• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    RIA seem to be well liked around these parts. I can’t speak from experience there. I’d take the 800.00 and go for a 10mm RIA we’re I in the market.

Beyond that- buy a used 1911 and the sub-$1,000 world is your oyster. As an aside, my Kimber Ultra Carry 2 is a beast machine. I bet my life on it regularly and know through training that it will perform.
    DK Firearms

crash813

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2022
    ATX
    Ruger - SR1911 for a great gun out of the box
    Kimbers and Colts ain't what they use to be
    RIA can be really good, but have seen a number fall short

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Sold a lot of 1911's and own more than a few (like some others here)............

Bargain 1911's that are good guns, RIA, TISAS, Girsan, Metro arms........

One over looked and under appreciated 1911....Desert Eagle......all the bells and whistles, excellent build quality and accurate......under 1K............

Do not buy a Taurus 1911....don't even bother looking at one.........

Millerwb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Bryan
    If I were looking to buy another 1911, and money wasn't a concern, I would still but a SDS/Tisas or a RIA. They are both well made and durable guns. Yes, I have more expensive 1911s, a Kimber made in Clackmass and a Colt from 1948 That has been built to be a Bullseye gun (tighter than lugnuts). Still the Tisas or RIA would be my go to.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I'm Not a ria spokesman or salesman.
    But over the years I have come to respect them and trust them.
    I've got a dear friend that has many many 1911s he has beautiful colts browning etc but he got decent money.
    Me po black child. I can afford a little better these days.
    But mine aren't safe queens mine are edc so if I have to defend myself I'm not as upset about a 5-700 $ have to surrender all I want is function and decent poi when I use it...
    So yes I'm a 1911 an rock fan boi

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I've had my RIA for about a decade now and just got a Tisas for $550. "Under $1000" theres a LOT of options out there. Dad had a Taurus as well. For budget 1911's I'm not certain there is a 'bad' one out there; RIA, Tisas, Girsan, Taurus, all seem to be fantastic. No they're not going to compete against a brand for triple the price, but if you just want a 1911 that is accurate for the range, they'll do fine. I wasn't a fan of dad's kimber Ultra CDP II because of the wonky disassembly process, and it was a commander size which sometimes just wouldn't cycle and according to the internet, shorter barrel 1911's aren't as good for cycling.

I got a used springfield for $750 which has a nicer finish than my RIA, but the Tisas machining feels on par with the Springfield for $250 less.

In short, it doesn't matter what you get, they're all good now. Don't be brand myopic, and don't think you're getting double the gun for double the price.
    All of my my compact 1911's (4" and 3" barrels) have functioned flawlessly.

According to the internet, cloth masks prevent covid transmission.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I have only read and heard good things about the Ruger 1911. The Remington 1911 seemed solid with good quality.

Sig makes an excellent 1911, do not know if they are still under $1k though.
    Not even used ones around here even in the pawnshops if they even have 1911s in stock they are running 1500 plus.
    Friend of mine stumbled upon one about 1.5 yrs ago paid 1300 for his loves it sweet shooter but not cheap

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    All of my my compact 1911's (4" and 3" barrels) have functioned flawlessly.

According to the internet, cloth masks prevent covid transmission.

When someone relies on the internet for "facts", you can bet they're wrong.....lol

I've got somewhere around 30-40 1911's under 5", from a variety of different makers. None have failed or had feed issues. A lot of companies don't like making them because they ARE more demanding on manufacturing accuracy standards - but tell ya what.....I'll stack my old Elektra against any 5" - and can generally out-shoot 'em. Now, they never were a sub-1k gun, and now that they're no longer made, their prices have actually gone up - but if something happened to one of 'em, I'd pay whatever it took to get another backup Elektra.

And no, @kyletxria1911a1 you can NOT "borrow" it!

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    When someone relies on the internet for "facts", you can bet they're wrong.....lol

I've got somewhere around 30-40 1911's under 5", from a variety of different makers. None have failed or had feed issues. A lot of companies don't like making them because they ARE more demanding on manufacturing accuracy standards - but tell ya what.....I'll stack my old Elektra against any 5" - and can generally out-shoot 'em. Now, they never were a sub-1k gun, and now that they're no longer made, their prices have actually gone up - but if something happened to one of 'em, I'd pay whatever it took to get another backup Elektra.

And no, @kyletxria1911a1 you can NOT "borrow" it!
    See how you do can I get the Colt now you when I get older I could have it I'm older now

Top Bottom