Gun Zone Deals

Anyone ever think about burying a rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Picture this: bury anything you want to, in a pipe, by drilling a deep hole with a stainless steel wire leader run up to near the surface and dropping the pipe down into the hole. Then scatter lots of metal pieces such as common nuts and washers all over the area and turn them into the dirt. Would it be REASONABLE to think that whatever you buried could be detected? Not possible, reasonable to detect. Anything is possible given enough time and resources.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Obviously the LEOs on this site are biased for gun ownership. I would really like to see a statistic saying most cops in TX would not take part in a confiscation. I dont buy it. I think the LEOs here are in the minority. Most would be too concerned with keeping their jobs. As soon as I acquire a permanent residence I will be burying the 19" sawn off nova and a shit ton of ammo. It cant hurt, I never shoot it and it is just taking up room in my safe.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Obviously the LEOs on this site are biased for gun ownership. I would really like to see a statistic saying most cops in TX would not take part in a confiscation. I dont buy it. I think the LEOs here are in the minority. Most would be too concerned with keeping their jobs. As soon as I acquire a permanent residence I will be burying the 19" sawn off nova and a shit ton of ammo. It cant hurt, I never shoot it and it is just taking up room in my safe.
    Where would one find such a ridiculous statistic? Believe what you wish...I believe I have a bit more grasp on the heartbeat of LE that you do my friend. Most cops in Texas would not participate. Maybe they wouldnt outright refuse...but cops are good at acting like they are working when they set their mind to it. This is tin-foil hat nonsense. Why you would bury a firearm at this point in time is beyond me.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Picture this: bury anything you want to, in a pipe, by drilling a deep hole with a stainless steel wire leader run up to near the surface and dropping the pipe down into the hole. Then scatter lots of metal pieces such as common nuts and washers all over the area and turn them into the dirt. Would it be REASONABLE to think that whatever you buried could be detected? Not possible, reasonable to detect. Anything is possible given enough time and resources.
    In that type of world if they didnt trust you they would just throw you in a camp. So I guess the answer is to find the FEMA camp location and bury your gun there so you can get to it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

Let me get that stat from the DPS website real quick....<hold your breath>...

Most LEOs wouldn't go along with it based on the ones I know. You could be right, but I doubt it. They have to live here too, and they know that once the citizens get their guns taken away the police are next (see England).

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    ... and they know that once the citizens get their guns taken away the police are next (see England).

Of course the police wont need the guns after the law abiding ex gun owners are disarmed. Criminals will have turned theres in as well
    Sarcasmmeter.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    you cant bury enough guns or ammo to make it worth the trouble.

in 20 years I dig up a gun (if i can find it) and my 200 rounds of ancient (probably ruined) ammo...

and then do what?
    Just curious about this response. Are you sure, please explain.

A rifle, shotgun and a handgun is not that many and would be an amble supply for an individual, or couple. Ammo properly stored can last decades, so that should not be an issue. If you are not trying to arm a horde, but protect you and your family its a easily doable thing.

I firmly believe that those that are armed will have a distinct advantage over those that are not.

medal guy, those are good ideas, be sure to use items common the land you are on.

There are brands of kitty litter that are silicon based, and are the same ingredients that are found in most desiccant packs, for only a few dollars a pound.

For those that do not own property in the country, and don't like the idea of using you backyard, think about other solutions (The ATF usually search that anyway, along with the ceiling and walls with metal detectors.). There are hundreds of country cemeteries out there that have little or no people living close by, are rarely visited, and a stranger would not be out of place, a stash just outside the fence line in the back would probably be secure. Also think about all the power easements (RR right of way, if easily and regularly checked on) that run through the area, these are unlikely to be developed in the future and are generally accessible. Don't primarily rely on your GPS as the only way to re-find your place, make sure you have secondary and tertiary ways to pinpoint your spot. Don't put all your supplies in one place, have a few locations in case of problem getting to one.

