will be and the cops coming to the school.

Until parents take the time to let the kids know it's ok and that they don't have to take abuse from another kid for any reason these things will continue to happen. School yard fights are a normal part of growing up. Instead of taking away a kids ability to stand up for himself we should be showing our kids how to put their weight in to a punch.

Always comes back to parenting, I will make sure my kids know when it's ok to get physical. If it costs me a fine then so be it.

Instead we are raising a nation of wussies.....sorry but its true. Bully's have been around forever. Only difference between when I was in school and now is that we were told dont take it, punch em in the mouth. My dad told me up front I wasnt gonna win every fight, but I better not come home with my butt whipped and not have fought back. Period. Yes, there was one time I stood up for myself and they called my dad to come to the school, this was my 9th grade year.....he told the principal that he wasnt going to allow his kid to stand there and get punched and not punch back. He also told the principal if he had issue with that he could pull his ass across the desk and make him understand. The principal did not have much to say except that he was withdrawing my suspension.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes. Losers are created. Doesnt make them any less than the losers they are. The high school football star thats a jerk to everyone and cant read is a loser too.

Dads walking out on their kids is typically step one to the creation of said loser. Combine that with mom just wanting to do her own thing and you get our worthless pop culture and daddy government as the new parents of the kid. Im surprised this doesnt happen more but some losers suffer themselves open society in different ways.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I will bet the farm that psychotropic meds have something to do with this, mainly because of the kid's age. Not to discount what everyone is saying about society and family, but I think those drugs actually brain damage people, like they lose empathy and a piece of their humanity or something.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will bet the farm that psychotropic meds have something to do with this, mainly because of the kid's age. Not to discount what everyone is saying about society and family, but I think those drugs actually brain damage people, like they lose empathy and a piece of their humanity or something.

Big time. I dont know why this isnt discussed more.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Also doesn't help when you find out that the DSM-IV is the largest it's ever been with even more "diseases" requiring pharmacological remedies. Even something like "free thinking" is considered a disease now.

Is Free Thinking A Mental Illness? | Off The Grid News

Neither does "Want help? Go to Jail." That's how broken the system is.

As a paramedic, I've encountered patients who KNEW the ONLY way they could get help was to stop taking their meds and become systematic, and just hoped to be able to judge when to call before they actually DID something crazy.

Crazier? The largest mental health facility in Texas (award winning, mind you!) is the Harris County Jail, serving more mentally ill than ALL TEN texas State Hospitals combined (inpatient).

Gig'emBCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Bryan Texas
    No law I am aware of prevents her from carrying "mace" (pepper spray is better) in school, and as of Sept 1 she certainly can leave her handgun in her car on school property IF she has a CHL.

Not much help in the car, I get that.

Ya mace/pepper spray is a school policy. I must have missed the change in teachers being able to keep their conceal carry piece in their car at school Sept. 1st. I knew of the changes in chl courses and automatic knives.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Ya mace/pepper spray is a school policy. I must have missed the change in teachers being able to keep their conceal carry piece in their car at school Sept. 1st. I knew of the changes in chl courses and automatic knives.

I will post the law change for you so you can have it for reference;

Texas Legislature Online - 83(R) Text for SB 1907

AN ACT
    relating to the transportation and storage of firearms and
    ammunition by concealed handgun license holders in private vehicles
    on the campuses of certain institutions of higher education.
    BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
    SECTION 1. Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, is
    amended by adding Section 411.2032 to read as follows:
    Sec. 411.2032. TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE OF FIREARMS AND
    AMMUNITION BY LICENSE HOLDERS IN PRIVATE VEHICLES ON CERTAIN
    CAMPUSES. (a) For purposes of this section:
    (1) "Campus" means all land and buildings owned or
    leased by an institution of higher education or private or
    independent institution of higher education.
    (2) "Institution of higher education" and "private or
    independent institution of higher education" have the meanings
    assigned by Section 61.003, Education Code.
    (b) An institution of higher education or private or
    independent institution of higher education in this state may not
    adopt or enforce any rule, regulation, or other provision or take
    any other action, including posting notice under Section 30.06,
    Penal Code, prohibiting or placing restrictions on the storage or
    transportation of a firearm or ammunition in a locked, privately
    owned or leased motor vehicle by a person, including a student
    enrolled at that institution, who holds a license to carry a
    concealed handgun under this subchapter and lawfully possesses the
    firearm or ammunition:
    (1) on a street or driveway located on the campus of
    the institution; or
    (2) in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking
    area located on the campus of the institution.
    SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I know many students past and present who attended/attend public schools who are far from being morons. Not saying I'm one of them, but there are still plenty of excellent students who could be leading our future in public schools. I did well in public school and went on to join the military so I could pay for college. Some people just can't handle the distraction of others. To me it's a challenge and I enjoy it.

Top Bottom