• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I'm looking to pick up a good multi-tool. There's so many out there that it's hard to determine which ones are the most sought after. I want to use it for EDC so it has to have the following tools:

1. Pliers (built-in wirecutters a plus)
    2. Knife (serrated a plus)
    3. Interchangeable screwdriver heads (something I can use at the gun range as well as small tasks around the house)
    4. Bottle/Can Opener
    5. File
    6. Belt/Pocket Clip

I'd like something built to take damage (good steel) with tools that are easy to access and have positive locking mechanisms, if possible.

What do you guys recommend? Please provide pics and prices if you can.
    Capitol Armory ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Haven't bought into multi-tools too much. I've had several over the years, some were gifts and some were bought by me, but I really haven't had any that were even close to the tool they were trying to represent. Granted, in a field situation we have to make compromises but ................. I'd rather carry a toolbox in the trunk that use multi-tools. There are probably some really good ones out there but I haven't seen them. It seems to be one of those deals where a multi-tool can do a great deal of things (or "everything") but can only do them half-ass. I don't hike, ride bikes, or venture too far from the cooler so I don't really have a need for one. I will follow this thread closely to hopefully learn there are some good ones out there. ;)

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I haven't had many multi-tools either. The one I currently use is a Leatherman Wingman and over the past few months I've found it pretty useful both at the range, around the house/campsite, and it's even come in handy just out and about. However, I found that it lacks some features that I think I'd find handy... primarily more options in terms of driver heads (are there multitools with hex wrenches?), a dedicated can opener, and tools that are accessible without having to open the whole shebang.

It doesn't replace my EDC knife but it sure is handy for any tasks that don't require a lot of cutting...

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    I have the Gerber Suspension, here: Suspension Multi-Plier . The one thing that it's missing that you are looking for is additional bits. It was a Christmas gift last year, and I have used the heck out of it for small stuff at home and work. The big positive of this one is that I don't need to open it up to access the different tools. And the tools lock open, too.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I prefer the SOG Powerassist. Haven't owned a Gerber multitool but have seen the pliers snap without a large amount of force in the heat. CEO of leatherman is a PETA supported a believe but the product is good.

What I do like on mine is the hex driver, kinda nice. Certainly not a replacement for a real driver but can do in a pinch.

PowerLock - Multi-tools - Everyday Carry

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Daughter bought me a cheap-ass one from Coleman. It has been pretty darn handy. Lives in the range bag - pliers for pulling out FTE's out of the the old-as-hell Winchester .22. Sterling borrowed it at the range and stole the pouch though. I think most of them would be pretty handy, but no where built to the purpose of a purpose built tool.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    uvudyzez.jpg
    I have both the Leatherman Wingman and the Gerber Suspension. In design, I prefer the Gerber Suspension. However-this pic shows what happened to it after 6 months of me using it on the job in the military.

The Leatherman has the same spring assist in the pliers, and has kept on trucking. I keep it on my range bag and have gotten plenty of use out of it

Oh yea-SOG makes some top notch stuff. You can't go wrong with SOG anything.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    uvudyzez.jpg
    I have both the Leatherman Wingman and the Gerber Suspension. In design, I prefer the Gerber Suspension. However-this pic shows what happened to it after 6 months of me using it on the job in the military.

The Leatherman has the same spring assist in the pliers, and has kept on trucking. I keep it on my range bag and have gotten plenty of use out of it

Oh yea-SOG makes some top notch stuff. You can't go wrong with SOG anything.

I heard that was a problem with some of the softer steel that Gerber uses. Starting to look at SOGs - nice stuff but they can get pricey. However, I like their lifetime warranties.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I'm looking to pick up a good multi-tool. There's so many out there that it's hard to determine which ones are the most sought after. I want to use it for EDC so it has to have the following tools:

1. Pliers (built-in wirecutters a plus)
    2. Knife (serrated a plus)
    3. Interchangeable screwdriver heads (something I can use at the gun range as well as small tasks around the house)
    4. Bottle/Can Opener
    5. File
    6. Belt/Pocket Clip

I'd like something built to take damage (good steel) with tools that are easy to access and have positive locking mechanisms, if possible.

What do you guys recommend? Please provide pics and prices if you can.
    That is a Leatherman sjeketii CX

Leatherman Skeletool CX Multipurpose Tool (830851) - Sport Knives, Outdoor & Sporting Goods - nuLime.com

I have one and stopped carrying anything else since I got it, years ago. Its simple only has the tools you need not 10,000 kinds of stuff that takes a book to use and 3 hands to open.

Thegomezclan

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I the leatherman wave but the waves bigger brother the surge is what I carry now. I work at a winery and I uses it at least once a day. The 25yr warranty is great also, if they can't fix it they replace it.

RickyRifle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Leathermans are great. Tim Leatherman's politics are not so great. I think I still have an email from him asking if Republican operatives organized an email campaign against him for supporting Gore. I replied telling him we weren't brainless lemmings like the Dems.

SOG is pro-military but I don't have any experience with their products.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I use a Gerber Diesel they market it as a maintenance guy type multi-tool built a little bigger tougher etc. that being said I have snapped the pliers on a set.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I carry and use my leatherman surge every day. It's a bit on the heavy side, but you can access the knife, serrated blade, saw/file and scissors without opening it up.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I use a Gerber (Safety award from work), but not sure about the model. One of the guys at the deer lease swears by his Leatherman, though.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    I use a leatherman mut its made for ar platforms but has everyday applications. It has held up to 3 deployments and about 3 years of everyday wear and tear since I got out.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    DAMN you guys got all the cool toys. I just looked it up and fell in love. Its basically exactly what I've been looking for...and then some! I'm getting one. Good lookin out.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    I love it there is an eod version of it too has wire crimpers in the needle nose part. For crimping blasting caps and junk.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    DAMN you guys got all the cool toys. I just looked it up and fell in love. Its basically exactly what I've been looking for...and then some! I'm getting one. Good lookin out.

Yea mine was issued I didn't have to pay 150 bucks for mine. :cool:
    And u can hook up the issue cleaning rods to it and u have a nice handle. I love that leatherman saved my ass a few times. Down range.

Top Bottom