• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That may have been when it was a money-hemorrhaging state park, it's been operated under contract by private for-profit companies in recent years that have made efforts to improve efficiency and actually turn a profit.

Eli

There's a different kind of cost incurred, though. Chugging along behind a steam locomotive is a very different experience from being pulled by a diesel. I've never been all that "into" trains, but I'll never forget that steam engine pulling in to take us on the little excursion through the forest or the sound of it working at the head of the train.
    Target Sports

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    That may have been when it was a money-hemorrhaging state park, it's been operated under contract by private for-profit companies in recent years that have made efforts to improve efficiency and actually turn a profit.

Eli
    I was under the understanding the Texas State RailRoad is a private, they only rent the depots. I do believe they have a couple of different locomotives from
    different eras. I could see when they run the Polar Express using the diesel locomotive. I spent more the a few cod ass morning sitting in a blind army buddies place.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Just saw this thread.

As stated before, get a room. Last time I traveled Amtrak the room included the meals. It’s also nice to lay down on the pullout bed and lock the door when you want to sleep. If you like, they have a bar downstairs with a bartender and movies playing. Some of the passenger trains have an observation car that has a dome, large windows and swivel chairs. Expect to stop a lot. Every town with an Amtrak station has the possibility of passengers getting on or off. Amtrak is supposed to take priority over freight but we run trains these days that are sometimes 3x longer than the sidings so it’s difficult to make a good meet unless planned far in advance. My last trip on Saturday, the train ahead had ALOT of delays that I won’t bore everyone with the details but it caused about a 12 hour delay for Amtrak. We ran out of time on our train and Amtrak couldn’t get around us on single main track. Just expect to be delayed.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Yeah I'm traveling coach only $166 opposed to a room $1000. The price is changing, when I first looked the same coach ticket was $128. Same couch today is $207.

OldPhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2017
    Orangefield
    Being that last week was our Spring Break, I took my family to the Grand Canyon.
    I booked 4 tickets on the Williams Grand Canyon Railway from Williams to the South Rim.

It is still a working rail line, it is a 2.5-hour ride from the town of Williams, Arizona up north through the wilderness and snowy mountains. It was great. What gets me was that for all 4 of us, it was a fraction of the cost to travel in first class ($750).

While Amtrack is great, it is much more expensive than flying Southwest and unfortunately much longer...
    We were able to get the train experience, see the Grand Canyon and not break the bank.
    Ex-wife and I did that run also, only we took the train from Los Angeles to Williams, stayed at the hotel there and then took the GC Railway. We went the time of year when they could use the old steam engine. Unfortunately, Amtrak no longer stops in Williams. Forgot the price; it would have definitely been cheaper to drive but wanted to do something different.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I left Houston yesterday, no train directly to Chicago so Amtrak takes me by bus to Longview. 4 hours, Longview boarded the train, train left at 6:15. Full up so I got an aisle seat. Nice leg room, I rode coach. I maybe got 5 hours sleep but it was on and off. Train horn was probably every 30 seconds, didn't help with sleep. Got to St. Louis around 6 am, now heading to Chicago, arrival apx 1:45 pm. 7 hour layover, leave tonight around 9pm. Another night on the train for arrival around 12:30pm in Utica NY, where my brother will pick me up. Food on the train is prepared and microwave.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    In Chicago since 12:30 sitting in the Metropolitan Club. Free snacks and water, coffee or soft drinks. Mixed drinks and beer can be purchased. Next train to my final destination doesn't board until 8:30, it will be another sleepless night, maybe not because I'm tired. I did take a complimentary shower to freshen up. Will arrive tomorrow in Utica NY around 12:30 pm. My two brothers will be picking me up. Next day I have a surprise visit for my 94 year old mother who is in a nursing home.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Several years back, we took a luxury train from Seville back to Madrid; it was very, very nice. We later took EuRail from Brussells to Antwerp, then to Reims, later back to Gare du Nord, Paris. All were comfortable & enjoyable. We actually look forward to those trips, now that we’re retired & have the time. Much less stressful than any airline.

One can get up, walk around, visit pub car, restrooms, or have a restaurant meal. Some also have elevated multi-windowed sightseeing areas in train cars.

One warning: when transitioning from train to cab, there are lots of con-men, thieves, pickpockets, gypsies, etc. Be ready with your police whistle & stout cane. Consider paying a porter to place your luggage into taxi.

On many routes, the non-express trains offer better sight-seeing. In France, the TGV & other express trains sometimes run b/t levees for noise control, like running down a canal. The levees can obscure the surrrounding countrysides.

We’re now planning. a late Winter vacation in Aquitaine, Basque Pyrenees & Spain; mostly by EuRail.

leVieux

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Given you're uhhh half way through your train journey, would you ever ride the train ever again?
    One problem is inconsiderate people, I was seated behind a guy with b.o. that wasn't nice. People not putting their phone on vibrate when people are trying to sleep. Or watching a movie too loud. The guy with b.o. claimed to be a teacher, geeze. Oh yeah the sneaky farter.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    One problem is inconsiderate people, I was seated behind a guy with b.o. that wasn't nice. People not putting their phone on vibrate when people are trying to sleep. Or watching a movie too loud. The guy with b.o. claimed to be a teacher, geeze. Oh yeah the sneaky farter.
    You get that on planes sometimes, fortunately the flight attendants can still say something to them. I wonder why a train attendant didn't ask people to turn their volume down or off?

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    You get that on planes sometimes, fortunately the flight attendants can still say something to them. I wonder why a train attendant didn't ask people to turn their volume down or off?
    It was before quiet time but still use your ear buds.

Top Bottom