Hurley's Gold

Another School Shooting??? Are you f'ing kidding me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Trey.... distraction is one thing...the classes being so out of control with no respect to the point the teachers throw their hands up and go sit at their desk and give up is a whole other level. Seriously this is what happened daily. So to simply say distraction is an understatement.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know many students past and present who attended/attend public schools who are far from being morons. Not saying I'm one of them, but there are still plenty of excellent students who could be leading our future in public schools. I did well in public school and went on to join the military so I could pay for college. Some people just can't handle the distraction of others. To me it's a challenge and I enjoy it.

If your school did well for you you wouldnt have had to "join the military to pay for college".

Thanks for your service. Use that GI Bill.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, cause its the schools responsibility? It's the schools fault if a kid fails a test, or the teachers? They have some responsibility to do their job, but that is only half the equation. Parents need to stop expecting the school to carry the load and do it their self.

Academic scholarships are not handed out to every student with good grades, only a top percentage. 100% of students can be in the top percentage.

Not saying public schools don't have problems, but those problems start at home.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If your school did well for you you wouldnt have had to "join the military to pay for college".

Untrue, anymore. Colleges figured out they could give partial scholarships to rich students to entice them to come to their school and pay for part of their tuition (vs. going somewhere else and them getting none of that student's money), and that for poor students, mere acceptance is often enough to keep them and then help them accrue student loan debt. The financials of college have changed DRASTICALLY - my daughter starts next year.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Untrue, anymore. Colleges figured out they could give partial scholarships to rich students to entice them to come to their school and pay for part of their tuition (vs. going somewhere else and them getting none of that student's money), and that for poor students, mere acceptance is often enough to keep them and then help them accrue student loan debt. The financials of college have changed DRASTICALLY - my daughter starts next year.

^This!

College is getting less and less affordable every year for the average student. Also, from the military aspect: people forget that the GI Bill isn't a bottomless money pit that someone can use for college forever, unless you reach retirement eligibility (and even then, there are limitations). Yes, the military helps a lot in paying for college, but every year more and more restrictions and limitations are being placed on it, so however long that will last is anyone's guess really (though obviously it will be around in some form for quite a while).

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014

That's pretty unfair to say. "Doing well" doesn't have to only mean that you get a full ride scholarship to your chosen college. Doing well can also mean you're within the upper percentile and have an above average IQ. That and even some of the smartest kids don't always get scholarships to colleges because you have to consider that some of the barely-able-to-read jocks have to get their scholarships too.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    First...joining the military "to pay for college" is a terrible reason to join. I hope there is some implied "love of country and willingness for selfless and sacrificial service in there".

Top colleges are starting to become unaffordable for all but the rich and poor. Too many middle class folks, including military members are taking on student loan debt to try and do what the culture tells them to do and thats "go to college". I hate when i hear schools say their goal is for 100% of their kids to go to college.

If a school really does well for a bright student, that student will get scholarships or at least be prepared to do well in college OR (and this is increasingly a better option), be able to start working when they leave high school.

This is where we need to stop relying on the gov system and make and find our own ways. Of course education should start at home and involved families matter way more than which school a kid goes to. Those "high performing" gov schools serve high performing families.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    First...joining the military "to pay for college" is a terrible reason to join. I hope there is some implied "love of country and willingness for selfless and sacrificial service in there".

No it's not. I'd say the majority of people who join do it initially for reasons other than "love of country, etc" In AIT the DS went around the room asking everybody why they joined and I don't remember one person stating your reasoning. Pretty much all monetary or lack of other options.

Top colleges are starting to become unaffordable for all but the rich and poor. Too many middle class folks, including military members are taking on student loan debt to try and do what the culture tells them to do and thats "go to college". I hate when i hear schools say their goal is for 100% of their kids to go to college.

College tuitions have been going up for at least the last decade. By getting 'more affordable" are you referring to the use of grants? Many of which are through the government. Not exactly getting off the gov dole. I also wouldn't say 100% college attendance is a bad goal. ESP considering many view technical schools as college and more and more companies are starting to hire out of tech schools Instead of OJT. Tech schools are much more affordable though.

If a school really does well for a bright student, that student will get scholarships or at least be prepared to do well in college OR (and this is increasingly a better option), be able to start working when they leave high school.

This is where we need to stop relying on the gov system and make and find our own ways. Of course education should start at home and involved families matter way more than which school a kid goes to. Those "high performing" gov schools serve high performing families.

Gotta get back to work, don't have time to reply to the second half.

It does seen to me that you blame gov schools for the failures of the families.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    IMO public schools are a disaster, add poor discipline in schools and home, broken families, no dad in home, media trash and you have a recipe for disaster. I would not send my dog to public school but I understand many cannot afford the alternative but do all possible you can it will make a difference in your kids lives.

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    I won't argue the prescription thing, many parents find it's easier to give a kid pills than to deal with a kids problems, usually environmental and something parental advise could solve.

I do want to talk about the "loser" side of the equation though. More directly, what made this kid a loser.

So you get a loser kid, probably gets picked on a lot. Not a bad kid for the most part, but doesn't fit in with the cool crowd for whatever reason. Kids push him around, call him names, single him out to be laughed at.

Now he has 2 choices.

He knows he will get in trouble if he fights so he takes the abuse and gets broke down inside. No help at home, no help from the teachers (teachers are pretty limited in what they could do anyways). So he keeps it to himself. Parents notice he's acting funny or acting out so they take him to the doctor and get a prescription, or they think he is just a bad kid, or they don't even notice.

Option 2: he stand up for himself. Cops are called because he was fighting in school, parents have to leave work/hair salon/golf course and are pissed. Doesn't matter the reason, fighting in school is bad M'kay. Kid learns his lesson about sticking up for himself. Doesn't make that mistake again, and things fall in line with the results of option one.

I can tell from experience that being outside the click and not wanting to do anything because you will get in trouble is a bad spot for a kid. I was never told I couldn't fight, but it was against the rules, they call the cops for that stuff, only makes sense my parents would be mad. One day I had enough, damned the consequences, I was sick of it. No school employees noticed the fight, by most accounts I lost (I was skin and bones, he wasn't), but his bloody lip was visible, my 3 day headache wasn't and I never showed that I was suffering. He didn't mess with me again.

They have out these kids in a box. The teachers can't stop bullying, they can try, but it will probably get worse. The kids can't stand up for themselves because they are more concerned with how mad their parents will be and the cops coming to the school.

Until parents take the time to let the kids know it's ok and that they don't have to take abuse from another kid for any reason these things will continue to happen. School yard fights are a normal part of growing up. Instead of taking away a kids ability to stand up for himself we should be showing our kids how to put their weight in to a punch.

Always comes back to parenting, I will make sure my kids know when it's ok to get physical. If it costs me a fine then so be it.

We had this kid in school that was picked on for years. Finaly one day he snapped and beat the living shit out of some bully for stuffing his jacket in a toilet. He got suspended for a few days and the bully got suspended for a week and iss for the rest of the semester. no one screwed with him anymore though. =p

On a side note, his dad is a cop and was telling him to throw down. Im glad he finaly stood up for himself.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    So, looks like this kid used a shotgun and robbed MSM of their favorite knee jerk phrase, along with providing an opportunity to put the onus where it arguably belongs, parenting. Don't expect to hear much about that, though.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    So, looks like this kid used a shotgun and robbed MSM of their favorite knee jerk phrase, along with providing an opportunity to put the onus where it arguably belongs, parenting. Don't expect to hear much about that, though.

WOW!! I was saying the same exact thing to my wife this morning.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I did not join the military for college money. I did it because i thought i should do it. I didnt want to do it in fact.

Regarding joining for college money...most of the guys i served with did not use the GI Bill education benefits and only a couple of us fully used it.

As far as gov school destroying the family? The fed gov has encouraged out of wedlock births and minimized the role of the father for sure but thats not from the schools.

Again...so many are just horrified at gov healthcare but are totally fine with gov education...why is that?

Regarding the OP...reports are he walked into the middle school gym and shot twice with a 20 gauge. Logistically, having a gym packed full of kids waiting for class is a nightmare and when you consider the security aspect its a really terrible idea as well but thats what schools keep doing. It really makes me upset and sad to see schools refusing to tighten their security. Many in the education world just cant bring themselves to deal with the reality of possible school violence and take the necessary steps to make the schools safer.

If this loser comes from a stable healthy 2 parent home and isnt on meds ill be shocked.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    First...joining the military "to pay for college" is a terrible reason to join. I hope there is some implied "love of country and willingness for selfless and sacrificial service in there"
    You don't know the first thing about the reason why I joined the military. Sure helping pay for college is one reason. You don't think I have respect for the country? Or am honored to be a part of a brotherhood? Who do you think you are getting off saying that.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I did not join the military for college money. I did it because i thought i should do it. I didnt want to do it in fact.

Regarding joining for college money...most of the guys i served with did not use the GI Bill education benefits and only a couple of us fully used it.

As far as gov school destroying the family? The fed gov has encouraged out of wedlock births and minimized the role of the father for sure but thats not from the schools.

Again...so many are just horrified at gov healthcare but are totally fine with gov education...why is that?

Regarding the OP...reports are he walked into the middle school gym and shot twice with a 20 gauge. Logistically, having a gym packed full of kids waiting for class is a nightmare and when you consider the security aspect its a really terrible idea as well but thats what schools keep doing. It really makes me upset and sad to see schools refusing to tighten their security. Many in the education world just cant bring themselves to deal with the reality of possible school violence and take the necessary steps to make the schools safer.

If this loser comes from a stable healthy 2 parent home and isnt on meds ill be shocked.
    You are clearly a hypocrite to your own words.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You don't know the first thing about the reason why I joined the military. Sure helping pay for college is one reason. You don't think I have respect for the country? Or am honored to be a part of a brotherhood? Who do you think you are getting off saying that.

Wow. You said you joined for college money. I went out of my way to say that i hope you did it for more altruistic reasons than just that.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Deleted: i was rude

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom