Anyone use a lever action rifle for Defense?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Sidewayz, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Sidewayz

Sidewayz Active Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I just watched a Shooting Gallery episode last night on my DVR and Michael Bane was talking about how well the lever action rifle works for home defense purposes.

Im considering it just to save $1k bucks or so compared to buying an AR. XS Sights also makes optic rails for some of the Marlins.

Just wondering what ya'll think about this.

2. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Just be sure you are able to load it with rounds light enough in powder and frangible enough bullets as not to overpenetrate your walls and injure a third party.

3. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I saw that one last week. He bought his for $100 and it's his HD gun. I was surprised.

I've got one I haven't shot in 20 years but I've got the hankerin to see how fast I can run 8 rounds through her without breaking my hand. :happy0001:

4. Furyataurus

Furyataurus Active Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    IMO, it all depends on what caliber you use. I'd opt for a 357, 44 mag or 45 colt for HD purposes, 30-30, 35 Rem, 444, 45-70 would be overkill for inside the home but not outside.

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Any projectile that can kill a person is going to be able to go through multiple walls, no exceptions. LIght soft points or hollow points are a good idea, though.

Any load I'm willing to trust my life to is powerful enough to make an exit wound

.444 and .45-70 might be overkill, I agree. But .30-30? That's not really much more powerful than 7.62x39, and I'd use my AK for HD without a second thought.

6. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    heck yea

If you can get hits with it use the darn thing. My father has an old Winchester trapper in 44mag and I would never hesitate to use it for home defense.

7. onac255

onac255 Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    .454 Casull in a 20" Carbine would be sweet.

8. Sidewayz

Sidewayz Active Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I think Bane said his was 44mag on the show. The 44mag/357mag/45 colt calibers would have better magazine capacity. Marlins website said 10 for the handgun calibers I think. And only 5 or 6 with the rifle stuff.

Im gonna look around for a good deal on one. Not sure about a $100, although that would be great!

What kind of optic would you put on that? Red dot?

9. jimmy-buffett

jimmy-buffett New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    If cost is the main issue, I don't know why you wouldn't use a shotgun. It's generally agreed upon as the best HD weapon anyway (the cocking sound is a great deterrent, minimizes overpenetration), and whatever you would spend a lever-action rifle, you could definitely get a pump shotgun for the same price.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Shotguns have the same amount of penetration problem as a common handgun round when you consider that 2 - 4 sheets of sheetrock separate living quarters in a house.

Just know your firing lanes and if you have no solution, opt for frangible.