• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddlmr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    leander
    Anybody find any good deals? I wanted to go look for a 357 wheel gun but not sure if it would be better just to buy off texasguntrader.
    Todd

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Honestly, I've seen long lines at Allan's tables at the SA SAXET show as well; but I've never seen them shut down the tables. He has some of the best prices for new guns at the show (and a lot of my money over the years, but it was for good reason!) so it's not surprising that he'd be busy; but to actually shut down is. Maybe he hadn't planned for so much business, but it looks bad on one of the best large-scale vendors in the area...

Other than that, how was the show? Thought about going up, but other things came up so I didn't get the chance.

Cheers! M2

It was pretty much the standard Austin Saxet show otherwise. I've gotten the AK bug in the last month or so, but it seemed like there were not nearly as many available as I remember in shows past. In fairness though, this was the first show where I actively sought them out.

I ended up with a couple of gun-related knicknacks and an AR receiver from Spreadfire on the off-chance I ever get time to put one together. I passed on the parakeet table.

I haven't been to the SA Saxet show, but I went to the one last year put on by the Ft. Worth guys, and that Ft. Worth show blows Saxet away in terms of vendors. Still, there are two or three vendors in addition to AJC at the Austin Saxet (and I assume SA Saxet) that consistently have decent prices, if not the wide selection, so I enjoy going. I sure wish AJC had stayed open as he always seems to have stuff that others don't, like Walthers.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Anybody find any good deals? I wanted to go look for a 357 wheel gun but not sure if it would be better just to buy off texasguntrader.
    Todd

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    There seemed to be a lot of revolvers out yesterday but I'm not that into revolvers so I couldn't really tell you if there were any good deals or not. I did hold a Uberti that felt sublimely awesome in my hand, so now I'm gonna start researching those.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It was pretty much the standard Austin Saxet show otherwise. I've gotten the AK bug in the last month or so, but it seemed like there were not nearly as many available as I remember in shows past. In fairness though, this was the first show where I actively sought them out.

Thanks, I'm focused on AKs as well so I'm glad I didn't make the trip if the offerings were slim...

I haven't been to the SA Saxet show, but I went to the one last year put on by the Ft. Worth guys, and that Ft. Worth show blows Saxet away in terms of vendors. Still, there are two or three vendors in addition to AJC at the Austin Saxet (and I assume SA Saxet) that consistently have decent prices, if not the wide selection, so I enjoy going. I sure wish AJC had stayed open as he always seems to have stuff that others don't, like Walthers.

You mean the Premier Gun Shows one? If so, they're the same folks that host the San Antonio Gun Show; which I prefer over SAXET for several reasons (larger aisles, more vendors, friendlier promoters, etc). Still, we usually go to the monthly SAXET show here in SA although some months it's the same old stuff. What prompts me to continue going is that every couple of months I find a good deal on something I really want (such as a SGL-20 from AJC) but more importantly it has become something of a small Texas Gun Talk get-together that is always enjoyable! That alone makes it a lot more enjoyable!

Cheers! M2

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Went this afternoon and enjoyed myself there.
    I bought several more magazines for my 1911 (Chip McCormick's), and then a few more for my HK as well.
    I had gotten a nice range bag for myself at the San Antonio show last month. My brother liked it so much that I got him one like mine today (same awesome vendor was there!).
    Finally, I got a few more boxes of ammo to shoot next Sunday. Nice prices all around!

I saw Scott from BullitProof there. He had a smaller area this time, but his selection and prices were as good as ever. He's definitely the guy I'm seeing for my next purchase!
    Afterwards, I stopped by work to pick up my laptop and ran into a co-worker who told me he's thinking about getting a new pistol for himself and maybe his wife. I told him to go see Scott in Buda!

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    They need to move the saxet to the cedar park center, Ive been saying that for years now and heck with liberal austin, im surprised they still allow them to be there.

TheJayMan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Round Rock
    Negligent Discharge at Saxet Show, Austin Sunday 1/29

Unfortunately, it happened again. This time it was at the Saxet gun show in Austin on Sunday 1/29. All of a sudden we heard a gunshot and the police that work the show came running. It was a vendor's .380. I'm not completely sure what happened but at least when it discharged he was pointing the gun at the floor. They packed up his stuff and sent him on his way. He will be banned from any future shows and if he had a CHL he can probably kiss that goodbye as well.

