• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    This sounds like a reaonable idea. What type of "training" are you thinking of?? Squad tatics? One on one stuff? Or just getting used to working together as a group? I have a pistol range on-site, that will handle about 5 shooters at a time. 40 yds right now with plans to move it out to at least 50yds. Some steel plate targets, some target frames for paper. I live between Elgin and Bastrop, so not too far from Austin. I would like to meet at a local range first to get a "feel" for the group before bringing a bunch of people to the house that I don't know...yet! I also have tools to build steel plate targets if needed. Plasma cutter, wire welder and some stock steel. I guess the first thing we need to do is plan a time and place to make that first meeting. The Lone Star Range worked out well for me last time. Weekends are usually good for me. MG

I don't blame you for wanting to meet everyone before having them show up at your place....

Your just right up the road from me. Where is the Lone Star Range? I have been itching to go to the range, but travel so much and have been so busy I have not been able to get out and shoot more than 50 rounds through my new Kimber. I know of a place I can go out in Rosanky where I took my CHL class, but even that close and I have a hard time getting there...

As far as the type of training, I'm mainly interested in getting more practice to get good with my guns first off (perfecting the basic skills since its been so long since I have shot regularly), improving technique for drawing down properly, and would like to get some practice on personal defense skills ( how to use a weapon in close quarters, etc.) and it would be fun to get into match shooting or the sort eventually...

I think the whole group concept is a good idea. I think if we do this, we should do it like any club and have club positions or at the very least a safety officer....safety is first and we need to have someone who is ensuring we are doing things proper, No Exceptions, to keep everyone safe, but we can discuss all of this at the first get together.

Lets get a place and time set up so I can see if I can make it...if Lone Star is close by, lets do it...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    As far as steel targets go, just remember the whole ricochet thing can become an issue depending on the distance used and ammo. For close range stuff you'd pretty much have to use frangible ammo.
    Some one (posts here from time to time) told me about reactive targets made from ply wood and tire tread, that sounds like it would be a little safer than steel.
    And IMO it would be a good idea to meet at a RANGE first that way we can see any unsafe gun handling right off the bat. It sounds like the place between Elgin and Bastrop would be perfect I could not afford driving out there every week but once a month or so wouldn't hurt.

sig556

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Austin
    Sounds like we could get a range day set up for everyone to meet. Not sure about everyone on here, but I do not know many shooters in Austin and would really enjoy getting out and meeting fellow enthusiast.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    If someone has an are for us to play paintball that is a good way to practice training and tactics, at least that is what a few of us up here do.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Kerryp- LSGR = [URL="http://www.ctxpta.com"][url]http://www.ctxpta.com[/URL][/URL] I took a class out there. Nice range good people. I have no complaints at all about the staff or the range it's self.

Funny, I was going to mention a range in Lockhart I had heard about, just didn't know it was Lonestar...I have been wanting to check the place out. Do you have to be a member or fill out an application, or do they take walk-ins?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    There is a one time $5 registration fee for processing paper work and $12 a day for daily customers. I think it is a walk in and his yearly pass is $65. call Matt if you have any questions he gives his phone every were on the web site. Just don't do anything unsafe or intentionally destructive (like shooting bird or buck shot at his target stands) and him and his staff are great to deal with. If people start doing unsafe or stupid things they get it handled pretty quick in a "professional" manner.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, Lone Star is a great range. Inexpensive and they don't hassle you.

The main purpose I was sort of envisioning, M. Sage, was sort of like what you mentioned about some of us taking classes than passing on tips and tricks to others. Nothing beats hands on instruction by a professional, but it's better than nothing. Basically what I mean is a group that can be sort of a melting pot. We don't necessarily need a "leader" or someone in our group to teach us everything. However everyone providing input, teaching little tips and tricks they've learned from their own experience or training classes would be great. I know many of us would like to take lots of pistol/carbine training classes (or maybe even other types of training classes), but I know it can be pretty cost prohibitive too. Some classes are $350-800 for the class fee, then you have to factor the cost of anywhere from 800-2000+ rounds of ammo which can sometimes double the cost of the class if taking a carbine course. I've been looking around and have actually found a few instructors that are pretty inexpensive, but seem to be pretty decent. I was considering as well that, if we can get a decent sized group going and regular participation in this little group, that we could maybe even host a class. Here's one instructor to give you an example:

Class Descriptions

$60/hr 4hr minimum for us to host a class. If we get four of us together, that's only $60 per person, ten of us makes only $24 a person! Not to mention that school seems to have lower round count classes, usually ~300rds according to their website. Anyways, that was just one example. I'm still looking for other cost effective schools/trainers as well. If you know any, let me know. Most likely, I will try to attend some classes myself first with this school and hopefully some others and try to get a feel for who would be worth hosting.

As far as team stuff goes, that's great too. The more teamwork the better IMO. I think first, the individual really has to get their own stuff down as far as the fundamentals go, otherwise teamwork will be that much less effective. The most cost effective tool we could use for some of this stuff is going to be airsoft. We could run force on force drills, incorporate some team movement, etc etc pretty effectively with airsoft to keep costs down. That would also help with any physical restraints we might have in whatever location(s) we end up using in the future.

So I guess the first order of business will be getting together a range day for everyone to meet up, hang out, and get to know each other. Judging by what I've heard so far, it sounds like Lone Star in Lockhart would be the range to do it at. Do I have any objections, or does anyone else have reccomendations? If not, then Lone Star it is. Also, we need to get a day worked out that everyone can make it to. I can tell you off hand that neither I or Alan are available on Saturdays or Sundays at the moment unfortunately. Monday through Thursday would probably work better for both of us, though I'm usually available on Fridays myself. Everyone post up what your availability would be and we'll figure out what the best day/time would be.

