• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I posted this in the rifle forum, but I might get more of a response here.

I was looking at them about a year ago as a possible place to join, but at the time I lived close enough to Best in the West that it didn't make sense. Now I live in Hyde Park and ARC is super close to me, about 20 minutes. Relatively it is also affordable and my girlfriend who lives with me can join for $10 on my membership so it seems like a good idea. I haven't personally met anyone who is a member. I keep hearing from people, "Oh so-an-so I know is a member", but thats as close as I get.

Basically I guess I want to know what kind of people are there and what kind of atmosphere it has. I am more of a milsurp collector then a shooter. I would guess that I am a casual shooter. I get out at least once a month, sometimes once a week. It would be financially worth it for me on that front. I don't mind the fact that you have to participate in stuff, I like the "club" aspect of the whole thing. But at the same time that is why I'm curious about what sort of attitude they cultivate. I don't want to hang out with people I don't have anything to say to just because I want to shoot. The only specific question I have is do they have any ammo or caliber restrictions? I can't really find that info there on their website. I'll probably end up emailing them some questions, but I was also curious what any current or past members might have to say.

Thank you very much.
    Lynx Defense

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Mike if you are into shooting pistols, there is an IDPA match at ARC this weekend. I think you can just come out and watch too, would be a good way to meet a few of the members anyways.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Mike -

Joining up now days, there are some requirements to get out and help the club by doing some volunteering, but the shooting isn't necessarily that way.
    Depending on what you shoot, you may find that you can have your own bay most of the time. I practice more action pistol type stuff in the IDPA bays and when I go during the week, I can usually wind up having one bay to myself.

As far as the people there, I can't say I have met any that I don't like. A lot of older fellas (OFWGs), but there are all kinds.

If you would like me to bring you as a guest sometime, shoot me a PM. With deer season opening for archery this Sat, it'll prob be a little harder to find range time, but we'll make it work.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I just want to second what Mic has to say. I also generally shoot weekdays and it becomes a private bay. However, you still must follow the rules. But unlike many other ranges, rapid fire and draw and shoot is allowed as long as each shot is an aimed shot. As close as you are, go for it. PM me any specific questions.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thanks so much for the responses. I will PM you guys later. I have to go to dinner with family friends in a little bit.

@breakingcontact Unfortunately I won't be able to go see this weekend. I do shoot pistols, but I mostly shoot rifles. Since I have more of those.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Mike, just shot out at ARC. Members were pretty friendly. Im thinking about joining soon.

Same here. Pretty hard to beat 100 bucks a year for a place only 20 minutes away to test my handloads. Not the best range ever but by no means terrible. Just wish we could use the bays more as tactical bays to practice idpa stuff but I think I can live with it. Definitely alot of friendly people but still very safety conscious.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Just sent my request for a Prospect Safety Evaluation. If anyone on here is one of the folks I emailed, I'd be happy to discuss via PM. I'm much closer to ARC than BotW and looking forward to getting back into regular shooting.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    New member on this forum, but this thread caught my eye as I am a member of ARC also. I second what DaveTex said, it is a slow process to join but worth it. I like it that it is a private club and not open to the public. It is generally much safer than the public clubs I have gone to around here.
    If you can go on weekdays it is a lot like having your own private range.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Completed my orientation course yesterday. Happened to luck out and get the entire process done in a weekend. I really appreciated their approach: "here's how we run our range, if you agree with these things then join, otherwise there are other ranges that run differently" and "don't be stupid, be responsible." Now I'm simply waiting for the next board meeting where they'll approve new members and I'll get my credentials in the mail.

It's definitely different from a "pay to shoot" range in the sense that you may need to bring your own target stands, etc. depending on what/where you're shooting. Again, I'm okay with that.

Looking forward to shooting there soon... I've got two new rifles to sight in.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Completed my orientation course yesterday. Happened to luck out and get the entire process done in a weekend. I really appreciated their approach: "here's how we run our range, if you agree with these things then join, otherwise there are other ranges that run differently" and "don't be stupid, be responsible." Now I'm simply waiting for the next board meeting where they'll approve new members and I'll get my credentials in the mail.

It's definitely different from a "pay to shoot" range in the sense that you may need to bring your own target stands, etc. depending on what/where you're shooting. Again, I'm okay with that.

Looking forward to shooting there soon... I've got two new rifles to sight in.
    Congratulations on going thru the process. Maybe we will meet there someday. We have some that don't follow the rules but are doing our best to weed them out.

larlev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    I just had my safety eval today. Couldn't have met a nicer guy that answered all my questions and explained all rules very well.

IMO....bringing family to ARC is far safer than public ranges. I'm happy with the rules....there for a reason

Top Bottom