• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Heard on the news this morning in Austin, some id10t was arrested for chasing down some kids that were playing "ding dong ditch" (their name) pointing an ar-15 at them and saying he was going to blow their heads off.... but the charge was for the AP in the mag, in his house, not in the rifle.... When did AP ammo become a crime in Texas?? And since when have they made .223 in AP?? MG
    Military Camp

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The news got it wrong.

Texas prohibits armor piercing ammo

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
    (7) armor-piercing ammunition;

Armor piercing ammo is defined in 46.01

(12) "Armor-piercing ammunition" means handgun ammunition that is designed primarily for the purpose of penetrating metal or body armor and to be used principally in pistols and revolvers

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    He was back at home when the police arrived and questioned him. He lied and said that he pointed his son's air rifle at the boys. When police asked to see the rifle, he fessed up that the rifle was actually a Panther Arms AR15. The rifle was unloaded when police examined it, but the officers looked at a magazine that was loaded with M855. The officer arrested him on the charge of possessing an illegal weapon. The guy also had a warrant for Theft by Check, so I’m not sure why he wasn’t arrested for that instead of the bogus charge for the supposed AP ammo. The AP ammo charge will get dropped, but he’ll likely face charges for pointing the rifle at the kids and of course the existing warrant.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He was back at home when the police arrived and questioned him. He lied and said that he pointed his son's air rifle at the boys. When police asked to see the rifle, he fessed up that the rifle was actually a Panther Arms AR15. The rifle was unloaded when police examined it, but the officers looked at a magazine that was loaded with M855. The officer arrested him on the charge of possessing an illegal weapon. The guy also had a warrant for Theft by Check, so I’m not sure why he wasn’t arrested for that instead of the bogus charge for the supposed AP ammo. The AP ammo charge will get dropped, but he’ll likely face charges for pointing the rifle at the kids and of course the existing warrant.

It is "possession of a prohibited weapon".

I'll bet you he was not charged with that, and the media got it wrong.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Remember folks, lame street media will have the kid that
    1 - filled squirt gun with nair
    2 - squirted the neighbor kid

arrested for assault, and for possession of a fully automatic machine gun with an excess of 10,000 rounds stock piled in the basement of the mobile home next to the swamp

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    how is the AR-15 prohibited...?
    it is not, nor is the ammo.

other than the warrant i don't see any illegalities here..

I read an article that said the dude pointed the gun at the kids too.

here are two additional charges;

1. Disorderly Conduct-Displaying a firearm in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm

2. deadly conduct- recklessly engaged in conduct that placed another in imminent danger of serious bodily injury (TPC 22.05)

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    It was designed with a steel core for better penetration, but I don't think it was designed as an armor piercing round. It can be shot from a pistol and the ATF did decide that the Chinese steel core rounds were AP… It could be considered so if a prosecutor felt like pursuing it, I'm sure.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It was designed with a steel core for better penetration, but I don't think it was designed as an armor piercing round. It can be shot from a pistol and the ATF did decide that the Chinese steel core rounds were AP… It could be considered so if a prosecutor felt like pursuing it, I'm sure.

It may be able to pierce armor, but unless it meets the statutory definition here in Texas it is not armor piercing ammo here.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    So what I'm hearing, is that AP ammo is still OK in Texas as long as it is NOT pistol ammo....right? Since when is a AR-15 a pistol? Sure this guy is an ass-hat, but what gives the LEOs the right to make up charges that donot exist just to make a news story? If it is assult then fine, it is assult, if he is a felon in possession of a firearm, then say so... just don't make up some bullshit charge that doesn't exist. It just makes them look like they are making a false arrest under false charges...MG

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So what I'm hearing, is that AP ammo is still OK in Texas as long as it is NOT pistol ammo....right? Since when is a AR-15 a pistol? Sure this guy is an ass-hat, but what gives the LEOs the right to make up charges that donot exist just to make a news story? If it is assult then fine, it is assult, if he is a felon in possession of a firearm, then say so... just don't make up some bullshit charge that doesn't exist. It just makes them look like they are making a false arrest under false charges...MG

The MEDIA gets things wrong all of the time. No one here knows what the guy was charged with.

It is also quite possible that an officer made a comment to the media about the armor piercing rounds before checking the code and that is PISTOL or handgun ammo.

Look at the second post in this thread for the actual law regarding armor piercing ammo. ;)

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What made me mad was on that todd and don show, don made a big deal that it was an "assault rifle".... Like it was a bad and evil weapon
    Its people like that idiot, that get reported on the news and messes it up for the honest people!
    Ive also heard people say ar-15 means assault rifle 15.. Doesnt ar-15 stand for Armalite model 15?

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Hey guys sorry yall had to read about me in the paper like that, atleast i have a computer here in the cell. But those kids just got me so fired up.

No im J/K but that guy is an idiot.

Top Bottom