• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I thought they did away with that program after Obama left. At this point, they can find another bank but no bank that is open to businesses should be allowed to do that, if it is a legal business.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I use a credit union rather than a bank. One way not to support those kind of banks.

Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW
    I thought they did away with that program after Obama left. At this point, they can find another bank but no bank that is open to businesses should be allowed to do that, if it is a legal business.

Right. Just like a bakery should be forced to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple....

MikeyJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Tomball
    Right. Just like a bakery should be forced to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple....

Depending on how the bank is chartered, it is regulated either by the state or federal government. Bakeries are not (other than health codes and the like). But I see where you are going...

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Great.. .we just got a car financed through 5th 3rd
    I doubt they know you like guns and even if they do that aren't going to call your loan unless you miss payments or some other requirement of the loan, such as adequate insurance.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Wrong. Banks are corporate entities regulated by FDIC and SEC among other Govt. Regulatory agencies. That is different than a sole proprietor independent business. I liken it to the legal CC on a private property that IS a business. IF a patron is behaving within the confines of the law, private businesses should not prohibit lawful carry just because they do not like it.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Looks like more business for Wells Fargo. As long as there is money to be made, there will always be a bank somewhere that will want to do business.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Banks are corporate entities regulated by FDIC and SEC among other Govt. Regulatory agencies.
    Yep, and it was through those regulations that banks were forced to participate in Operation Choke Point.

I'd rather a few businesses deny me service because they think I'm icky, than the government telling a whole industry to deny me service.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wrong. Banks are corporate entities regulated by FDIC and SEC among other Govt. Regulatory agencies. That is different than a sole proprietor independent business. I liken it to the legal CC on a private property that IS a business. IF a patron is behaving within the confines of the law, private businesses should not prohibit lawful carry just because they do not like it.

I agree, they shouldn’t.

Doesn’t mean they don’t have the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Yep, and it was through those regulations that banks were forced to participate in Operation Choke Point.

I'd rather a few businesses deny me service because they think I'm icky, than the government telling a whole industry to deny me service.
    While I agree with your sentiment, these are two different issues. Op. Choke Point is no more which is why I posted what I did. Most Banks were happy to go along with the infringement of the 2A anyway and now that the op is gone, some Banks are still doing it. True, other Banks will welcome the business but it is a huge ordeal to switch Banks for the legitimate business owner nor should they have to. Govt. Infringement. Business infringement, to many hate gun roghts

Nick!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2017
    DFW

I'm not attorney or legal expert, but I still don't see how government regulation, presumably having mostly to do with things like financial holding requirements, licensing, financial reporting and all the now Too Big to Fail BS would extends to oversight about who the bank can and can't do business with.

Personally, I can't allow myself to get upset because Fifth Third made a choice to not do business with a specific company or even an industry. Moreover, the last thing I want is our trusty government to step in and force a business to do something.

But the rub here might be who and what is considered a "protected class" (race, sex, age, etc.).

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I'm not attorney or legal expert, but I still don't see how government regulation, presumably having mostly to do with things like financial holding requirements, licensing, financial reporting and all the now Too Big to Fail BS would extends to oversight about who the bank can and can't do business with.

Personally, I can't allow myself to get upset because Fifth Third made a choice to not do business with a specific company or even an industry. Moreover, the last thing I want is our trusty government to step in and force a business to do something.

But the rub here might be who and what is considered a "protected class" (race, sex, age, etc.).

You can't allow yourself to get upset? Yeah, it's just a firearm business right? Who cares about Spikes Tactical, their employees, and how they contribute to the FL economy? You do live among us right? The trusty govt. steps in and forces business' to do something all the time. Your health insurance and 1/6 of the GDP is a prime example. That said, I am not arguing for more govt. regulation or taxation. Let's face it, other than the military, the govt. really doesn't do much well. What I am arguing is that a Corporate entity that has investors, a board. and solicits the public to exchange commerce with them should not be allowed to selectively choose to disavow a customer that is abiding within the law and has done nothing wrong within the policy they both initially agreed to. It's not just about a firearm business.

It is in sync with my other analogy - If you are a lawful armed person, you should not be barred from a business that solicits the public for customers simply because you are exercising a lawful behavior that is...........................(wait for it)...................................
    a Constitutional right. Totally different from private property owner like a residence or a business that does not solicit the public for business. I'm not a lawyer either but rather an informed conservative citizen that believes the govt. should abide by the Constitution and think I have a reasonable understanding of the law. It's the lawyers that continually *uck up the law.

Top Bottom