• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I broke a .38 Special revolver using aluminum-cased ammo (cracked the recoil shield).

The manufacturer replaced the revolver no questions asked.

Some time later, the manufacturer told me that their testing revealed that the "shock impulse" of an aluminum-cased round fired in their light weight alloy receiver caused the crack. They had tested their revolvers with only brass-cased ammunition in mind. The manufacturer mentioned that they would recommend against using aluminum-cased ammo in that revolver line.

I've shot aluminum-cased .45 Auto in an unmodified Colt Commander. It shot to point of aim, but the cases would not eject reliably.

I avoid aluminum whenever possible, except to wrap a corned beef brisket resting in beer for roasting in the oven.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I've shot a lot of aluminum Blazers in my 92FS, I would still shoot it if I coud get it for cheap like I did before Bama. Also shot a few in 45ACP. I never had a problem with either. I haven't and won't try the steel case stuff.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I've run both fine no issues till last week. I bought two boxes of blazer .38 +p 158gr fmj to use in my Model 28 and accuracy was miserable been using SB 158gr fmj .357 those were like a laser. For the record was just shooting at empty beer bottles and about 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've shot aluminum and steel before. I didn't like either. The steel seemed to be loaded with really crappy, dirty powder. Sooner or later you run into somebody that's had a serious problem with them. I now avoid them like the plague.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Steel cased rounds do not necessarily have crappier powder. What they do have is a lack of expansion and retraction where case necks seal in your chamber. That creates some soot from gas escaping through the chamber instead of down the barrel. That in turn creates ejection problems when the steel stays expanded and does not retract after the bullet leaves the muzzle, hanging up on the carbon build-up. Aluminum cases usually have thicker walls that can create feed issues on magazines, or ejection problems. Some cases are so thick they will not fully chamber in a revolver. A buddy of mine once bought some blazer 357 rounds(aluminum) that wouldn't even seat deep enough to let the cylinder close. The gun was a GP100 chambered in 357. No reason why they should not have fit in the cylinder. Aside from the reloading issue, they simply don't function in firearms as well as brass. Some guns can run steel flawlessly but most will get finicky with aluminum.

dickydalton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Minnesota
    There's a gazillion AKs and SKSs out there that have never seen a brass case. Mine still shoot fine and doesn't get any dirtier than with expensive ammo.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I buy what is available....would I rather buy brass? sure......

Not much of an opinion, but I shoot what is available too....would I rather shoot brass? Yes, but in most of my guns it doesn't really matter to me.

Steel in in my NM Springfield M1A or Colt SP1?..No way........

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    This will be mostly for the Les Baer. So I should a little cautious.

Do the math. How many rounds will it take to wear out that gun with cheaper ammo vs. more expensive ammo? How much money will you save while shooting the cheaper ammo? I honestly have no idea but I would guess that you could buy a new Les Baer with the savings before you wear the first one out.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is kinda what I am saying. If your gun shoots the cheap crap then go for it. The only issue may be loosely made ammo in a tight chamber.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Do the math. How many rounds will it take to wear out that gun with cheaper ammo vs. more expensive ammo? How much money will you save while shooting the cheaper ammo?
    Yep... You can buy a new barrel and bolt for the price difference between a few cases of Lake City vs. Wolf. You'll probably go through 15 cases of ammo before you even notice any significant wear.

TX_Runner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    This is a timely post. I saw some very cheep aluminum case ammo 9mm at Cabelas, but was unsure of how it would affect my firearm. I always learn a ton whenever I'm on this forum.

Top Bottom