• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    After 38 years of shooting I have tried steel once and aluminum once.

BRevell

<b>Forum Sponsor</b>
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2013
    N Austin
    As I understand it, Aluminum and Steel casings are not reloadable. They are cheaper to manufacture but because they don't have any value after having been shot, they are more expensive to shoot if you're a reloader. Some bloc manufacturers also coat their steel cased cartridges with lacquer or polymer to help protect from corrosion and aid in chambering. The lacquer/polymer vaporizes upon firing and deposits on the inside of the bore and chamber and quickly causes fouling and subsequent malfunctions. For wide tolerance guns like the AK its no problem, but it will cause stoppages in guns like the AR where the pieces fit together much more tightly. A lot of pistol ranges will insist you police your casings if you shoot aluminum like CCI Blazer. Some won't allow it at all.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Pros:
    Cheaper.

Cons:
    Some ranges will not let you shoot them.
    Not Reloadable.
    May use cheaper and dirtier powder.

Other than that, I know others have had problems with them but I have not. No instances of lacquer build up or ruptured cases.

(now I guess it's time to start the AK vs. AR and is a lot of 9mms better than a few .45s discussion.)

Last edited:

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I've never had a problem with steel or aluminum. Some manufacturers will void your warranty if they find out your using it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    No problems with either steel or aluminum. I reload so I avoid them both generally. They tend to burn dirtier so allow for that but they are cheaper than brass also. Buy brass and sell the empties.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    About all I shoot out of my ARs is steel case. I haven't had any problems with it. I've even gone over 1000 rounds with nothing more than a little lube on the BCG and no cleaning.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I have only had issues with Tula, not with the casings themselves, but blown out primer pockets. I run steel or aluminum through my mini 14 but they don't have enough power to cycle my xcr or my ar15. I try run them through all of my pistols too. No issues to date. Don't expect brass performance from them. They are a plinker's delight though.

TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    Since most of my shooting the past few years has been indoors, I've not shot steel or aluminum in quite some time. However, when I first started pistol shooting, I was exclusively outdoors and I was purchasing Brown Bear by the case. It was $3.50 or so a box and I was shootin the heck out of it!!

I never had a single issue out of thousands of rounds through my Berettas. I would probably still be using it if indoor ranges allowed it.

TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    If it's indoors, they probably just haven't caught you yet. Ranges make a lot of money from the brass. Many forbid shooters from picking any up. With .223 brass going for .25 each, I damn sure pick mine up when I shoot.

BRevell

<b>Forum Sponsor</b>
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2013
    N Austin
    There's a company out there that is now even making polymer cartridges... Seems like there's no real limits. Just figure if it works in your gun its probably okay. If its not going to work or work well, you'll probably figure that out pretty quick.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Just figure if it works in your gun its probably okay. If its not going to work or work well, you'll probably figure that out pretty quick.
    What he said...

The only con to aluminum is that it's not safe to reload and steel is too difficult to reload. You also might have to clean your gun every 700 rounds instead of every 1500 because they are dirtier than brass. ;) The cost savings more than make up for the cons in my opinion.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    had a box of .380 tulammo that didn't allow the slide to completely close - turned out that the bullets weren't seated in the "brass" correctly - the entire box - tossed it..

maybe imagination but I think the ammo is dirty and stinks..

I won't use it

Top Bottom