• Status
    Not open for further replies.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Respectfully, I can tell you this: The first time I visited Bracken, I introduced myself by name, told them where I lived, and that I wanted to visit a range that would let me collect my brass for load development. They told me that I could only take my brass from the range. No harm, no foul. Over the years, they've gotten to recognize me, and were always courteous. They did seem somewhat off-stand-ish at first, but for many years now, they have been quite friendly.

I have introduced many new shooters (including my wife and sister, international students at DLI, and many others) to the shooting sports at Bracken. Not once did I / we have a problem.

I have seen the staff give the "look" to folks that would stand out at a Whataburger at 2:00 am.

I just don't understand the criticism of a family-run small business that gets the job done for most of us here in SA.

Short Round Out, Rounds Complete!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    When the staff sees that, they rightfully get a bit out of sorts, and I'm sure they see that on a daily basis. If being told you are unsafe equals being rude, find another range.

Sorry, but that's BS! I've seen plenty of ranges that are safely run without the RSOs being assholes! There is no need to be rude, but that seems to be the consistent thread I hear from people who shoot at Bracken.

That said, I'd still rather go there than The Bullethole, where the RSOs (if there even is one!) don't even bother trying to keep the place safe in my firsthand experience. I've heard that it's improved, but that range has lost my patronage permanently based on all the buffoonery and dangerous acts I witnessed there!

Also, If you've never been to a "Wounded Warrior Shoot" at Bracken Recreational Range, you'll never appreciate the kindness of those folks.
    That is a good think they’re doing, and I do commend ‘em for it!

Cheers! M2

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    B.S. ?? Really?

Sorry, but that's BS! I've seen plenty of ranges that are safely run without the RSOs being assholes!

I don't know of many ranges W/I 20 miles of where I live that are run as safely as Bracken.

IIRC, the MCM admits eyewitness accounts into evidence and discounts hearsay.

There is no need to be rude, but that seems to be the consistent thread I hear from people who shoot at Bracken.
    (My italics).

I have seen the range staff react to unsafe actions and take swift corrective action. Sometimes the offender/s had hurt feelings.

To witness:

Shooter did not want to wait in line for a pistol table, pays for a table on the 50-yard rifle line, pops off a few rounds of .22 LR in a 10-22 with his kid, puts the carbine away, unpacks a 1911, sweeps the line and starts blasting .45 Auto rounds down-range.

RSO says, "Sir!" "Sir!" "Sir" .... without the shooter's response. Finally, the RSO has to physically nudge the shooter to get his attention, and at the same time grab the man's shooting hand to keep him from sweeping the line once more. RSO tells the shooter to clear his weapons and get off HIS range.

Here's another classic: RSO calls "Cease Fire, Clear your Weapons, PLEASE move to the rear of the red line." Usually, someone ignores the RSO and continues to fiddle with their equipment. RSO approaches the unawares shooter and says loudly: "Sir! PLEASE clear your weapon and move behind the red line."

Make one little or big mistake in an activity that could cause serious injury or death, and they will call you on it.

If that is rude, my military education must have been akin to water boarding.

Shortround, Out! Rounds Complete.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, first, you need to go back and read what I wrote. I didn't say that Bracken wasn't safe, I said you can run a range safely without being jerks towards the shooters, as many have reported happening to them at Bracken.

I know a lot of people who shoot in SA (most of whom are either active or retired military), and have heard many stories about how the staff treat people badly at Bracken. I haven't shot there for years and have no plans to, but I doubt any of these people would be lying about their experiences and they are not the type to conduct themselves in a manner that would require correcting.

I'm glad your experience has been good there, but Bracken does have a well-earned reputation for being asses towards their customers...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I didn't say that Bracken wasn't safe, I said you can run a range safely without being jerks towards the shooters, as many have reported happening to them at Bracken.

I know a lot of people who shoot in SA (most of whom are either active or retired military), and have heard many stories about how the staff treat people badly at Bracken.

No, instead of "jerks" your said "a-holes," in your last post, which is a poor choice of polite conversation.

Respectfully, all you state is Hearsay in your above post.

I have not one instance of staff mistreatment.

One should have firm grounds upon which to malign any one.

I don't shoot at Camp Bullis because I will not register my guns to shoot there.

And, I am not worried to go to the gun show, where there once was an accidental discharge.

It is simply a matter of personal discipline: To do right thing when no one is looking.

Be well, Live Long, and Prosper.

Shortround, Out! Rounds Complete!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If it works for you, that's fine with me. I just don't get along with their customer service scheme.

Shorty, you're a Trekkie, aren't you? :p

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, I can speak w/personal experience re. Bracken, and will state for the record that I don't like it there. I don't like their attitudes - I've NEVER gotten a "thank you" out of 'em, and that's even w/going out with as many as a half-dozen different guns and using as many as a dozen targets on one lane one day - and then getting "the eye" as I recovered my brass - with one of 'em even having the gall to challenge me as to whether I was "picking up only MY brass". Yet I was the ONLY one in that range of stalls shootin' a .45 at the time....

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Easy answer to both of you:

It is a private range, and I have to thank them for a place to shoot, where in a huge state like Texas there are precious little State lands to shoot on.

Thanks for piling on. I like it when a little "short round" poster gets piled on by a bunch of "thousand -post plus" posters rallying to one of their own that shot his wad and got all flustered.

That is why I joined this forum, and if you do not like my common sense then just give me the boot.

Now I'll know where to look for elsewhere minded folk.

No, I am not "Trekkie." My mentors always told me to do well and be well. I don't do that sci-fi crap that a lot of posters are in to.

Be well, Live long, & Prosper,

Shortround, Out! Rounds Complete

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Easy answer to both of you:

It is a private range, and I have to thank them for a place to shoot, where in a huge state like Texas there are precious little State lands to shoot on.

Thanks for piling on. I like it when a little "short round" poster gets piled on by a bunch of "thousand -post plus" posters rallying to one of their own that shot his wad and got all flustered.

That is why I joined this forum, and if you do not like my common sense then just give me the boot.

ummmmm....dude - YOU chose to jump into the thread, and challenge the comments made by others. I didn't attack you personally, however I DID recount my own personal experiences after you claimed that those making derogatory remarks had no first-hand experience.

If it works for you, that's fine. I lived right down the road from them until a few years back, but would go to other ranges than theirs because *I* didn't care for their ways. Obviously, they have others that like 'em, and that's fine. If I'm going to state that I dislike a place "for cause", I have no problem so stating. If I don't like 'em simply 'cuz ah don't like 'em, ah'll say THAT as well - because not all of us have the same criteria, and for someone to be able to ascertain the veracity of a comment, background is often needed.

Lots of folks don't care for Dietz. I like 'em, but many others don't. Doesn't bother me per se, simply because I understand we all have different expectations.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wow, I guess your experience trumps all the firsthand stories I have heard of people who have had bad encounters with the staff at Bracken! And these are people I know, work and shoot with, and trust, so I don't doubt their word.

Honestly though, I really don't care because I don't shoot there. I am also not paranoid about registering weapons on a military installation; but maybe that's because after 25 years of military service (and over five years working for the government since) I actually don't subscribe to the "government's out to get us" mentality.

If it works for you, then great; but don't take it personally if I disagree with your opinion of Bracken. I put more faith in people I know, and people on here that I've come to trust such as M. Sage and TRN, whose opinions I have learned to be correct; then someone who has just joined the forum. That's not a jab, but we don't know you from Adam; and as far as anyone knows, you could be an employee of Bracken. I doubt that, but it wouldn't be the first time that's happened...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Peace!

No, my experience does not "trump" anyone.

It is just that my first-hand experience there has always been positive, and I don't think it neighborly to rag on a range without personal experience. I've read where others had issues, but I never did over many, many years, nor did I ever refute other poster's claims of mistreatment or rudeness.

I find it odd that we should give credence to complaints that a small business might not take C-Notes, Credit Cards, or have an ATM on site to serve their customers.

As far as I'm concerned, Pay-to-Shoot private ranges should have the right to set rules, enforce them, and when necessary use whatever legal means to keep their facility safe.

As for a new guy "jumping in," that's what I do whenever I see something that don't smell right.

So, we should all agree to disagree, and let this bird shed its feathers.

Should you want to join me at Bracken, I'll pay the range fee.

Be well.

Short Round, Out!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's their right, and that's fine. I just find it bad service to so severely limit a customer's payment options. I find it very bad service to tell a group with two children along that they're going to have to lug all their gear back to the truck, go find themselves an ATM and then come back and hope to find a spot when there is obviously enough change in the till for them to accept a C-note.

I'm a very understanding guy, but I expect a little of that understanding back, you know?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    No, my experience does not "trump" anyone.

It is just that my first-hand experience there has always been positive, and I don't think it neighborly to rag on a range without personal experience. I've read where others had issues, but I never did over many, many years, nor did I ever refute other poster's claims of mistreatment or rudeness.

I find it odd that we should give credence to complaints that a small business might not take C-Notes, Credit Cards, or have an ATM on site to serve their customers.

As far as I'm concerned, Pay-to-Shoot private ranges should have the right to set rules, enforce them, and when necessary use whatever legal means to keep their facility safe.

As for a new guy "jumping in," that's what I do whenever I see something that don't smell right.
    /QUOTE]

Not to worry....actually, ah lahk the cut of yer jib - ya got jumped on purty hard, but didn't back away - an' that's a Good Thing in mah book. We won't agree on everything, an' if we did this would be a boring world.

After all, ah don't rag on that flyboy what rides the rice burner - we're purty easy-goin' once we git ta know ya!

And before you feel TOO abused, find the string where someone was trying to defend the Bullethole....now, THAT was a slap-yo-mama beatdown!!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    After all, ah don't rag on that flyboy what rides the rice burner - we're purty easy-goin' once we git ta know ya!

Never ragged on the Fly Boy, but he's stand-up in my book.

More than one Fly Boy made me puke into a paper bag on the way to the drop zone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom