• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are Kimbers good to go or solid pass?

• Kimbers are legit. I would buy from them no problem.

Votes: 31 54.4%
    • No, Kimbers are not good guns.

Votes: 20 35.1%
    • Glock Boyz unite!

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Do you, or others that talk about their QC have any real data showing what percentage of their pistols come back for repair? What about the same data from other manufacturers? Was that pistol yours?
    No, a customers. I used to keep detailed notes, but that was difficult and i couldn't observe and investigate every single malfunction to determine what was or wasn't user induced.

However, i do remember some trends from 5 years of taking notes, for handguns. Glocks led the list in user induced malfunctions (lubrication and limp wristing). 1911's in general led the list in actual malfunctions. Kimbers were close to 50% of that group. Rugers (of all types) were a distant second in actual malfunctions, and led the list for parts breakages.

Short of a gun blowing up, that kimber was the single worst gun ive ever seen. No i didn't own that gun.
    Capitol Armory ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was without a 1911 after my Springfield Armory 1911 kept choking on handloads. My smarty-pants brother in law and I went camping / shooting one weekend. We were shooting handloaded 45 out of the same box. His Glock 21 never spit the bit. That ugly chunk of plastic fired every round he put in it. My 1911 spit the bit every 3-4 round.

I sold my 1911 the next weekend and bought a Glock 21. After that I had zero 1911s for almost 15 years. I decided to roll the dice on a 9mm in 1911. Bought a Tisa and a Kimber, both from members on this board. Both shoot great, but the Kimber is really butter smooth, with little recoil. Its a full sized 1911, not the compact. I have had zero malfunctions with that gun.

I keep hearing that Kimber is not good anymore, all the while my Kimber 1911 in 9mm is spitting out empty cases with zero problems.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    “Word of mouth experience” is worth what you paid for it. Usually a bunch of people just repeating some version of what they’ve been told by other people repeating some version of what they’ve been told.
    Like all the people buying kimbers because their neighbor shot 30 whole flawless rounds through theirs? Because an NRA magazine wrote a glowing review, and had glossy ads every 3rd page?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I had a Kimber with a 4inch Barrel ten years ago. You have to follow the manuals break-in procedure and run it wet. After that it ran like a top.

Gave it to my BIL and he still uses it.

Kimbers bad rap is from there use of MIM parts but they aren't a problem now.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    No, a customers. I used to keep detailed notes, but that was difficult and i couldn't observe and investigate every single malfunction to determine what was or wasn't user induced.

However, i do remember some trends from 5 years of taking notes, for handguns. Glocks led the list in user induced malfunctions (lubrication and limp wristing). 1911's in general led the list in actual malfunctions. Kimbers were close to 50% of that group. Rugers (of all types) were a distant second in actual malfunctions, and led the list for parts breakages.

Short of a gun blowing up, that kimber was the single worst gun ive ever seen. No i didn't own that gun.
    And what percentage of overall sales does kimber make up? Here is a hint, kimber sells more guns than any other 1911 manufacturer. If a company sells 100k guns annually, and 5% are returned, and another company sells 10k guns annually, and 8% are returned, on its face, it would seem that the company selling 10k guns has better QC, but in reality, it would not be the case

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Like all the people buying kimbers because their neighbor shot 30 whole flawless rounds through theirs? Because an NRA magazine wrote a glowing review, and had glossy ads every 3rd page?
    is that somethjng you made up or can you show that makes up the majority of their sales?

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I picked up a used Ultra Carry II chambered in .45 ACP in a trade/+cash a few years ago.
    That pistol was the only Kimber I have ever owned, thus I cannot speak for the entire company and other firearms.

My opinions on the pistol are:
    - Yes, it was a good pistol. For the price, you get what you pay for and I had no issues with my reloads. I primarily shoot LRN powder-coated bullets under HS6 or Red Dot Powder. Recoil and report are manageable with standard loads.

- Was it the best one for me?... no. Although I would practice with it, I found that I preferred my SIG P238 for light summer carry and my Canik TP9SF Elite for jeans and everything else.

- According to the previous owner the trigger was fine-tuned but honestly, I didn't see much of a difference. It felt like any of my other 1911s.

- They really hold their value. At the time of the trade-in in 2017, I had it valued at around $500; ended up selling it this summer for $500 even after shooting it for 5 years including additional holster wear. No loss, & no gain; but I was able to put close to 2k cast bullets through the tube.

I recommend the brand. It worked for me.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    And what percentage of overall sales does kimber make up? Here is a hint, kimber sells more guns than any other manufacturer. If a company sells 100k guns annually, and 5% are returned, and another company sells 10k guns annually, and 8% are returned, on its face, it would seem that the company selling 10k guns has better QC, but in reality, it would not be the case

Yeah I'm going to need you to cite that for me, because there is no way on earth kimber is moving more guns than anyone else.

Because according to the ATF, s&w, sig, ruger, and glock all beat out kimber

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I was without a 1911 after my Springfield Armory 1911 kept choking on handloads. My smarty-pants brother in law and I went camping / shooting one weekend. We were shooting handloaded 45 out of the same box. His Glock 21 never spit the bit. That ugly chunk of plastic fired every round he put in it. My 1911 spit the bit every 3-4 round.