(Now I would never encourage any illegal acts, like trespassing or doing this without the landowners explicit permission, or not willingly turning all your guns into the police when they request you to do so in a peaceful manner, like LEOs would like. I am just suggesting this information for information's sake)

Also, the sport of http://www.geocaching.com/ is a way to get familiar with finding objects, field-craft, and finding good places to hide things. Plus it's a good family activity, and explains your presence in some unusual locations.

However there it the old cliche "When it's time to bury a gun, it is also the time to dig it up.", LOL

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    After much thought on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that I will never willingly hand over my firearms to a member of any government or law enforcement agency. I'll go down in a hail of gunfire first. I refuse to live in a place that strips me of my rights...

In my opinion, any such actions would simply mean I was at war. I'd like to think many others would join the revolution as well. If not, then I don't want to be here anyway.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Explain what specifically?
    Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

Why can't I bury enough guns and ammo, how many do you really need?

200 rounds of ancient (probably ruined) ammo
    Why is that. Unless you are sloppy in your preparation and methods why would the ammo go bad??? I shoot WWII surplus stuff all the time with no problems. Even with the most basic containers, the ammo will be good for decades.

I just don't understand where you are coming from with your premise that it would go bad, or someone can't plan ahead for their projected needs.

So that is specifically what I am asking of you.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    After much thought on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that I will never willingly hand over my firearms to a member of any government or law enforcement agency. I'll go down in a hail of gunfire first. I refuse to live in a place that strips me of my rights...

In my opinion, any such actions would simply mean I was at war. I'd like to think many others would join the revolution as well. If not, then I don't want to be here anyway.

I agree. They can have them when they pry them out of my cold dead fingers.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Where would one find such a ridiculous statistic? Believe what you wish...I believe I have a bit more grasp on the heartbeat of LE that you do my friend. Most cops in Texas would not participate. Maybe they wouldnt outright refuse...but cops are good at acting like they are working when they set their mind to it. This is tin-foil hat nonsense. Why you would bury a firearm at this point in time is beyond me.
    You said Acting..
    I have a few things buryied. Mostly just to keep some asshole from stealing my stuff. What cant be found, cant be stolen.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

Why can't I bury enough guns and ammo, how many do you really need? That depends on the situation.

Why is that. Unless you are sloppy in your preparation and methods why would the ammo go bad??? I shoot WWII surplus stuff all the time with no problems. Even with the most basic containers, the ammo will be good for decades. WW2 stuff that has been kept cool and dry will stilll work...it takes more than a basic container to stick bulk ammo in the ground and keep it good for decades. I had a buddy bury some when we were teenagers and we dug it up less than 2 years later and it was trashed. Granted he buried it in a "watertight" ammo can....which wasn't.
    Can you bury ammo and a gun, sure. It will take some planning and careful packing, but you are correct...technically it can be done. I would guess that the majority of those that bury guns and ammo will find both ruined by water if they came back for them decades later.
    Throwing a bunch of bolts and nuts around your place of burial fools no one who knows what they are looking for.

I just don't understand where you are coming from with your premise that it would go bad, or someone can't plan ahead for their projected needs. It goes bad becasue water is a powerful adversary and gets in places people cant imagine if given enough time. I never said you couldnt plan ahead. You absolutely can plan ahead and I hope more choose to do so. I said that burying guns is ill-advised and usually the plan of a tin-foil peddler. Much easier to hide them above ground. Tons of places that would never get searched.

So that is specifically what I am asking of you. Thats my opinion...you of course are welcome to disagree

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    What needs to buried right now are items which are currently not kosher (use your imagination) so they can be dug up when the S really HTF. Don't do it on your property. And no, I've never done this.

Burying an entire gun seems silly- you obviously can't get to it in an emergency. If you're burying it to hide it from confiscation- what's the point? You'll never be able to dig it up and use it without getting locked up- you essentially sent it to it's grave. Better to keep it at hand when the gun-grabbers come. Keep your gun and give them plenty of bullets instead.

Top Bottom