• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    99% of people only WANT or NEED a commuter car, Cybertruck is gonna be great, damn near out tows ICE trucks.. BTW they weigh 6000 pounds so they are already pulling a lot of weight. the Tech is gonna get better.
    My cardiologist was going to buy a Tesla truck, but got one of the cars first. That killed all of his desire for an electric truck. I think he is looking at a Tundra now

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    99% of people only WANT or NEED a commuter car, Cybertruck is gonna be great, damn near out tows ICE trucks.. BTW they weigh 6000 pounds so they are already pulling a lot of weight. the Tech is gonna get better.

Yeah, can’t wait to see one towing a 5th wheel out in BFE Texas.

You don’t even see Tesla’s out there. Where are you going to fuel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I strongly disagree. Make an educated guess on how many people / people who drive, who have been is a <3 second 0-60 car. I'd bet it is very few. I get the beauty of the older stuff - I've had a 911 with dual triple downbarrell Webers on them, and I'm a 1911 guy. The new stuff can smoke the old stuff - other than in a museum.
    No idea. But not really sure how that would make me wrong.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    “Damn near” means it doesn’t though.

I would generally agree with this, but the car just isn’t interesting from a drivers perspective. When someone brings an electric car to any car show I’ve attended, people don’t gather around and admire the battery pack under the floor board. Nobody is interested in hearing the lack of sound from the electric motor. compared to other vehicles that have 2 second 0-60 and 200mph top speeds, I think the Tesla absolutely is boring. Im not saying its not quick, but its not special.

I've seen EV-converted Porsche 911s in Germany that would smoke any similar ICE vehicle in a heartbeat.

Most current mass production EVs other than the Tesla Roadster aren't that exciting to drive.

Once manufacturers solve that, and extend range to 400+ miles from a charge, they will be "special" and a lot more popular.

And if my 86-year-old German mother can drive a Mercedes EQE 350, I am sure some of the dinosaurs on here can adapt as well!

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I've seen EV-converted Porsche 911s in Germany that would smoke any similar ICE vehicle in a heartbeat.

Most current mass production EVs other than the Tesla Roadster aren't that exciting to drive.

Once manufacturers solve that, and extend range to 400+ miles from a charge, they will be "special" and a lot more popular.

And if my 86-year-old German mother can drive a Mercedes EQE 350, I am sure some of the dinosaurs on here can adapt as well!
    What did the electric 911s run on the Nurburgring?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I used to daily drive a car with arguably similar performance to the Teslas. I can't say for sure because I never got a timeslip of its true potential; I didn't have a roll bar installed and got kicked off the track a few times for being on the brakes at the stripe and still running too fast. But by estimations based 60' and 1/8th mile slips, the car was roughly 10.80's on motor, and no clue on N2O. Never sprayed it at the track, only on the street lol. It would do 7.20's at 102-103 with a 1.6 sixty in the 1/8th mile on a radial in full street trim, a bit quicker prepped and on a good tire. Given that I could definitely match and exceed that old car's straight line performance with a Tesla, the question really comes down to "would I?" Personal preference, but likely no. So much I loved about that car was in addition to the acceleration itself. The sound of a lumpy cam in a v8. The feel of the vibrations of the motor, the shaking and shimmying at idle. The non-linearity of the torque curve and having to actually shift to make use of it. The smells. The having built it to that performance level with my own two hands. But not everyone is in that camp.

There's non-enthusiast people who will be completely awed by EV's because they've never experienced that level of acceleration outside of a launch coaster at an amusement park maybe. There's enthusiasts who will appreciate the car for what it is. There's other enthusiasts who can respect the car, but prefer something else. There's room for all of these. But then there's the people who just want to get their opinion to be the accepted one and say we need to switch to EV? Those people can take a long walk. Probably have to when the battery runs out :)

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I strongly disagree. Make an educated guess on how many people / people who drive, who have been is a <3 second 0-60 car. I'd bet it is very few. I get the beauty of the older stuff - I've had a 911 with dual triple downbarrell Webers on them, and I'm a 1911 guy. The new stuff can smoke the old stuff - other than in a museum.
    I have and was not all that impressed.
    Let me rephrase that. I was quite impressed, just not enough so that I had any desire to own a vehicle capable of that.
    Probably a result of 12 years driving wreckers and seeing what that kind of power can accomplish.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Tesla Model S PLaid
    grats
    Teslas are quick, but they are a one trick pony. All they have going for them is the 0-60 time, and it’s no different than other EV’s. If you want to have something that’s fast in a straight line then you can build something faster for cheaper that will not be boring to drive. If you want something fast around the track then you can also buy something that is faster for less.
    No, they drive around corners really well, too. They have a very low COG and with the active torque vectoring they just hook up and go. Of course that makes them boring since with all the technology you're barely driving the car. You pick your line and braking points, but that's about it. The car just does everything else on it's own.

The other problem is that when you're asking max power from the battery it's only good for a few laps.
    When someone brings an electric car to any car show I’ve attended, people don’t gather around and admire the battery pack under the floor board. Nobody is interested in hearing the lack of sound from the electric motor.
    I shit you not, there are EV car shows where people do exactly that. I do not go to those car shows.
    luxury golf cart with an iPad
    IMO that's the worst part about them. The stupid smartphone like interface makes them a gadget, not a car. First thing I do on a new phone is break the OTA updates and de-spyware them. I sure as shit don't want my car exhibiting the same behaviors.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    No, they drive around corners really well, too. They have a very low COG and with the active torque vectoring they just hook up and go. Of course that makes them boring since with all the technology you're barely driving the car. You pick your line and braking points, but that's about it. The car just does everything else on it's own.
    There is a video on YouTube of a Tesla getting beat around a track by a Chevy blazer. they have good acceleration out of the corners but can’t maintain speed through them.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    My Humvees can't be shut off with a satellite signal or taken over by remote control..so there is that. :roflfunny:

There’s a way to disconnect from that if your car connects to the mothership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I strongly disagree. Make an educated guess on how many people / people who drive, who have been is a

Yep a 2 second 0-60 acceleration time is quick enough to disorient a lot of people.

Most people have never been in a vehicle with a sub 5 second time. The force imparted to get a car that gig to 60mph as fast or faster than a powerful street bike it impressive no matter how you look at it; if you will at least open your mind to it.

I’m not advocating for or against EVs. I think they do have a place as long as they aren’t forced on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    When I was a teenager the 0-60 in less than 5 seconds meant something. Now as an old fart I couldn't care less. What matters is how long to charge the damn thing to get home with cruise control set to speed limit and with a working AC.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There is a video on YouTube of a Tesla getting beat around a track by a Chevy blazer. they have good acceleration out of the corners but can’t maintain speed through them.
    I'll take my own personal experience over YouTube, but that's fine.

On the subject of fast SUVs, if you ever have a chance to ride in a Jeep Trackhawk around a track, take it.

Top Bottom