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think it would be better to meet the first time somewhere other than a range.

It looks like a lot of us are pretty busy and probably have conflicting schedules. For someone in Austin, going out to LSGR is about an 45 minutes to an hour each way, which may be too much.

What about meeting in Austin, maybe at a restaurant, some evening?

Personally, I'm interested in getting better at handling typical defensive scenarios. That's hand/knife/handgun, force-on-force, roleplaying type stuff. I'd prefer more non-range oriented things. At the range, you are basically limited to shooting. That's great practice, but not so great training.

I think I can meet any weekday evening for the next couple weeks, but weekends will be harder.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I think it would be better to meet the first time somewhere other than a range.

It looks like a lot of us are pretty busy and probably have conflicting schedules. For someone in Austin, going out to LSGR is about an 45 minutes to an hour each way, which may be too much.

What about meeting in Austin, maybe at a restaurant, some evening?

Personally, I'm interested in getting better at handling typical defensive scenarios. That's hand/knife/handgun, force-on-force, roleplaying type stuff. I'd prefer more non-range oriented things. At the range, you are basically limited to shooting. That's great practice, but not so great training.

I think I can meet any weekday evening for the next couple weeks, but weekends will be harder.

You are actually allowed to train at LSGR, with your handgun. You can set up shoot/don't shoot, you can draw and shoot on the move at multiple distances.

I do believe the idea was to get actual firearms training.

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You are actually allowed to train at LSGR, with your handgun. You can set up shoot/don't shoot, you can draw and shoot on the move at multiple distances.

My point was that for the first time meeting, somewhere other than a range might be better. It's just not the best place for a discussion, unless we used the classroom, and I thought it tended to by in use all weekend. And weeknights may be difficult with the distance from Lockhart.

I don't want it to sound like I've got something against LSGR. I love the range and it's where I and my girlfriend go to shoot. (And we've met. I'm the guy with .500 Magnums.)

I do believe the idea was to get actual firearms training.

That's fine, but why limit ourselves to only that? The firearms stuff is fun, but there's other material that would be good too.

A couple months ago I took KR Training's Force-on-Force class and last month I went to a seminar by Southnarc and both demonstrated to me weaknesses of mine that no amount of shooting will help.

If the purpose of this group is to be better shooters, do better in an IDPA/IPSC/carbine match, then doing only firearms training makes sense. On the other hand, if the purpose is to improve our odds of winning a defensive situation, then other training (off the range) should be incorporated.

And I'm not saying it has to be one or the other. I'm just expressing my interests.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    My point was that for the first time meeting, somewhere other than a range might be better. It's just not the best place for a discussion, unless we used the classroom, and I thought it tended to by in use all weekend. And weeknights may be difficult with the distance from Lockhart.

I don't want it to sound like I've got something against LSGR. I love the range and it's where I and my girlfriend go to shoot. (And we've met. I'm the guy with .500 Magnums.)

That's fine, but why limit ourselves to only that? The firearms stuff is fun, but there's other material that would be good too.

A couple months ago I took KR Training's Force-on-Force class and last month I went to a seminar by Southnarc and both demonstrated to me weaknesses of mine that no amount of shooting will help.

If the purpose of this group is to be better shooters, do better in an IDPA/IPSC/carbine match, then doing only firearms training makes sense. On the other hand, if the purpose is to improve our odds of winning a defensive situation, then other training (off the range) should be incorporated.

And I'm not saying it has to be one or the other. I'm just expressing my interests.

All true{ and thank you for offering me the chance to hurt my hand last time I saw you, I would have loved to take you up on it but I was in the middle of teaching a class}

I am also a pepper spray instructor, and I believe we can rent Matt's classroom for 45 or 50 an hour, divided between 10 -15 people it could be affordable and cover other defensive tactics as well as finishing up on the range

jay524288

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Austin, TX
    All true{ and thank you for offering me the chance to hurt my hand last time I saw you, I would have loved to take you up on it but I was in the middle of teaching a class}

Anytime. Those 700 gr bullets really kick!

Hopefully I'll have time to go out there this weekend and try breaking my wrist.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hmm, I'm a M-F worker bee. Getting up to Austin to train and come home after 10 hours of fixing cars? Ain't gonna happen... :(

If someone has an are for us to play paintball that is a good way to practice training and tactics, at least that is what a few of us up here do.

Paintball is a lousy teacher of firearm tactics. I used to have fun stomping the guts out of ex-military, cops (including SWAT), etc. on the field. Gun tactics are a bit slower, and far less daring.

Dodging paint that's been shot at you is very easy. Dodging lead that's thrown your way, not so much.

I just found them to be a lousy simulation (but a hell of a fun sport)... Airsoft might be a bit better.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I'm M-F and travel a lot during the week, but I will try and make whatever y'all set up.

If we try to meet everyones schedule it will never happen, so best bet is to set a date and place and whoever can make it will,,,,when you have this many people, it will be hard to get everyone on the same schedule,,

Once we get further into this and figure out how many times a month we will meet, we can better schedule to meet more needs, example: If we decide to meet twice a month, maybe once during the week and once on a weekend or something...

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I'm a member at Lone Star... Only weekends or nights for me. The boss still wants me to work if I expect to get a paycheck. But i can work in a evening meeting/ dinner somewhere after work. MG

Top Bottom