• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I have a number of them. None have ever failed. Know quite a few people with them, none of theirs have malfunctioned.
    My Kimber UCDP .45 was a mess. I had a local gunsmith tear it down, polish, trigger ”job”, etc. but I still don’t trust it.

BTW the smith is a highly experienced guy; said the sear was CAST, not forged

IMHO, the Kimbers are the most over-rated junk out there. The Taurus 1911, which costs about $500 less, is a much better piece. My COLTS rarely fail.

leVieux

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    My Kimber UCDP .45 was a mess. I had a local gunsmith tear it down, polish, trigger ”job”, etc. but I still don’t trust it.

BTW the smith is a highly experienced guy; said the sear was CAST, not forged

IMHO, the Kimbers are the most over-rated junk out there. The Taurus 1911, which costs about $500 less, is a much better piece. My COLTS rarely fail.

leVieux
    When I grow up I'm still getting a Colt

crash813

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2022
    ATX
    New standard Colt gov models should come in right around $1k. So if you really need a Colt, you can get one, but its a no frills, entry model. For new money, I would still look at the SR1911. Ruger builds a solid gun and have heard they have nothing but great customer service. Just got an ad for a SR1911 Commander for $899. For a range gun, I love the commander size for joy of shooting. For accuracy, go for a 5". I'm also assuming you're looking for 45 since this is your first.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Have a very early Kimber,3 1911's I built, an ATI Commander, an RIA 3.5 inch compact, and an older Para--Ordnance P-12. They all work. I admit, I did a fluff and buff on the ATI and RIA as soon as they got home.
    All for way less than $1000, even when adjusted for inflation on the oldies.

Last edited:

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    Someone mention Springfield Armory yet? They make really good 1911s and they have several lines and barrel lengths to choose from.

I should also mention, Smith and Wesson E series 1911's are nice. There's one stainless model left @ riflegear for $979

Or if you just want to go dirt cheap, SDS tisas 1911s are on sale for $319. I'll post a link in the good gun deal thread for both:

post #10,822

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Someone mention Springfield Armory yet? They make really good 1911s and they have several lines and barrel lengths to choose from.
    Baby boy I carried a fs Springer for better part of 10yrs
    20210806_180211.jpg
    that is my baby it got to heavy but I'll always love this pistol

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    I picked up a new Fusion 10mm Commander size (built in Florida) for right at $800.00. Pretty impressed with the fit and finish at the price point. It's also a solid shooter. I also have a Springfield Ronin Commander in 9mm and a Garrison 5" in 45 acp. I still have my Colt 70 Series built 1979 and owned since new. My EDC now is a SA EMP 3" in 40 S&W. I have had several Kimbers in 3", 4" and 5" and zero issues. I have owned several Rocks, Rugers, Remingtons. I have some plastic guns but carry 1911. Lot's of options out there to buy at reasonable price.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Another brand you might want to check out is "American Classic". They are a Philipino maker that used to be imported through 'Eagle Imports'. Not sure who imports them now. Goods guns for the price.

Top Bottom