• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Big fan of both of the rifles. I have a Saiga in .223 and tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a not-made-anymore Yugo M90NP I won off of gunbroker. It is the RPK receivered rifle with a fixed magwell for accepting AR mags.

Just get both :usflag:

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    The lines are blurry now... AK variants are available pre-built in 5.45x39,223/5.56,7.62x39,7.62x51, 12Ga, 20Ga, .410bore, 7.62x54r, 7.92x57, 9x19mm, 7.62x25, and probably a few more I missed.

If you know what you are doing, you can build an AK in just about any caliber (.50BMG would be a real Frankenstien, tho)... but it's more like building when the AR design is more like assembling (unless you're really out there blazing a new cartridge)... ARs are available in many calibers, available in piston-driven actions like an AK, 300BLK was designed to mimic the close-quarters performance of the 7.62x39 round...

If you believe tha AK is innacurate, then you have only looked at Shitty AKs... they can be built to sub-moa accuracy if that's the goal (yes, it's been done and documented... now sit down and shut up)

There are rifle designs that borrow from both (M+M's M10x, for example... it also borrowed from the FAL)... there are even people that have converted a 5.56 AK to shoot 300BLK...
    https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30555
    talk about full circle...

If someone ONLY wants to compare "official" AKs to ARs, then stick to only official M16s and M4s... most of the versatility of the platform disappears. If you don't like the AK for emotional reasons, I'm sorry that bad shit happened to you... but I don't blame the weapon. I've built AKs from parts kits in my garage, and converted them from "sporting" import perversions... I still want to build a 2xTM in 9x23mm or 10mm using Psh41 drums... just haven't got around to it. Working on a Saiga 308 conversion now.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    A rifle to consider is the sig mcx hybrid. I love mine. So the hybrid uses a standard m400 ar15 receiver with an adapter to use mcx uppers. You can in a worst case scenario, change out to a regular extension tube. Plus the hybrids go for less money than the standard mcx.

20180528_171646.jpg

McCrapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2018
    Central Texas
    1 of each seems to be the only answer. The simplicity and reliability of the AK is why I prefer the platform, in 5.45 and 7.62 of course, as kalishnikov intended. Every red blooded american needs an AR in 5.56 for the availability of parts and ammo alone. I round out the big 4 fighting calibers with the SCAR 17. I run open sights or red dots on the AKs, fixed magnification of the AR, and variable magnification on the .308. As I think others have mentioned its all about what your application is.

If i chose just one it would be the AK, personal preference.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    The question of accuracy/inaccuracy continues to bubble up. The AK fanboyz like to claim how accurate it is or 'can be built to'...when you say that then you have changed the parameters in order to fit your narrative.

The M4 is a more accurate then the Ak, thats a fack Jack. Having said that lets just look at the design. The AK was never made to be that accurate of a weapon that was not the intention. It was a weapon designed to function without an issued cleaning kit, in the sand, mud and what ever else comes that way and used by people would not clean even if by some chance they found a cleaning kit.

In the US military accuracy plays a prominent role we clean our weapons to the extreme and its also built to a lot closer tolerances which requires a lot of cleaning and lube.

2 different weapons, 2 different user groups, 2 different design specs...

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    The question of accuracy/inaccuracy continues to bubble up. The AK fanboyz like to claim how accurate it is or 'can be built to'...when you say that then you have changed the parameters in order to fit your narrative.

The M4 is a more accurate then the Ak, thats a fack Jack. Having said that lets just look at the design. The AK was never made to be that accurate of a weapon that was not the intention. It was a weapon designed to function without an issued cleaning kit, in the sand, mud and what ever else comes that way and used by people would not clean even if by some chance they found a cleaning kit.

In the US military accuracy plays a prominent role we clean our weapons to the extreme and its also built to a lot closer tolerances which requires a lot of cleaning and lube.

2 different weapons, 2 different user groups, 2 different design specs...
    Which AK? (47 vs 74 can be a significant difference, other calibers even more so)
    Shooting what ammo? You can't compare using brass-cased 5.56 to crap steel cased tula/wolf.

What kind of testing did you do?

I hear this same jive pulled out of collective asses all the time.

Dont get me wrong, I really like ARs... but I also like facts, not myths and bovine scatology.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Which AK? (47 vs 74 can be a significant difference, other calibers even more so)
    Shooting what ammo? You can't compare using brass-cased 5.56 to crap steel cased tula/wolf.

What kind of testing did you do?

I hear this same jive pulled out of collective asses all the time.

Dont get me wrong, I really like ARs... but I also like facts, not myths and bovine scatology.
    The OP said:
    ar15 vs ak47

Have I at any time stated there was a legit comparison? Have I specified an ammo type or case metal or caliber, have I tried to make any camparo at all, instead I have stated repeatedly, they are different as apples and oranges. That is reality, deal with it!

Can you point to any "myths" I have promulgated?

Suggest you read the design specifications, they are on line, I have read and I understand them, I have written mil-spec design specs. I worked in a test bed environment doing instrumentation based testing on a myriad test subjects from GPS, munitions, software, hardware and a lot of classified at the TSBI level. I did not work in an ad hoc world.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    The OP said:
    ar15 vs ak47

Have I at any time stated there was a legit comparison? Have I specified an ammo type or case metal or caliber, have I tried to make any camparo at all, instead I have stated repeatedly, they are different as apples and oranges. That is reality, deal with it!

Can you point to any "myths" I have promulgated?

Suggest you read the design specifications, they are on line, I have read and I understand them, I have written mil-spec design specs. I worked in a test bed environment doing instrumentation based testing on a myriad test subjects from GPS, munitions, software, hardware and a lot of classified at the TSBI level. I did not work in an ad hoc world.

You've also admitted a bias in a previous post, so we can just leave it at that. I'm not trying to pick a fight- and those are impressive credentials on testing, but on testing AK47s against AR15s?

I do not work in an ad hoc world either- but my work is in networking, firearms are a hobby... and do performance testing on latency to the microsecond, writing design spec for financial trading networks. I've read many design specifications related to ARs and AKs, and I could go on and on about different AK47 designs (milled vs stamped, Russian vs Yugoslavian vs Chi-com, etc, etc)... there is no single "AK47". While some of the generalizations you assert are true (about the design specifications), the only myths promulgated are vague assertions about inaccuracy... you didn't quantify it, so you're "technically" not promulgating it specifically.

I'll certainly agree they're apples and oranges in their original designs, but you can buy a piston action AR15 in 7.62x39 that has as much in common with the original Ruski AK47 as it does with the original AR15 built by Eugene Stoner.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I shoot shouldered arms lefty.
    I'd much rather have an AR over an AK.
    That's just how they operate and fit me.

If I'm trying to take out a threat to myself or my beloved, I want an AR.
    That said, I sure wouldn't pass up any AK if my ass was on the line.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    I shoot shouldered arms lefty.
    I'd much rather have an AR over an AK.
    That's just how they operate and fit me.

If I'm trying to take out a threat to myself or my beloved, I want an AR.
    That said, I sure wouldn't pass up any AK if my ass was on the line.
    Well said, I also shoot lefty with rifles/shotguns- and I'm right handed...(left eye dominant) I find the AK design works well for me- just learned that my left hand stays on the pistol grip, and holds the rifle in my shoulder while my right hand does mag changes, safety & charging handle... I don't have to turn it over & around as much as a right-handed shooter, since I can see more from my perspective.

but in the interest of full disclosure- my go-to gun is an AR 10.5" pistol in 300BLK with a Sig brace.

I also love working on AKs... building that actually involves welding, bending, grinding, drilling, reaming, sanding, heat treating, etc.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    You've also admitted a bias in a previous post, so we can just leave it at that. I'm not trying to pick a fight- and those are impressive credentials on testing, but on testing AK47s against AR15s?

I do not work in an ad hoc world either- but my work is in networking, firearms are a hobby... and do performance testing on latency to the microsecond, writing design spec for financial trading networks. I've read many design specifications related to ARs and AKs, and I could go on and on about different AK47 designs (milled vs stamped, Russian vs Yugoslavian vs Chi-com, etc, etc)... there is no single "AK47". While some of the generalizations you assert are true (about the design specifications), the only myths promulgated are vague assertions about inaccuracy... you didn't quantify it, so you're "technically" not promulgating it specifically.

I'll certainly agree they're apples and oranges in their original designs, but you can buy a piston action AR15 in 7.62x39 that has as much in common with the original Ruski AK47 as it does with the original AR15 built by Eugene Stoner.
    I think your spinning...my bias was against those who were trying to kill me, read it again.

There is no testing needed if you accept the fact they are simply different for the reasons I have already stated. They both well for the intended employment. Accuracy is totally subjective. Depending upon what box you chose to play in sub MOA or get every shot in the space of a pie plate, one is a sniper going for mile long shots the other is an Infantry soldier just needing to stop a bad guy on the killing field and the AR and AK both a good track record.

I built the first TELCO grade data center capabler of US Treasury transactions not built by a TELCO. In fact one of the legs of the backbone actually ran thru my datacenter. If my lawyers would have let me I could have given 5 9's SLA. I consulted with such companies as AT&T, Lucent Bell Labs and others on design architecture of hardware, redundancy etc.

Top Bottom