• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    I guess I'll throw my two cents in - I've been to Bracken several times, mainly because it's the closest one to my house. Agree, the range itself is less than impressive, but at the end of the day, it's a target to shoot at. The staff on the line can be grumpy/assertive, but being retired military, I'm used to grumpy RSOs yelling at people, and I'd rather have that than to have a consistantly unsafe environment. I personally have never been treated rudely. I pay may fee, I do my thing and I leave. Bottom line is, I'll probably continue to use the place because it's convenient, because the staff enforces safety, and because they have never given me a reason not to return.
    Guns International

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    For those who have DoD ID cards, Bullis is a better choice. Unfortunately, it's only open on the weekends and for only four hours per day; but for $20/year you can't beat the price and the RSOs are much more efficient and friendly in keeping the range operating than anywhere else in San Antonio.

And yes, while you do have to register your firearms with the Hunting Lodge to shoot there; the information is kept in hardcopy form as far as I can tell, and over the years I have shot there it has never been a problem. As a matter of fact, if I need to go on Bullis while carrying, I can simply unload my weapon and store it in my vehicle before going through the gate (no loaded concealed weapons are allowed) and be perfectly legal. It is the only military installation in SA where that can be done!

More info on Bullis can be found here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/san-antonio/15492-camp-bullis-sportsmans-range.html.

Cheers! M2

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    I hit Bracken for the first time today and I was very happy that I did not get the treatment many of yall have. The guy at the window was very nice and willing to tell me about the range. The older lady that was with him was friendly as she walked the handgun range cleaning things up. When I was finished and ready to head out the guy was more than willing to go grab my targets for me. They bothed thanked me for coming and told me to have a nice day..

Pretty nice trip overall.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have only shot at Bracken once and that was for a chl course so I have no opinion on their service. I will comment on The Bullet Hole though. I have found that skipping that place on weekends and instead shooting at opening time (10am) on a weekday is a much better way to go. The place is empty and the patrons are a little more mature and safety conscience.

W

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    I have not been to Braken but have used The Bullethole several times. I never saw anything unsafe the times I went, but I was on the pistol line only. The customer service/friendliness I got was ok nothing great, nothing bad just ok. (Busy weekends to be fair). Its close to my in-laws and works for me.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There are many here (myself included) who refuse to step foot on The Bullethole based on past firsthand experience. I have never witnessed such buffoonery on a range as I've seen there. They may have fixed things, but they've lost my business forever as when we tried to get them to correct the safety violations when we were still going there, we got a very uncaring response from the staff. If they don't care enough to keep their range safe, they can stuff it!

And I honestly believe the only reasons things may have improved there is because of the new school that was built just up the road from the range. I am sure they got a "fix it or be shut down" ultimatum which accounts for the changes they've implemented. There are far too many better ranges in the SA area to waste my time and risk my life shooting at that pit!

Blackboot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Schertz
    As far as Bracken goes, I figure...here's a family that has opened their private land for us to use. If we don't like what they provide, go elsewhere. I don't consider it bad customer service that they don't allow credit cards or take bills larger than $20. They are not in it to make money, they are doing what they do to provide a place for those of us without the land to shoot our guns. For that, they do well. I'm tall, so I don't like their pistol range with it's low hanging roof, but it's a place to shoot none the less. For that, I thank them.

txarsoncop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    TEXAS baby!
    I've used Bracken more than a few times but I wouldn't say I'm a 'frequent flier.' I've never noticed any rudeness towards myself or other patrons, the worst I've endured would probably be categorized as a lackadaisical attitude. Heck, the RSO/Firearms Instructor for the county can be a bigger pain in the keister than anything I've seen at Bracken.

I'm a Plastic Only type of guy because the primary credit card gives cash back and we're not into that carrying a balance trap. But I always have some cash on me. Why? Because I've run into more than few businesses like Bracken Range that don't take plastic, or they have a $X minimum before you can use the plastic. And you can almost bet that any of these places also won't take and/or don't want your Big Bills, because these are typically mom & pop type shops. Everybody should have one or two (or whatever # you consider safe) $20s tucked away in your wallet for encounters just like the OP's, even though he stated he'd been to Bracken before...

Blackboot's experience was probably a result of the 'corrective measures' the range was forced to take after several local homeowners griped about their homes being allegedly shot up by range patrons. Intel has it that the projected trajectories were all wrong though... We were skeptical from the beginning and pondered about whether or not a homeowner(s) was taking potshots at their own house(s) to give creedence to their complaint. We're also guessing these homeowners didn't do due diligence and bought/moved in not knowing they lived next to a shooting range and didn't like all the noise.

bill

ATG8431

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    San Antonio
    Only when idiots don't practice proper range safety have I seen the bracken staff be stiff. However, the new overhang they installed on the pistol range is obnoxious so I use Bass Pro's indoor range.

txarsoncop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    TEXAS baby!
    Again, they're stuck on the overhang for the pistol range due to homeowners' complaints. And according to the County's GIS site several homes are well within range and at least 230 properties could theoretically be in range of a negligent discharge.

If you ask me though, it's all sour grapes BS and Bonnie's being forced to pay for it. The range has been there as long as I can remember, 25+ years and last year was the first time any homeowner ever complained about their house taking fire.

bill

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Why? Because I've run into more than few businesses like Bracken Range that don't take plastic, or they have a $X minimum before you can use the plastic.

The minimum to use plastic goes against every merchant agreement that exists. Their contracts do not allow them to do it.

PYROLYSIS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    San Antonio
    First off, let me say I don't feel like any of the pistol lines here near/in Bexar County are safe, I will never stand at a pistol line again, I have been muzzled way too many times and I'm tired of puckering my butt cheeks. I am only speaking from extensive experience with Bullethole and Bracken but this practice is enough to steer me plenty clear of them. I do feel like I am in a safer environment at any of the private bays at Bullethole (not sure of any others in or around town and if there are let me know).

Yes I have heard many horror stories about Bracken from even long time customers who did the accidental questionable rate of fire on the CHL practice range who were asked to leave (one such case a gentleman fired 3 rounds in ~2 seconds which I personally observed and was yelled at: “what’s wrong with you, you can’t read?!?!”). Yes the staff does seem to be on the less accommodating side when it comes to entertaining the usual southern hospitality but somehow I have managed to get a few grins out of them and they do loosen up after a while. The rules are most certainly the rules at Bracken. I will say that they do provide a service, in the end we shouldn’t trust the staff with our safety but is the responsibility of every person at the range to enforce, and if paying cash (even in small increments lol) is the policy of an establishment is their right to do so(even if it means they go out of business).

Sorry about your experience, I hope you find the right range for you. I still haven’t either.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I like Bexar Community Range (just bought a membership today), but I'm a "strong" enough personality to act as my own RO (I've actually served as RO at organized matches before...) 99% of the shooters there are just fine. 1% I yell at for being idiots.

Had one today at Bexar. I had to call a cease fire because some idiot on the 25 yard rifle line assumed it was separate (in spite of no berm to separate) from the 50-200 yard line. I was on the 100 yard line and on the trigger when I noticed him!

You do have to be a bit forceful about safety at these ranges, but I like one that's more flexible and am willing to exert myself more out on the line as an ad-hoc safety officer than have to put up with a poor attitude and people who won't bend a little.

Bexar is willing to bend a little and was totally willing to today, even though it wound up being a miscommunication issue - they thought I asked for twice as many targets after I paid with plastic, and just said "just pay next time". Customer service? That right there is it.

txarsoncop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    TEXAS baby!
    The minimum to use plastic goes against every merchant agreement that exists. Their contracts do not allow them to do it.

Please, you've never seen that posted at any business? How about the ubiquitous "3% charge for all credit purchases" signs? Merchants everywhere are in violation of their agreement but the issuer isn't going to do anything about it. Wifey-poo is an AVP Lending & Manager of credit card accounts for a major credit union and they don't like to see those signs but MC/V/D, etc. aren't going to do anything about it.

A smart merchant would likely get more sales with a "3% .discount for cash" sign but they just don't get it...

bill

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    lol or how about a 2-3 buck "conveniance fee" what is conveniant about that? them taking my money to save em the trouble of spending it? hah. i always thoguht it was jsut a gyp, i guess it is an incentive to pay cash. it totally works.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Please, you've never seen that posted at any business? How about the ubiquitous "3% charge for all credit purchases" signs? Merchants everywhere are in violation of their agreement but the issuer isn't going to do anything about it. Wifey-poo is an AVP Lending & Manager of credit card accounts for a major credit union and they don't like to see those signs but MC/V/D, etc. aren't going to do anything about it.

A smart merchant would likely get more sales with a "3% .discount for cash" sign but they just don't get it...

bill

Oh, I've seen them alright. And yes, the issuer will do something about it if you try. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom