ARJ Defense ad

Anyone spray paint/rattle can their guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outrider

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2022
    Elmo, Texas
    Only if they are fubared to begin with. Have taken more than one bolt action from scarred to camo'ed using a sponge and Rustoleum camo paint. I did just bake on a dark burnt bronze color on a brushed stainless VG6 Gamma for my .22 mag and it turned out great.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    This was in pretty dismal cosmetic condition, so when I learned the blogger shoot I'd be attending in NH would have a zombie apocalypse charge; so, I painted it with spray paint. Neither color looked like it did on he can top. The pink was supposed to be bright red and the green a more zombie green than faded barf green. After the charge and a couple or few years of getting knocked around it looked like this. I tried to sell it with lots of lookers but no takers:

1666497276537.png

So, I decided to refinish it to make it look kind of, sort of, almost like the original. I sold it to one of the first folks who looked at it at a gun show and that person got an excellent price compared to the going prices for them at the time. This is what it looked like after refinishing.

1666497622894.png

1666497673195.png

I showed the buyer pics of how it looked after painting, before the refinish, and he at first did not believe it was the same gun.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    This was in pretty dismal cosmetic condition, so when I learned the blogger shoot I'd be attending in NH would have a zombie apocalypse charge; so, I painted it with spray paint. Neither color looked like it did on he can top. The pink was supposed to be bright red and the green a more zombie green than faded barf green. After the charge and a couple or few years of getting knocked around it looked like this. I tried to sell it with lots of lookers but no takers:

View attachment 351196

So, I decided to refinish it to make it look kind of, sort of, almost like the original. I sold it to one of the first folks who looked at it at a gun show and that person got an excellent price compared to the going prices for them at the time. This is what it looked like after refinishing.

View attachment 351197

View attachment 351198

I showed the buyer pics of how it looked after painting, before the refinish, and he at first did not believe it was the same gun.

I think you did a good restore job personally. Not surprised it sold.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Being raised / worked in the custom automotive and motorcycle industries, I've painted many firearm's and composite stocks with rattle can, air brush, and by hand with lacquer, enamel, epoxy paints, and alcohol inks.
    The trick to a good lasting paint job is the preparation that is done on the surface before actually painting.

A KRG Bravo chassis that I hand painted with alcohol inks, then finished with 3 coats of matte clear.
    iHoRWjj.jpg

Custom 6.8 SPC II painted with rattle can and automotive paints with an air brush.
    pgeZnM9.jpg

qEhVWaX.jpg

Custom 223 Wylde painted with automotive paints with a paint gun and air brush.
    F50tILG.jpg

yACWgzF.jpg

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    As I’m reading this thread, I have some Krylon flat khaki that’s been begging to get sprayed on an 870. Just waiting for some time off and some extra energy to knock it out.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    I personally don’t see the need. But I suspect there is the cool factor and some folks like to mess around. I suck st painting anyway. Some of the pics do look nice

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I never realized there were so many colors of "black". I will say when I was in the Navy we had a guy on the ship that was so black he looked green under florescent lights.

Colors: SOCOM, Vltor Black, Semigloss Black (HK), German Flecktarn Black, Gloss Black, Thailand Marine Black, Combat Black, French Army Black, Black Oxide, Slightly Darker Black, Matte Black, Rem 870 Black

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    20201003_185413.jpg

Savage 110 243..I took the stock off and did this camo job..I was looking for the original Bushlan style. I used a set of sponges to dab on the top coats then sealed with a low gloss sealer. Then I took #0000 steel wool to degloss and smooth it out. It has been very durable

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    Many, many firearms should never be considered for painting. Even though I have DuraCoated several guns, they have all been at a customer's request, or in such poor cosmetic shape that they needed sprucing up...I agree that milsurps should never be messed with...it's revisionist history and shouldn't be done. A good bluing on the metal and decent looking wood, whether walnut or other, beats a painted surface every time.
    However, I dislike black synthetic "tupperware" stocks and routinely DuraCoat them, and also fill the hollow buttstocks with an expanding foam insulation to get rid of that hollow sound they make when struck. Some folks love the look, and others...not so much. To each his own. That's why we are all engaged in this hobby...to enjoy the artistry and function of firearms, and to make them our own. Too many different characters with diverse tastes here for anyone to dictate to others what their guns should look like.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Being raised / worked in the custom automotive and motorcycle industries, I've painted many firearm's and composite stocks with rattle can, air brush, and by hand with lacquer, enamel, epoxy paints, and alcohol inks.
    The trick to a good lasting paint job is the preparation that is done on the surface before actually painting.

A KRG Bravo chassis that I hand painted with alcohol inks, then finished with 3 coats of matte clear.
    iHoRWjj.jpg

Custom 6.8 SPC II painted with rattle can and automotive paints with an air brush.
    pgeZnM9.jpg

qEhVWaX.jpg

Custom 223 Wylde painted with automotive paints with a paint gun and air brush.
    F50tILG.jpg

yACWgzF.jpg
    Damn. That’s some pro work!

Top Bottom