Needless to say this shook everyone up, many left immediately.

Jay

cwesh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Georgetown, Texas
    Yea, I was there too at my table about 50 ft away, it sure got quiet for a minute, fortunately no one was hurt.

I walked past the area about 15 minutes later and saw a pistol on the table, mag out and about 5 or 6 rounds laying there including the case and bullet of the one discharged, with an officer taking notes. He did have a CHL.

He was packed up and gone in about 20-30 minutes, on one hand I feel sorry for him, but on the other, why did he carry at the show?

There is a dent in the floor now, it left a white circle about the size of a nickle where the bullet hit.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Our table was only about 50 feet away too, my partner said you could hear a pin drop after it went off. Ricocheted off the floor and embedded itself in his carts (uses them instead of tables). Supposedly it was his own gun and not one of the guns he was selling, which makes it even harder to understand. What in the heck are you doing with your booger hook on the trigger of your CHL gun, ESPECIALLY when every dealer knows that CHL or any loaded gun is against the rules. I believe that vendor normally took up a full middle section, that is going to hurt him losing Todd's shows.

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    Been to the Austin show a few times but I prefer the San Antonio shows. Glad no-one got hurt with the discharge, maybe he forgot to unload it because he was setting up his gear?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    No excuse whatsoever, everyone knows the rules and must abide by them. What if someone had been injured or even worse? Incidents like this could have a huge detrimental impact on local gun shows, and only serve as fodder for the anti-gun crowd. If a vendor doesn't take the proper safety precautions, being around firearms all the time, how can you expect the general gun-carrying public to do so? That's the argument we'd hear, and in some respects it is a valid point; but we need to ensure they don't get the opportunity to spread such rhetoric to the public...

And not only will it impact his business not being at Todd's show, but I wonder how much on an impact it will have on Todd's show!?! I've heard rumors that things have been a little tough at the Austin SAXET show, and things like this don't usually help.

Cheers! M2

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Negligent Discharge at Saxet Show, Austin Sunday 1/29

Unfortunately, it happened again. This time it was at the Saxet gun show in Austin on Sunday 1/29. All of a sudden we heard a gunshot and the police that work the show came running. It was a vendor's .380. I'm not completely sure what happened but at least when it discharged he was pointing the gun at the floor. They packed up his stuff and sent him on his way. He will be banned from any future shows and if he had a CHL he can probably kiss that goodbye as well.

Needless to say this shook everyone up, many left immediately.

Jay

Way to go.
    Glad nobody got hurt.

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    If a vendor doesn't take the proper safety precautions, being around firearms all the time, how can you expect the general gun-carrying public to do so? That's the argument we'd hear, and in some respects it is a valid point; but we need to ensure they don't get the opportunity to spread such rhetoric to the public...

And not only will it impact his business not being at Todd's show, but I wonder how much on an impact it will have on Todd's show!?!

Cheers! M2

Safety is never guaranteed 100%, accidents will happen that is very high probability. If the Saxet show is in trouble maybe they should change their "rules" because what they are doing is obviously not working. All guns that enter that building should be un-loaded and safety checked with a zip-tie. If it does not have a zip-tie on it, then that will let everyone know it has not been safety checked.

Saxet should inspect all vendor stations before the doors open. This is not the Police's job that is Saxet's job and obviously they are not doing enough.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Safety is never guaranteed 100%, accidents will happen that is very high probability. If the Saxet show is in trouble maybe they should change their "rules" because what they are doing is obviously not working. All guns that enter that building should be un-loaded and safety checked with a zip-tie. If it does not have a zip-tie on it, then that will let everyone know it has not been safety checked.

Saxet should inspect all vendor stations before the doors open. This is not the Police's job that is Saxet's job and obviously they are not doing enough.

Sorry, but it's not the rules that need to be changed; they're sufficient. The issue is that they don't want/need to frisk every individual that enters the facility. There is a clear 30.06 sign posted at the door (at least there was when we went) and that's law regardless of the fact you are a vendor or a participant.

And I have never heard of an unloaded gun going off, so your "accidents will happen" argument is moot. I do understand risk management and all the right precautions are in place. If one individual fails to abide by them, be it intentional or otherwise, then they are the ones to blame and no one else.

If individuals cannot be responsible enough to obey the rules, then they shouldn't be allowed to conceal carry in the first place. It's that simple.

Top Bottom