ARJ Defense ad

attention people who do not understand free market.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Do not be a baby and PM a member whining about their listed price for a firearm and complain about gouging. You need to learn what the word means. Market value is what items sell for in the market. Currently the market value for some firearms is higher than it was last month. It either sells for the asking price or not.

Your failure to recognize changing market conditions and buy lower does not make a listed price gouging.

Sending a pm calling some an idiot and Jackass only makes you look silly.

Have a great day.
    Texas SOT

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Whaaa whaaaa i miss sumptin??? The price of white women go up? Damn.
    True that TI if you want it get it if not move around!!!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I completely understand free market.
    And today, sellers understand who the target market is ... the panic buyer.

But those of us who fall outside that target market and who have sustained this industry for the long term will remember those who took advantage of the panic.

For those taking advantage, enjoy the frenzy as it will not last.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    "Taking advantage"? You act like that's a bad thing. If someone buys stock in a company when it's low, then the market, FOR WHATEVER REASON, increases, should everyone just hold on to their stock so as not to "take advantage"?

Buy or not, but don't attack the person who will not sell at an absurdly low, given the market, price.

If you are mad about it, don't buy. Really simple. But complaining about market value shows ignorance.

I realize some folks won't like this. That makes interesting dialog. ;)

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    "Taking advantage"? You act like that's a bad thing. If someone buys stock in a company when it's low, then the market, FOR WHATEVER REASON, increases, should everyone just hold on to their stock so as not to "take advantage"?

Buy or not, but don't attack the person who will not sell at an absurdly low, given the market, price.

If you are mad about it, don't buy. Really simple. But complaining about market value shows ignorance.

I realize some folks won't like this. That makes interesting dialog. ;)
    +1 if someone buys a $800 gun for $3500 good on the seller for making a profit. Not sure about the buyer though...

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    It's gonna swing the other way sooner or later, all these $750 AR's that people bought for $3k+ will be clogging the for sale sections for years. The sellers will be irate that no one wants to buy their RARE UNFIRED Sandy Hook Special with EXTRAS.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm not mad and not pointing a finger at anyone.
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing, either.
    It's what makes America great.

The point is the target market today ISN'T the market for long-term viability.
    My dad always said "Dance with the one that brung ya."

Your analogy about the stock market is one way of looking at it.
    Another way might be like a water salesman in the midst of a drought.
    Supply and demand ...

I'm good. I have several ARs ... some I rarely use aand a couple that has never had a round down the pipe.
    And I have a few dozen mags and ammo round count in 5 figures.
    I've started to wade into this frenzy, but thought better of it.

I'm sure we'll both sleep just fine.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    In my never ending journey of prepping I have to judge risk of need to value.I like many of you know the need vs risk of not having an Ar.If I did not have certain things I would have to judge rather or not to buy at these high prices.Gun bans are not out of the question.I think a lot of people who are mad at prices may not have deemed having an AR a priority and maybe fear is making them mad at prices.Good luck to all of you without.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I'm not mad and not pointing a finger at anyone.
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing, either.
    It's what makes America great.

The point is the target market today ISN'T the market for long-term viability.
    My dad always said "Dance with the one that brung ya."

Your analogy about the stock market is one way of looking at it.
    Another way might be like a water salesman in the midst of a drought.
    Supply and demand ...

I'm good. I have several ARs ... some I rarely use aand a couple that has never had a round down the pipe.
    And I have a few dozen mags and ammo round count in 5 figures.
    I've started to wade into this frenzy, but thought better of it.

I'm sure we'll both sleep just fine.
    hey hey hbo( help a brutha out) i need some ammo

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I couldnt care less what individuals do, but the CTDs of the world - let's just say I'm not going to forget who jackex theif prices way up immediately and who sold what they had at the prices they had been selling at.

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    txinvestigator started this thread because of my PM. I was surprised that someone with 5k + posts would try to take advantage of TGT members and add another price gouging advertisement to this forum.

I understand free market economics, but I was hoping that price gouging would not infect this forum and stay contained on Texas Gun Trader and other like forums.

It was suprising that a supposed "core member" of this forum was just another individual raising gun prices during a scare. I thought more of investigator prior to his gun for sale advertisement and PM'd him about it.

I was being civil and his response was much less than that. Anyway, just another person that I will add to my list of jack@$$es.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Supply and demand drive prices in a free market. I don't think any of us mind when there is a surplus and prices go down... But the true colors of a man do come out when there is a sudden increase in demand for an item. Nothing wrong with making a profit as I see it, but jacking prices way beyond reasonable levels is well beyond the realm of being ethical.

There are plenty of people in this world who will step on your neck just to get to the next rung on the ladder.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    txinvestigator started this thread because of my PM. I was surprised that someone with 5k + posts would try to take advantage of TGT members and add another price gouging advertisement to this forum.

I understand free market economics, but I was hoping that price gouging would not infect this forum and stay contained on Texas Gun Trader and other like forums.

It was suprising that a supposed "core member" of this forum was just another individual raising gun prices during a scare. I thought more of investigator prior to his gun for sale advertisement and PM'd him about it.

I was being civil and his response was much less than that. Anyway, just another person that I will add to my list of jack@$$es.

Man, I hope you don't click the FS link in my signature, then...

The price TXI has in his FS thread is exactly what those rifles sell for every weekend at the gunshow. Sounds like market price to me. It'll either sell or it won't. If it won't, he'll have to lower the price. If it does, he must have picked the right price.

Doesn't really matter either way, does it?

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    The thing that really grinds my gears, and bugs me the most is this bidding bullshit. If you want to charge twice what you paid because some yahoo will pay for it, do whatever you want, but trying to get people to bid on your shit on TGT is inappropriate IMO. This isn't gun broker.

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood
    Man, I hope you don't click the FS link in my signature, then...

The price TXI has in his FS thread is exactly what those rifles sell for every weekend at the gunshow. Sounds like market price to me. It'll either sell or it won't. If it won't, he'll have to lower the price. If it does, he must have picked the right price.

Doesn't really matter either way, does it?

I was just hoping that TGT would remain "clean" during this storm. I truly think that this is the best gun forum on the Internet because the BS here is very minimal. I was really surprised when I saw these ridiculous prices from TGT core members. I have an AR for sale on other forums for current market prices, but I did not advertise it here because I would never "rip off" a TGT member. I guess I am old fashioned........

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I was just hoping that TGT would remain "clean" during this storm. I truly think that this is the best gun forum on the Internet because the BS here is very minimal. I was really surprised when I saw these ridiculous prices from TGT core members. I have an AR for sale on other forums for current market prices, but I did not advertise it here because I would never "rip off" a TGT member. I guess I am old fashioned........

I actually hope it won't sell here, and I don't expect it to.

On the flip side, this thing sat at the old (market) price for quite a while, and nobody gave it a serious run. But then the gun control talk starts and suddenly people are sniffing around for the old price.

So if they know the current market is $3000+ but offer to buy it at $1100, does that mean they're trying to rip me off? BTW, I know of a lot of cases where people are often successfully buying at the old price and then flipping stuff at the current price just because they can. Should TXI and I put these rifles up for the old price so that can happen?

There's a lot more depth to this issue, isn't there? ;)

Schue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    FT Hood

On the flip side, this thing sat at the old (market) price for quite a while, and nobody gave it a serious run. But then the gun control talk starts and suddenly people are sniffing around for the old price.

So if they know the current market is $3000+ but offer to buy it at $1100, does that mean they're trying to rip me off? BTW, I know of a lot of cases where people are often successfully buying at the old price and then flipping stuff at the current price just because they can. Should TXI and I put these rifles up for the old price so that can happen?

Yes there is much more depth. I have shot with several TGT members and I consider them my friends. I would never sell my AR for what I am currently asking to one of my friends. That is why I did not post the rifle for sale on this forum. I do know that you have been trying to sell your rifle for some time, but personally I would not jack up the price on this forum. I must just see things differently.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

I think the point is on both sides ... a seller jacking the price to an UNREAL market value or selling at REAL fair market value to trusted members here or a circle of friends.

I have sold to a couple long-time friends over the last couple weeks at prices I paid 6 months ago and did so because in casual conversation they told me they couldn't find any. I sold a CMMG lower and PSA upper "frankengun", PMags and 500 rounds of 556 to a buddy for $750 who had promised his son an AR for Christmas after returning from Iraq. Otherwise, he was looking at $3K.

I'm stopping now because this is going to get ugly.
    There are clearly two POVs here. I respect those that want to cash in while they can and I would hope those that do, would respect my POV.

Last edited:

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Schue - I have a question for you. If you had a rifle that other people were selling for $2500, would you say "Hey fellas, I want to be a nice guy and sell it to you for half the going price."?
    Or if you bought something 25 years ago, would you only sell it at the price you bought it for? If you sold it at current market price, would that then make you a gouger?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom