• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Made it to Gloversville NY yesterday, it was a long drawn out adventure. My brother's met at the train station. Ed had a sign with my name on it, made me laugh. Won't be doing that again. Flying home after my visit. I have talked to people on my journey who love traveling on trains. Absolutely they say a bedroom on the train is the way to go. A little pricey for me. If you never traveled on a train a day trip might be fun. Of course people who do the travel across country see spectacular scenery. I traveled mainly at night, not much to see. Anyway I did and done.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Made it to Gloversville NY yesterday, it was a long drawn out adventure. My brother's met at the train station. Ed had a sign with my name on it, made me laugh. Won't be doing that again. Flying home after my visit. I have talked to people on my journey who love traveling on trains. Absolutely they say a bedroom on the train is the way to go. A little pricey for me. If you never traveled on a train a day trip might be fun. Of course people who do the travel across country see spectacular scenery. I traveled mainly at night, not much to see. Anyway I did and done.
    How'd it go with your mom? Was she happy/surprised? Or maybe that's today...

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I rode the train in a little train bedroom from Houston to Chicago 52 years ago. Went south / west out of Houston then north to Ft Worth / OK city, you could get off a the short stops for a little stretch back in the real world. Best thing about trains is you safely see parts of the US you would never venture into.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Amtrak had to pull over while freight trains had the right of way traveling from Texas to Chicago. I noticed how the trains moving east from Chicago traveled faster, more tracks.
    That’s backwards in my experience but I never go further North than Hearne, TX so I can’t speak for other areas. San Antonio to Eagle Pass, Del Rio, Laredo, Houston and Hearne are the only territories I’ve worked.

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    I always thought just the opposite.

I'm not motivated enough to look it up. :)
    It all depends on the trackage right agreements with the railroad that owns the track. IIRC, all railroads have some sort of financial penalty for delays to Amtrak. Some choose to abide by it (Norfolk Southern and BNSF), others give 'em the middle finger and pay the paltry penalty (Union Pacific).

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    It all depends on the trackage right agreements with the railroad that owns the track. IIRC, all railroads have some sort of financial penalty for delays to Amtrak. Some choose to abide by it (Norfolk Southern and BNSF), others give 'em the middle finger and pay the paltry penalty (Union Pacific).
    UP tries to abide by it but many times we’re so long, we don’t fit in the siding for a meet.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Ex-wife and I did that run also, only we took the train from Los Angeles to Williams, stayed at the hotel there and then took the GC Railway. We went the time of year when they could use the old steam engine. Unfortunately, Amtrak no longer stops in Williams. Forgot the price; it would have definitely been cheaper to drive but wanted to do something different.
    My wife, son and I did the train ride from williams. Stayed at the Hotel

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Visiting Mom today (I hope). Brother's car broke down yesterday. Friday, brother had to go to emergency room, could be a liver problem. Then the car breakdown, beginning to think I'm bad luck. Mom is 94 and doesn't know I'm in town, hope I don't shock her too much.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Finally made it to surprise Mom, she was napping, I think she thought she was dreaming. She looked up saw Dave, then me and brother Ed. We had to wear a mask so it took her a minute, after taking the mask off. She thought she'd never see me again. Going back tomorrow, mostly reminiscing. image.jpg

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    The local community college has a 9/11 memorial, stopped there yesterday. An antenna that sat on top of the tower was set up and two white stakes representing the towers were set in the ground. The placque said on September 11 the shadow from the antenna touches the two stakes at the times of the collapse 9:59 and 10:28.
    IMG_20230614_172234371_HDR.jpg

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The local community college has a 9/11 memorial, stopped there yesterday. An antenna that sat on top of the tower was set up and two white stakes representing the towers were set in the ground. The placque said on September 11 the shadow from the antenna touches the two stakes at the times of the collapse 9:59 and 10:28.
    View attachment 391925
    The HP campus on 249 in Houston/cypress has/had a memorial like that it was granite and positioned so the sun would shine through it the same times

Top Bottom