Texas SOT

AR Lightweight Budget Build Challenge: See my results!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Was I successful in my light weight budget build?

• You did a-okay son, yes you did.

Votes: 8 61.5%
    • No, I would have done this different (explain what you would have done differently).

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Interesting and bold wager but consider something else: there is a lot of stolen valor going on and it’s unfortunate but common.

I’m always skeptical of anyone who plays the tactical course instructor former special ops card.

The last instructor I had was in Oregon and I really liked the guy. He was at the time an active deputy. Nothing more nothing less. He shared his opinions on tactics and reload method based on the job experience.

Again I’m always skeptical because it’s very common for former military too to be attached to another unit or branch and then claim they did that work.

Another guy I took a liking to is here in Texas. Met him before he retired from ice. Simple real life experience he can share just from his raids.

A lot of times…guys you should seek training from…are the guys who are just like anyone of us here just working normal government jobs.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I’ll say it again: the company you bought a slot from or the all the 2-day weekend carbine courses available across America. And no, I’m not going to take some random dude’s word on it, whether I know him or not.

You to run the list of names of every instructor employed by every company that runs a 2-day course against DMDC’s and NPRC’s files and bring the evidence. If 90% are SEAL or Special Forces, I’ll hand you five hundred US dollars face to face.

You’ve got 72 hours, the clock is running.

Oh okay, you were talking all the courses offered nationally, I was talking the courses I’ve taken.

Just a miscommunication, you can keep your money for now, Todd. :laughing:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Interesting and bold wager but consider something else: there is a lot of stolen valor going on and it’s unfortunate but common.

I’m always skeptical of anyone who plays the tactical course instructor former special ops card.

The last instructor I had was in Oregon and I really liked the guy. He was at the time an active deputy. Nothing more nothing less. He shared his opinions on tactics and reload method based on the job experience.

Again I’m always skeptical because it’s very common for former military too to be attached to another unit or branch and then claim they did that work.

Another guy I took a liking to is here in Texas. Met him before he retired from ice. Simple real life experience he can share just from his raids.

A lot of times…guys you should seek training from…are the guys who are just like anyone of us here just working normal government jobs.

Stolen valor guys don’t usually have successful recurring curriculums that have been around for over a decade.

They usually get called out and disappear fairly quickly.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Stolen valor guys don’t usually have successful recurring curriculums that have been around for over a decade.

I would hope so but it seems they keep popping up in news. As Todd pointed out or provided the tools to do so, it’s important to research an instructor that claims to be billy bad ass.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    1665348132239.jpeg

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I actually have a poly lower (AR15), but I've been too afraid to actually build it out. I only bought it as a novelty.
    That high price tag of 3,300 is about double or more of what I spent on the build. The 2 most costly parts were the hg and the stock (about $450 for both). While I could get lighter weight mag release, bolt release, take down/pivot pins, safety, castle nut, buffer retainer and save a little on the gb. Those items combined are $400 or more. I might change them out 1 day for the heck of it?

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Corey Jackson was pretty successful with his training company and YouTube channel, thanks to his own stolen valor bullshit. It also imploded on him when it came to light that not only was he *not* in actual combat, but actually went AWOL before even starting bootcamp.

Dave Canterbury is another who has made probably a couple million bucks (on paper at least, if it ain't all buried in his back yard in coffee tins in silver-coin form) thanks to his own stolen valor. He claimed to be a high speed guy - when he could've rigtheously just admitted he was an Army MP.

Good salesmen can convince people to buy anything, especially if its something the customer already wants. Corey Jackson was good at selling the notion of "high speed" run and gun training. His wife's short shorts and big tits popping out all over helped.

Canterbury is actually good at bushcrafting and wilderness survival, but he didn't have to make up shit about being a high speed ninja operator to sell it. He bounced back well enough and still does a good business with his wilderness training company, and selling branded survival gear to middle aged guys who live in the city and hardly ever actually venture into the woods.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Nothing crazy for me, I flew around on airplanes for a bunch of years. Most I ever carried a rifle was a 12km hike. There was the Crucible training event with lots of carrying a rifle through obstacles and such and Sgt’s course were we played in the field for a few days with our rifles. That was all with a 20” M16A2, used a M16A4 one the range once a year.

There are others here with real combat experience that carried A2’s and others that carried an A1 or M14, the latter has some real weight.

My next carbine course is only a six hour course and I’m probably taking my SOCOM 16.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Curious if you have the link to your last 2-day course review. I couldn’t find it, got distracted with the crayons. They taste horrible, but work great to color the pictures in the TMs.
    Last one was six hours also. That course?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Last one was six hours also. That course?

Thanks. Thought that was a weekend course for some reason. I know you had a good review of it.

Top Bottom