• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Heading back to visit family in upstate NY in June. Thought why not see some of the country side. Should be an interesting journey, sleeping two nights on the train. Any tips from anyone who has traveled by Amtrak? I've watched some YouTube videos people made while traveling.
    Guns International

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Heading back to visit family in upstate NY in June. Thought why not see some of the country side. Should be an interesting journey, sleeping two nights on the train. Any tips from anyone who has traveled by Amtrak? I've watched some YouTube videos people made while traveling.
    You will get a tour of many fine "Salvage Establishments"....

1676727601710.png

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    Coach or room?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Well, here is one guy who may never been seen again...

I remember back during the cold war days, someone suggesting putting our ICBM's on Amtrak. Said there would be no way the Russians would ever know where they were. Heck, we would not even know where they were.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Rode from Vancouver to Seattle.
    Nice trip down the coast. Seattle train station was kinda ghetto.
    We did Seattle to Spokane years back. The scenery was spectacular, but the sun was setting, so we finished in the dark. Had a nice meal in the diner car. The seats were like giant La-Z-Boys and reclined were pretty comfy and sleep-worthy.
    We often said we would hop on some day from Spokane and hop off in West Glacier. That one picked up about 2am, so you would miss the stunning mountain passes in the dark.
    I guess we'll just leave it on the bucket list...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    We did Seattle to Spokane years back. The scenery was spectacular, but the sun was setting, so we finished in the dark. Had a nice meal in the diner car. The seats were like giant La-Z-Boys and reclined were pretty comfy and sleep-worthy.
    We often said we would hop on some day from Spokane and hop off in West Glacier. That one picked up about 2am, so you would miss the stunning mountain passes in the dark.
    I guess we'll just leave it on the bucket list...
    We finished in the dark also. But it was July 4th.
    The fireworks along the coastline were a great view.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    We took a very short jaunt on Amtrak from NYC to Stamford, CT about 5 or 6 years ago. I can best describe the seating arrangement (coach seats) as not unlike flying in a single isle commercial jet. The seats were very similar, *but* there was at least twice the leg room, maybe more. I’m 6’1” and could comfortably stretch my legs out. Also the seats were about 1.5x as wide as an air liner. Definitely more real estate per passenger

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    If money isn't a problem, the best way to go is to get a room (even better is a 1st class room). A standard room you at least have access to a shared shower, 1st class you have a private shower in the room. With either room (I think, it's been awhile since I've traveled by train), meals are included.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Enjoy it! My favorite train trip was from Nuevo Laredo to Mexico City on the Aztec Eagle in the '80's. Winding through the mountains, we could walk out on the outside deck (vestibule? - whatever) and watch the countryside go by.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    watch your stuff very carefully. lock it up, maybe tip a conductor/steward up front to keep an eye on it. thieves are rampant, and many are known to 'specialize' on trains and specific types of travelers... targeting the way we 'look', they ride for one stop. scenery can be interesting or boring. you see alot of wasted places and run down communities along the tracks because the activity is now along the roads instead. take alot of books if you read. might meet a few friendly folks. first aid kit is a good idea. and as mentioned alot of non perishable snack foods, and drinks. it's different.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    years ago you could get a 'eurorail' pass, take your bike and travel all over europe for the summer. that was fun, and everyone was peaceful and friendly back then. and the food was so good!!!! now that was REALLY the "good ol' days".

Top Bottom