• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Sorry, but that is not a manufacturing defect, it is clearly from UV rays. Look at other cars and you'll see the same effects from the sun. It's commonly known as "dry rot"...and it's bad here in Texas due to the heat and constant UV rays they are subjected to...

Do You Really Need To Replace Those Tires? - Popular Mechanics

It is highly unlikely that DT or Goodyear will warranty these tires as if they did, they'd go broke doing the same with 75% of the vehicles in Texas!

And if you think it's unique to BF Goodrich tires, you're badly mistaken. As I said, any tire can suffer from it, and if you look around you'll see all other makes of tires have it.

IIRC from a previous time I talked to a tire guy that the cracks are from the heat cycles the tires go through. When they are mounted onto a vehicle, UV sun, accelerated age, heat cycles, weight and use all cause the cracks.
    Gun Zone Deals

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Michelin LTX M/S2. You'll thank me later.

We use Michelins on our SUV's that sit outside and they are good to go. The antique car I have uses BFG and they look good as new but the car sits inside.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    As some said, this Texas sun is brutal! If UV caused that problem or not, DT is unlikely to make an adjustment. Still, YOUR attitude and feelings about those tires are what's important. If you don't have confidence in the tires, get them off of your vehicle one way or another.

Flash

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    True. If I was just driving around town, never exceeding, say, 55, I would leave them on until they fall apart. But most of my driving with this vehicle is on the SH 130 toll road, where the speed limits are 80 and 85. Wouldn't feel comfortable at all.

Either way, whether DT gives an adjustment or not, I will be getting new ones. Just don't know if they will be the BFGs again. They were excellent until they started splitting. In fact, they still ride good.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    What does the date stamp say? If you don't know what it is it is an oval with four digits in it, toward the rim usually on the inside/ back of the tire. First two digits are the week and last two are the year of manufacture.

I was about to ask the same question.

Sometimes new tires are not new at all. If they were made 3-4 years before they were sold and then used for another 3-4 years it would easily explain their poor condition. I generally ask to see the date code for any tire I buy and reject anything more than 12 months old. In my experience the dry cracking begins around 5 years.

That said, I do notice my tires are wearing much faster in this state. I think it's a combination of higher speeds, higher temps and more abrasive concrete roads.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    What does the date stamp say? If you don't know what it is it is an oval with four digits in it, toward the rim usually on the inside/ back of the tire. First two digits are the week and last two are the year of manufacture.

The date stamp says 0510, so they were made around the the first of Feb, 2010. Just a month or so before they were installed.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I think the tire store and/or BFG should be able to do something for you. That's clearly not normal for a 4yr old tire.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I've been driving with these tires on my Expedition for about 4 1/2 years. Mostly on SH 130 at speeds of 80 and 85 mph. Then, Thursday, I happen to look at one of my tires, and this is what I see. Splits in the tread groove.

So, I check the other 3 tires, and guess what, they are the same way. Upon closer inspection, it gets even worse.

I'm freaked out. Even though I bought these tires in 2010, we don't drive the vehicle that often and they only have 8,100 miles on them. Lots of tread left, but it is separating from the sidewalls and splitting in the grooves. The tread is separating the entire circumference of the tire, and those groove splits are almost completely around too. I figure one tire, maybe, but all four? What in the world is going on here?

I keep them inflated to the proper pressure, no off roading, 90% highway driving. These are not the cheapest tires. They are the Goodrich Long Trail T/A.

I have an appointment with Discount Tires Monday. To me this looks like a factory defect and those guys better make it right. I don't know how long they've been that way.

I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Yes, I bought them at Discount Tires. They have a 60,000 mile warranty and should be pro rated on the amount of tread left on the tire. Which is a lot, since they only have 8,100 miles on them. I don't really expect a new set of tires at no cost. But they have been good to me in the past.

That damage is not from UV rays. These tires are coming apart.

On the Goodrich web site, their warranty says they will cover defects in material and workmanship for 6 years from date of purchase.

Well, it's going to be interesting. Even if they don't honor the warranty, I'll be getting new tires from them. I can't feel safe driving on these. And they won't be BF Goodrich.

I'll let you know the out come Monday afternoon.

The tires have a date on them of manuf, you have had them almost 5 years and they have 8100 miles on them.

You could call it atrophy from lack of use. Its NOT 'RAYS', you don't need to cover them in tin foil or your head either. Folks like to blame it UV, but that is not the problem. Its a "lack of exercise", you don't use it you lose it.

Tires contain chemicals that prevent drying, cracking and protect against UV. As you drive the chemicals come to the surface and in doing so work and lubricate the tires, but if you do not drive it then you will see the results in the pics you posted. Direct sun on an used tire accelerates the process of drying...duh, but if you drive it regularly it will not develop the severe cracks you showed. At the same time, you can lock the tires up in a box in a garage and the cracks will appear after time.

DRIVE and just say not to crack!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Unusual.

I run mostly BFG and GY and have never seen that. I put a lot of miles on and usually change them before 4 years, but I have a BFG spare on back of Jeep exposed to sun 24x7x365 for years that does not look like that.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Which brands are better than others at holding up to UV? This Texas sun is intense. Almost December and im still burning up. I keep one car inside and one outside so this has me thinking...

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Michelins are known for cracking. Here is a pic of my 5 year old michelins with about 40K on them. I consider this amount fairly normal and it does not concern me.

4b6e26dcf1f6624435d6b1a4ee6fc7e0.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417371006.923432.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417371006.923432.jpg
      21.3 KB · Views: 173

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Which brands are better than others at holding up to UV? This Texas sun is intense. Almost December and im still burning up. I keep one car inside and one outside so this has me thinking...

I don't know if one brand resists aging better than another.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The tires have a date on them of manuf, you have had them almost 5 years and they have 8100 miles on them.

You could call it atrophy from lack of use. Its NOT 'RAYS', you don't need to cover them in tin foil or your head either. Folks like to blame it UV, but that is not the problem. Its a "lack of exercise", you don't use it you lose it.

Tires contain chemicals that prevent drying, cracking and protect against UV. As you drive the chemicals come to the surface and in doing so work and lubricate the tires, but if you do not drive it then you will see the results in the pics you posted. Direct sun on an used tire accelerates the process of drying...duh, but if you drive it regularly it will not develop the severe cracks you showed. At the same time, you can lock the tires up in a box in a garage and the cracks will appear after time.

DRIVE and just say not to crack!

I'm going to make a point of driving the vehicle at least once a week with the new tires. This year, it probably sat for several stretches of 4-6 weeks.
    No more tire foam or Armor All either. That's about all I can do. No garage or carport and I don't like parking under Cedar trees. There's car covers, but outdoors they will trap moisture and damage the paint.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I'm going to make a point of driving the vehicle at least once a week with the new tires. This year, it probably sat for several stretches of 4-6 weeks.
    No more tire foam or Armor All either. That's about all I can do. No garage or carport and I don't like parking under Cedar trees. There's car covers, but outdoors they will trap moisture and damage the paint.

I lived out in the Sonoran Desert for over 6 years and my car sat outside, I ran BFG Km2's and Goodyear MTRs on my vehicles, never had an issue with cracking on any of them, again the key is to drive regularly to exercise and lube the tires.

Its not the UV that dries out the tire or the Texas weather, its a lack of driving, simple as that. I have a good friend who is a retired Goodyears tire engineer and its comes straight from him.

For you guys buying at Discount Tire which has got a LOT of my money over the years, when they pull up your tire buying history (if you have one there) ASK for Friends and Family discount....

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Don't tell the tire store you used anything on the tires. They will likely try to use that as an out.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Just got back from DT and I feel they were pretty fair with me. They offered an adjustment without any problem. Got out the door with a brand new set of BFGs for $320. Same tires I had before, but I paid $728 the first time.

The guy said pretty much the same thing Ole Cowboy was saying. Lack of driving causes the tires to dry out and basically rot. It can happen even when parked in the garage, although not as quickly.

Discount Tire has always treated me well in the past, they even replaced a tire on my wife's car a couple of years ago, and I hadn't purchased the road hazard warranty.

Thanks to all you guys for enlightening me about this dry rot thing. Since I retired (no pun) I just don't drive my vehicles that much anymore. My wife makes sure her tires are well lubed tho. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom