• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Headed out for a few hours this morning. Need to run the rifle out to 100/200 and start tightening her down. If you're out before 1130, look for me. Big guy, yellow fleece, black bolt action rifle. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Austin, TX
    After sending an email to the 1st evaluator on their list and hearing nothing, I sent an email to the ARC info email to help with my attempt to join.

That was 09/2011.... Still have not received a reply. Sure seems like a long time to have to wait....

Needless to say, I gave up....

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    After sending an email to the 1st evaluator on their list and hearing nothing, I sent an email to the ARC info email to help with my attempt to join.

That was 09/2011.... Still have not received a reply. Sure seems like a long time to have to wait....

Needless to say, I gave up....

Email all of them. I did and it worked fine.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    Can anyone provide a list of their rules, or a link to them? I can't find any on their site. I'm interested in joining, I've been to a couple IDPA and pistol/carbine matches out there and I like the facility. It would be nice if I could join and have a place to practice that type of shooting without having to drive to my buddy's ranch in Lometa. Sorry, but standing at a bench punching holes in paper gets boring quickly and isn't very good real world training (in my respectful opinion).

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Can anyone provide a list of their rules, or a link to them? I can't find any on their site. I'm interested in joining, I've been to a couple IDPA and pistol/carbine matches out there and I like the facility. It would be nice if I could join and have a place to practice that type of shooting without having to drive to my buddy's ranch in Lometa. Sorry, but standing at a bench punching holes in paper gets boring quickly and isn't very good real world training (in my respectful opinion).

It's the link at the bottom of the web page to "Range Rules:"

Range Rules | Austin Rifle Club

MR2Aaron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Austin, TX
    As MReed said, the rules are at the bottom of the page, however...

Outside of the IPSC/IDPA/Other alphabet soup games, the rules are VERY strict about the fact that you really only can stand (or sit, in some cases) at the bench and punch holes in paper targets, and only on the other side of the facility. The "action bays" are for officially scheduled matches only, not for members to use whenever they want. In fact, that whole side of the facility is only used for scheduled matches, per the official rules. I think they allow steel targets on range E, though. No glass or cans or anything, though.

Now that I think about it, it's not clear to me how anyone practices for IDPA.

That aside, I love ARC. I haven't been to that many ranges, but it's far and away the best I've been to.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    As MReed said, the rules are at the bottom of the page, however...

Outside of the IPSC/IDPA/Other alphabet soup games, the rules are VERY strict about the fact that you really only can stand (or sit, in some cases) at the bench and punch holes in paper targets, and only on the other side of the facility. The "action bays" are for officially scheduled matches only, not for members to use whenever they want. In fact, that whole side of the facility is only used for scheduled matches, per the official rules. I think they allow steel targets on range E, though. No glass or cans or anything, though.

Not true. Only Range G is reserved for classes - H,I.J,K & L are open any time matches aren't using them. In fact, L is the catch-all range, allowing any firearm.

Range E allows for pistol steel targets and clay pigeons for shotgun use.

Now that I think about it, it's not clear to me how anyone practices for IDPA.

That aside, I love ARC. I haven't been to that many ranges, but it's far and away the best I've been to.

I like the fact that as a member, you're expected to uphold and enforce the rules as a group so there's no "range officer" stomping around feeling his only job is shouting at folks.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Have no been in a while, but I thought H, I and L on the action side are open to members when there is not a match. Rules allow shooting from a draw and rapid fire, so, set up a few target stands with paper and practice. Only rule is do it from behind the line. I generally go during the week and have a bay all to myself.

Just called the Chief Range Safety Officer and confirmed that H, I and L are available to the general members anytime there is not a match.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    Why is it so hard to find a range that will let you move around? I can't speak for anyone else, but in the event I ever have to use a firearm in defense I don't plan on standing in one place like a sitting duck in the process. It would be nice to be able to practice for real world situations.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Why is it so hard to find a range that will let you move around? I can't speak for anyone else, but in the event I ever have to use a firearm in defense I don't plan on standing in one place like a sitting duck in the process. It would be nice to be able to practice for real world situations.

ARC allows draw from holster. Fast draw/instinct shooting/hip shooting is prohibited, but draw from holster is not.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Transplanttexan.. moving with a loaded firearm is a tragedy in motion. Also, in the real world, (not Hollyweird) it is damn near next to impossible to hit anything while moving in any way that resembles controlled aimed fire. At ARC, we are very careful about every round impacting the berm. A single round getting out of the range could kill and or do real damage. I have been a member 30 years, held several officer positions, and hold the Club in the highest regard. Our safety record is what it is because of our rules, and the fact that anyone who doesn't comply is excused from membership.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Transplanttexan.. moving with a loaded firearm is a tragedy in motion. Also, in the real world, (not Hollyweird) it is damn near next to impossible to hit anything while moving in any way that resembles controlled aimed fire.

What about the IDPA and IPSC matches where firing-in-motion is a part of the course? I'd say that practice and those shooters do very, very well and in a safe manner thanks to the course/match officers.

As for ARC's safety record, I was impressed when I joined that they DID allow what they allowed and were still safe - it speaks to the quality of the members and everyone feeling like "an owner of the club." It's also clearly explained in the "newbie briefing" the development that's taken place around the facility since it opened and the changes made to help protect people that moved in AFTER the fact.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    My point was that the matches are supervised and controlled. It is way too easy for someone who is alone to slip/trip/fall and let a shot ot of the range or worse shoot themselves and that could be tragic. In Cowboy action we move with loaded gns, but are not firing. I can see someone trying to shoot and run at a target and whoooppppsss.....

Top Bottom