• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    My point was that the matches are supervised and controlled. It is way too easy for someone who is alone to slip/trip/fall and let a shot ot of the range or worse shoot themselves and that could be tragic. In Cowboy action we move with loaded gns, but are not firing. I can see someone trying to shoot and run at a target and whoooppppsss.....

I definitely agree that things like Simunition are MUCH better for move-and-shoot training. Risking the use of lethal force for training should be left to very advanced, very supervised training.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    Transplanttexan.. moving with a loaded firearm is a tragedy in motion.

Which is why there are entire shooting disciplines in which moving during a stage is integral. /sarcasm

I have been to multiple matches at ARC where everyone participating moved with a loaded firearm..no tragedies. I just would like to be able to get that same practice but without shelling out the money for a match and only shooting a few times the whole day.

Unfortunately it seems like ARC, as well as most other ranges around here, don't trust their members to do anything unsupervised other than stand a few feet away from a stationary paper target and methodically punch holes in said paper. I'm sorry but there is nothing "Hollyweird" about training for a scenario that involves something other than an assailant standing perfectly still seven yards away while you carefully achieve perfect sight alignment and squeeze off one round per second.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Which is why there are entire shooting disciplines in which moving during a stage is integral. /sarcasm

I have been to multiple matches at ARC where everyone participating moved with a loaded firearm..no tragedies. I just would like to be able to get that same practice but without shelling out the money for a match and only shooting a few times the whole day.

Unfortunately it seems like ARC, as well as most other ranges around here, don't trust their members to do anything unsupervised other than stand a few feet away from a stationary paper target and methodically punch holes in said paper. I'm sorry but there is nothing "Hollyweird" about training for a scenario that involves something other than an assailant standing perfectly still seven yards away while you carefully achieve perfect sight alignment and squeeze off one round per second.

If you buy your own land and do this, you're welcome to accept the liability.

ARC allows it when supervised, typically a match. I'm sure you could talk to an RO, instructor or the board about setting up IPSC/IDPA practice. Maybe call Sheldon from ALS?

The problem is that unsupervised the possibility of a stray round is MUCH higher, so it's disallowed. I'd like to do a lot of things there that aren't practical, but enjoy it for what it is and what it offers, and how it's maintained and operated.

Sounds like you don't. Sorry to hear that, but not sorry enough to want to risk an errant shot causing the closing of the club. One not need look too hard for stories of this happening all over Texas.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Austin
    If you buy your own land and do this, you're welcome to accept the liability.

ARC allows it when supervised, typically a match. I'm sure you could talk to an RO, instructor or the board about setting up IPSC/IDPA practice. Maybe call Sheldon from ALS?

The problem is that unsupervised the possibility of a stray round is MUCH higher, so it's disallowed. I'd like to do a lot of things there that aren't practical, but enjoy it for what it is and what it offers, and how it's maintained and operated.

Sounds like you don't. Sorry to hear that, but not sorry enough to want to risk an errant shot causing the closing of the club. One not need look too hard for stories of this happening all over Texas.

This is true. I had high hopes for the place in Creedmoor but that's currently shut down. Looks like it's the occasional supervised match at ARC and trips to Lometa for me.

Glad to get the feedback from y'all though before messing with membership though. If it's not a good fit, it's not a good fit.

laurafan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I believe the club rules allow for members that either a USPSA ROs or IDPA SOs to schedule practice sessions, but they have to be scheduled in advance, and the RO/SO can't be shooting ( so if everyone wants to practice you will need two people that have RO/SO credentials.)

FWIW I talk to the new membership director from time to time, so if you think you application got lost let me know and I will ask Al about it.

Also, I'm one of the people that does the safety evaluation, so if you have any questions about the process let me know.

Last edited:

ZINCOGNITO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    AUSTIN
    It's a shame how such a nice city can be surrounded by nanny type ranges. Not only do I have to go through a background check, attend 2 separate "courses", pay the membership but I still have to some sort of "community service" within six months before being fully blessed? To make matters worse, I can't use a tac bay for what a tac bay is suppose to be used for? I'm not even going to get into the other ones in the area. Private property only for me........

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    it's a shame how such a nice city can be surrounded by nanny type ranges. Not only do i have to go through a background check, attend 2 separate "courses", pay the membership but i still have to some sort of "community service" within six months before being fully blessed? To make matters worse, i can't use a tac bay for what a tac bay is suppose to be used for? I'm not even going to get into the other ones in the area. Private property only for me........

botw?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    [ QUOTE=ZINCOGNITO;928499]It's a shame how such a nice city can be surrounded by nanny type ranges. Not only do I have to go through a background check, attend 2 separate "courses", pay the membership but I still have to some sort of "community service" within six months before being fully blessed? To make matters worse, I can't use a tac bay for what a tac bay is suppose to be used for? I'm not even going to get into the other ones in the area. Private property only for me........[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're on about. The only things required are a range safety evaluation (not a class) and a range orientation class that describes the general range rules, guest procedures, and various range uses. That's pretty reasonable considering it's an otherwise unsupervised open range.

There's no background check if you have a CHL.

I was never presented with a requirement to do any sort of public service or volunteer work, either.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    It's a shame how such a nice city can be surrounded by nanny type ranges. Not only do I have to go through a background check, attend 2 separate "courses", pay the membership but I still have to some sort of "community service" within six months before being fully blessed?
    Helps keep the riffraff out!

ZINCOGNITO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2013
    AUSTIN
    Nothing I've read or heard backs your "unsupervised" claim. Seems to me like you always have someone looking over your shoulder. Course, class, evaluation or whatever you want to call it is unnecessary if you always have someone watching. As a new resident of Texas at the time, no CHL had been acquired when I look into them. Also, I'm pretty sure their website states you need to volunteer in two events during your probationary period.

Anyhow, I'm not going to bicker with you but it's not for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I was never presented with a requirement to do any sort of public service or volunteer work, either.

When I attempted to join in 2011 the docs said roughly 'as a conditional member you must complete 3 Work Saturdays in the 1st 6 months in order to be put up for vote to full membership' ..... may have changed it.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    They had added some stuff to make sure it was more of a club, so the place would be treated with due respect.
    As opposed to a private range, there is nobody there paid to maintain the ranges, cleanup after people, etc. It is all volunteer, so they want people to treat the place better and feel ownership.
    My understanding is that they got a lot of negative feedback, so they got rid of some of the requirements.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yep. I've been there at least once as the only person on the range. No supervision required. To each his own. You're still welcome at matches. :)

Top Bottom