• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    The electricity required to charge an EV is comparable to what a typical home uses in a single day, so no it is not.
    Ummm...the "grid" is not crashed, all EV's are not dead....the grid is currently adequate.

"Taco Bell will give you the shits"
    "What the hell does that have to do with me going to Wendy's???"

Joe
    Capitol Armory ad

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Joe, you were not in Texas in early 2021, it seems? The grid was NOT adequate and we still have damage to our home caused by rolling blackouts in single-digit temps.
    If it can't even keep your lights on, it's not gonna take many more EVs to bring it down again.

And I am one who believes that EVs are the future. Not ready for prime time, but after evolution of PVs, batteries, and motors, perhaps.
    Oh. And thoughtful, planned expansions to the grid.
    No, I was in SEMI.
    The power goes out ALL THE TIME.
    DTE can't seem to deal with the trees.....

Joe

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    The ERCOT warnings were all issued after the sun was setting, and the wind was petering out. Just about the time the worker bees get home and need to charge their wondercars from the days commute. PG&E and Con Edison were also stretched far too thin.
    Teslas, and I assume other EVs, can be set to home charge at off peak rate/use times.

I'm guessing Texas grid failures, like Michigans, had more to do with poor management/upkeep than with the influx of EVs.

Joe

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    So charging your car doubles your daily electrical demand, doubling your electric bill and doubling the amount of power you pull off the grid. We already get warnings about rolling blackouts in the summer time because everyone is turning their A/C on and we already have failures of the grid in the winter. How will a substantial number of users doubling their demand not adversely affect the power grid?

Oh, and hey, if my wife gets one too, then we get to triple our usage! Great!
    I am certain my friends 3 is NOT doubling his electric bill. He definitely would NOT accept that. I don't think he can give direct percent increase due to his solar changes, however, the info is available, and electric costs/usage is quite easily calculated.
    Think of this....even if charging the EV from 20% to 80% is the same as the cost of a days electric use for a home, nobody is charging that much EVERY day.

Joe

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Teslas, and I assume other EVs, can be set to home charge at off peak rate/use times.

I'm guessing Texas grid failures, like Michigans, had more to do with poor management/upkeep than with the influx of EVs.

Joe
    I have no professional opinion on this point. Being a resident of Austin and seeing year after year concerns for the system/ infrastructure not able to meet peak demand. I don't know if the other large metroplexes see the same increase. In Austin they are adding dozens of large apartment complexes to the grid every year. That does not take into account the subdivisions that are growing year over year for the last 15 years. It's not upkeep. It's that infrastructure can't keep up with demand. My gf's son is a lineman. He's been busier that shit for the last 3 years.

Sorry if my thoughts are not cohesive. I'm into the vodak.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    My brother (owns a Tesla) and I argue this all the time. He doesn't care that many of the charge stations are run by diesel generators, he just likes the car and rationalizes that the extra time on his trips he enjoys. Sitting in a McDonalds is not a plus for me.
    I have owned 2 hybrids, a Honda Accord (battery went in less than 3 years and replaced under warranty) and a Prius Vi where a minor water leak from the engine required pulling the engine and a $3,000 bill. Neither of them saved me any money. The Honda was fun to drive, the Prius was like driving a shoe box.
    I would bet on a long trip a junk Russian Yugo would arrive faster than an expensive Tesla.
    I really don't care what anyone buys as long as I am not paying for it in tax breaks. My brother got the tax break. If EVs were so great they wouldn't need tax breaks. The public can make the decision with their wallet.
    Teslas are nice cars, and fun.
    Hybrids are the WORST of both worlds.
    A $3000 repair is not a "minor" water leak.
    My brother (owns a Tesla) and I argue this all the time. He doesn't care that many of the charge stations are run by diesel generators, he just likes the car and rationalizes that the extra time on his trips he enjoys. Sitting in a McDonalds is not a plus for me.
    I have owned 2 hybrids, a Honda Accord (battery went in less than 3 years and replaced under warranty) and a Prius Vi where a minor water leak from the engine required pulling the engine and a $3,000 bill. Neither of them saved me any money. The Honda was fun to drive, the Prius was like driving a shoe box.
    I would bet on a long trip a junk Russian Yugo would arrive faster than an expensive Tesla.
    I really don't care what anyone buys as long as I am not paying for it in tax breaks. My brother got the tax break. If EVs were so great they wouldn't need tax breaks. The public can make the decision with their wallet.
    A $3000 water leak is not "minor".
    Yugos were....well anyway.
    I agree with regard to tax breaks.

Joe

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Charging DEFINITELY adds substantial and measurable strain to the grid and can cause or exacerbate (that means make worse) grid problems.

Still interested in seeing the vehicles you claim can out perform a S Plaid at its price-point as you claimed earlier.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    You can take a look at Nurburgring track times for a list of vehicles that can beat it. The z06 corvette has done better for years. Hennessy motorsports builds zl1 Camaros that are comparable in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile and will crush it around the track. Even the factory zl1 is quicker around the track. People have twin turbo mustangs and corvettes that are as fast or faster in the 1/4.

It’s kind of interesting though, because people used to criticize the domestics for not being able to handle well, now they put more of a focus on that, people, and once tesla comes into the picture, people only care about straight line performance again. Although it seems that’s mostly among people who weren’t car people before Tesla came around.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.

Joe
    Wrong, bad guess. Growth, with diminished reliance on reliable fossil fuels has reduced the historically solid margin.
    Wind and solar without obscenely expense storage systems is wholly unreliable.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Are most homes able to handle the increased electrical load of charging two vehicles overnight? Willing to shut off the home AC on a Texas evening while the EVs charge?
    I’m not an electricity expert by any means, but I believe my two family members that have teslas in their household probably charge theirs together.
    Ummm...the "grid" is not crashed, all EV's are not dead....the grid is currently adequate.

"Taco Bell will give you the shits"
    "What the hell does that have to do with me going to Wendy's???"

Joe
    Because it was 65 degrees today and there is not high demand.

Joe
    Correct, because EV’s make up less than half a percent of registered vehicles in Texas last I checked. If they made up a significant percentage then it would have most certainly pushed us over the edge during hot days in the summer and cold days in the winter.

People with EV’s will need to charge their cars whenever they have the time, whether it’s during off peak hours or not.
    A $3000 repair is not a "minor" water leak.

A $3000 water leak is not "minor".
    Yugos were....well anyway.
    I agree with regard to tax breaks.

Joe
    Hybrids are probably where the auto industry will settle, at least for quite a while. They are more practical and a better value for most consumers.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How much is the replacement battery in the Tesla when it does fail? Are the current EV batteries still considered toxic waste?

Lexus says about $20k to swap batteries on their hybrid:
    That’s dealer pricing. The entire pack doesn’t go bad, usually just a few cells. Lots of places specialize in these repairs.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Hybrids offer the best value to the first and maybe the second owners. There are two power trains, with added complexity and more points of possible failure. They will nickel and dime the later owners in repairs (or folks like me who keep their cars for many years). What ever happened to the Chevy Volts? I’d see them on the road 10 years ago, but not now.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Think of this....even if charging the EV from 20% to 80% is the same as the cost of a days electric use for a home, nobody is charging that much EVERY day.

Joe

Wrong. If I were to buy one, any day I drive in to my office I would put 160 miles on it. And that's if I only go straight there and straight home. Would that not require a recharge before the next trip in? But my reply that you jumped on was mostly addressing the assertion that everyone suddenly charging EV's overnight would not affect the power grid. Increased demand does affect it - there's no way for it not to. If everyone using their air conditioners in the summer time puts a strain on the grid, then there is no way in hell charging a vehicle over night - one that even uses a fraction of the house's total daily use - does not put more strain on it. It's an asinine assertion that flies in the face of logic.

Also, the whole "charging at home" requires hiring an electrician to come out and install one of those charging stations in your garage...but oh, wait, what if you don't have a garage? Are those things weather proof? And how wonderful that purchasing an already expensive car comes with an immediate expense of up to $6500 (according to Tesla's own website) to install equipment. And my understanding is that recharging a mostly drained battery in one can take from 8 to 24 hours, even with a 240 volt charger.

None of this encourages me to get on the EV bandwagon. I'm not telling you they're wrong for you, but they have a long way to go to be good for me. It appears that, in your logic, I'm "nobody".

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I’m not an electricity expert by any means, but I believe my two family members that have teslas in their household probably charge theirs together.
    A level 2 charger is approximately a 7200 Watt, 30 Amp load. This is several times the load of an AC unit. Most homes have 100-200 Amp service.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    You can take a look at Nurburgring track times for a list of vehicles that can beat it. The z06 corvette has done better for years. Hennessy motorsports builds zl1 Camaros that are comparable in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile and will crush it around the track. Even the factory zl1 is quicker around the track. People have twin turbo mustangs and corvettes that are as fast or faster in the 1/4.

It’s kind of interesting though, because people used to criticize the domestics for not being able to handle well, now they put more of a focus on that, people, and once tesla comes into the picture, people only care about straight line performance again. Although it seems that’s mostly among people who weren’t car people before Tesla came around.
    But they can't do that for $90,000...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Tesla expects a 30% degradation within the warranty period and says the battery should last 200,000 miles. Sounds like a long time, but traditional ICE cars go longer without needing a ~$20,000 part replaced.

...but lets be real. No one buys any new car to save money.
    That battery ain't lasting 200,000 miles.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Are most homes able to handle the increased electrical load of charging two vehicles overnight? Willing to shut off the home AC on a Texas evening while the EVs charge?
    Don't know about the slow chargers. Homes can't even handle one fast charger.

Top Bottom