I sold my 1911 the next weekend and bought a Glock 21. After that I had zero 1911s for almost 15 years. I decided to roll the dice on a 9mm in 1911. Bought a Tisa and a Kimber, both from members on this board. Both shoot great, but the Kimber is really butter smooth, with little recoil. Its a full sized 1911, not the compact. I have had zero malfunctions with that gun.

I keep hearing that Kimber is not good anymore, all the while my Kimber 1911 in 9mm is spitting out empty cases with zero problems.

Yeah Glocks will always be part of my carry rotation. Throughout various range trips, pistol courses, etc, I probably have over 15,000 rounds through the various Glocks I've owned (.40s&w, .45 ACP, 9mm), I cannot remember ever getting a FTF/FTE with any of them. Of course I take care of my guns, but these "boxy plastic" guns are just impossible to jam IMO.

That being said, my 1911 was flawless this past weekend with hollow point defense ammo, and target ammo. The 1911 trigger.... damn it's good. Way better than your standard Glock trigger. I weight pulled mine, and it was 3lbs to 3.8lbs every single time. Might be too light for a carry gun, so we'll see.

I am warming up to the idea of carrying a 1911 compact, but going to take it slowly.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I have not noticed any problems with my Kimber but it is an older model. I still have it because I got it for $400. I keep it because it was cheap and for friends to compare with my other 1911s ranging from a frankengun - Remington Rand slide on an Essex frame - to a Les Baer.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Yeah I'm going to need you to cite that for me, because there is no way on earth kimber is moving more guns than anyone else.

Because according to the ATF, s&w, sig, ruger, and glock all beat out kimber
    You’re right. I edited the post because I realized after submitting it that it could sound misleading. but you replied first. I was specifically referring to 1911s.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Seeing a kimber, one single pistol Suffer from failures to extract and eject, a broken grip safety, and a bushing that was so poorly fit it fell out, I'll pass.

Kimber spends their QC money on glossy full page ads in American rifleman
    Exactly. Seen and read too many horror stories over the last 35 tears tochance spending good money on a Kimber 1911. Kimber mskes a very attractive pistol, but most people care about a reliable pistol, not a pretty one. A kimber is what you buy to impress other people, not to carry or God forbid actually shoot. You can spend way less and get a much better 1911 that actually works! Even the Turkish clones from Tisas are vastly superior to any Kimber 1911.

But the Kimber is tacti-cool!

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You’re right. I edited the post because I realized after submitting it that it could sound misleading. but you replied first. I was specifically referring to 1911s.
    The atf doesn't divide data beyond machine gun, SBR, SBS, Suppressor, DD, AOW, rifle, pistol, shotgun, or firearm, so you can't really support that argument either. Colt has been making 1911's since 1911, I'm sure they have a leg up on kimber

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Exactly. Seen and read too many horror stories over the last 35 tears tochance spending good money on a Kimber 1911. Kimber mskes a very attractive pistol, but most people care about a reliable pistol, not a pretty one. A kimber is what you buy to impress other people, not to carry or God forbid actually shoot. You can spend way less and get a much better 1911 that actually works! Even the Turkish clones from Tisas are vastly superior to any Kimber 1911.

But the Kimber is tacti-cool!
    The tisas guns are nice, ive been tempted a few times.

cwmoss

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    May 10, 2014
    Caldwell
    It has been 5 years or so since I had a Kimber TLS II in 45acp. Never had a problem with it. but sold it to get a 1911 without the firing pin safety. Fast forward to the present. I bought 2 Kimbers last week, both KHX Pro's, one in 9mm and the other in 45acp. The 45 has been 100% "issue" free and the 9mm has not, maybe one shot a mag doesn't want to lock up 100%, but a small nudge to the back of the slide and we are off again. I am a little disappointed that the 9 is having this problem. I have only run 100-125 rounds thru it so far, but it should have run 100% out of the box. Am I going to send it in to Kimber to have it looked at? I will, only if it doesn't clear up after I have shot it 500 rounds. The only Kimber or any 1911 I will buy, will be with the 70 series style firing pin system.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    The atf doesn't divide data beyond machine gun, SBR, SBS, Suppressor, DD, AOW, rifle, pistol, shotgun, or firearm, so you can't really support that argument either. Colt has been making 1911's since 1911, I'm sure they have a leg up on kimber
    they sort by caliber groups as well. 100 year old colts are not being sent back to colt today for warranty/QC issues.

i just think it’s always interesting how when people who have actually owned the guns are asked, the vast majority of people have had good experiences with the guns, but everyone who has never owned, or probably even shot one talks about how bad they are. If I went by what I read online, I’d probably never own a 1911 from any manufacturer since all the Glock guys tell me how all 1911s suck.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I had a Kimber with a 4inch Barrel ten years ago. You have to follow the manuals break-in procedure and run it wet. After that it ran like a top.

Gave it to my BIL and he still uses it.

Kimbers bad rap is from there use of MIM parts but they aren't a problem now.
    MIM parts are not the problem. Many auo manufacturers have been making many internal engin parts from MIM manfactured methods for decades, and they see way higher stress loads than firearms parts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom