Patriot Mobile

Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine threading "legalities"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Now I'm curious.
    Like I said, I deleted it immediately.

Were you able to quote it from the actual post when you did, 28 minutes later?
    Was it visible?

Yes, page was open on my computer. I started reply, got distracted (FEDEX Man delivered my G44!), then came back finished and hit post.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    (r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—
    (1)
    the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
    (2)
    the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

So a person threading the barrel is not assembling imported parts, rather they are modifying a legally imported firearm. The word "modify" does not appear in 922(r), if the word search function was working properly. Of course this is using common sense, which may bear no resemblance to how this is interpreted or enforced.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Soooo, the short answer is that the Beretta CX4 is not 922(r) compliant while the Scorpion is because CZ assembles them in Czech Republic with US parts.

For the CX4 to be compliant I would need to replace at least 10 (of the listed 20 in the regulation) Beretta (Italy) parts with parts that were manufactured in the US...and until that time it would be illegal to thread the barrel because I would be "modifying" a sporting arm into a non-sporting arm that would have been banned from import in the first place.

Looks like I'll be leaving the CX4 alone. It's just not worth it when there are so many easier options available.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Soooo, the short answer is that the Beretta CX4 is not 922(r) compliant while the Scorpion is because CZ assembles them in Czech Republic with US parts.

For the CX4 to be compliant I would need to replace at least 10 (of the listed 20 in the regulation) Beretta (Italy) parts with parts that were manufactured in the US...and until that time it would be illegal to thread the barrel because I would be "modifying" a sporting arm into a non-sporting arm that would have been banned from import in the first place.

Keep in mind there is no Case Law on this, that is the Internet Interpretation.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think most people just assume that the ATF will use any excuse to **** them over.

No idea why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    dont-mind-me.png

Attachments

• dont-mind-me.png
      dont-mind-me.png
      54.8 KB · Views: 817

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Your choice. I, like Rick Perry, would thread away using the common sense interpretation @oldag provided.

Are you sure Rick didn’t just order the kit that used to be readily available to swap out factory parts with American made parts?

Edit to add: Serious question, not smartass remark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant