Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    He was a “junior” in high school yet played on the JV football team? Have high school squad grade levels changed that much since I was in school?
    That's how it worked when I was in high school. Anyone who couldn't make varsity was on the JV. At homecoming, once a season, any seniors who were still on the JV were allowed to suit up with the varsity for that one game.

At all other times, ability separated JV from varsity, without exceptions for grade.
    ARJ Defense ad

mwrookie

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2018
    IL
    You know...I don't know about the rest of you fathers but because kids spend so much time on their phones and libtardbook, I'm not appossed to parents running spyware on their families phones and computers. This kid ordered some vintage esk columbine type clothing and posted about it. Kid decides to hide it a father at least can stop something.

I agree for the simple reason the only way the kid can access libtardbook is using the internet that the parents pay for. Same with phones and computers. The parents paid for it so it is the parents property.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I can't think of a person who bullied me in elementary, middle, or high school who I am still or would ever be friends with. Going over them in my head, I can't think of a single one who, if I heard they died in a fire, I'd have any reaction other than to buy a cake and have a little personal celebration.
    By and large, I was usually on the receiving end of the bully attempts. I was small (still am), I was smart (huh?), and I was a year ahead of schedule academically (skipped K, go me). Make no mistake, I wasn't beating kids up ;) I did stand my ground though, and I didn't take anyone's disrespect lightly.

In the case of the friend I made by getting in his face, the story is in hindsight pretty funny to us. My gf and I were sitting in my car at a local hangout, and this kid flicks his cigarette which by dumb bad luck lands on the hood of my car. I worked really hard to afford that car, and it set me out the door and all up into this kids business seeing that orange glow on my blue paint. We exchanged words, his more along the lines of 'sorry man I totally didn't mean to hit your car' and mine was more 'blah blah I'm an angry idiot.' In the town we lived in everyone would chat on the CB. Later the same evening, I asked a question over the air about something I was trying to do on the computer, and who answers but the kid I jumped all over not 3 hours prior. Found we had several common interests and there ya go. When I say we became friends, I should really clarify - he's the level of friend who we've followed each other to the same jobs, had keys to each others houses, moved across the country, spend holidays with family, etc.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    Stefan Molyneaux made a video commentary on this on YouTube. His conclusion at the end is “charge the parents (like as an accessory).”

While I did appreciate the analysis, I couldn’t in good faith accept this as a conclusion in this case, and commented there as to why.

At best, I’m wondering if the parents could be charged with a violation of the youth handgun safety act, which, really doesn’t address the shotgun, does it?

But since he’s being tried as an adult, we don’t charge parents for the crimes of adults, right?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Wouldn’t have helped in the Parkland case, both parents were dead already.

Holding parents responsible for what? If there’s something like mental illness involved, are the parents still responsible? I suppose they are: for even having given birth. Unless adopted; in which case, that’s a good way to kill adoption programs (again, like the Parkland case). Maybe parents should be medically approved and licensed before they’re allowed to have kids?

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    That's how it worked when I was in high school. Anyone who couldn't make varsity was on the JV. At homecoming, once a season, any seniors who were still on the JV were allowed to suit up with the varsity for that one game.

At all other times, ability separated JV from varsity, without exceptions for grade.
    When I was in the 8th grade, I scrimmaged with the high school team so they'd have 12 players & could field 2 teams.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Holding parents responsible for what? If there’s something like mental illness involved, are the parents still responsible? I suppose they are: for even having given birth. Unless adopted; in which case, that’s a good way to kill adoption programs (again, like the Parkland case). Maybe parents should be medically approved and licensed before they’re allowed to have kids?

Not responsible for having the child, but responsible for NOT keeping guns out of the hands of said child.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Understand the Parkland case, re: both parents dead prior.

But this did not happen overnight. This took years for this kid's mind to warp.

Personally, I would not hold the parents responsible for a 17 YO getting hold of guns in the household. Short of a serious gun safe, the kid could have gotten to them regardless. And a 17 YO is old enough to know better than to go shooting people.

But I must wonder in most of these cases how the parents were so out of touch with where their child's mind was. I have raised kids, so I know teenagers are not an open book. But even so...

Possible contributing factors in these cases:
    At ages most critical to development, kids are pawned off to daycare where they are part of a herd looked after by strangers.
    Both parents working, tired and possibly stressed at the end of the day. Not enough time and energy left for their kids.
    Lack of discipline.
    Morals and values degraded. God and the Bible not a part of most peoples' lives.
    Society that promotes all the above.
    Computers and cell phones that result in a lack of real human interaction.
    And the list could go on.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Well stated! When do you think this change in society started?

Take your pick. When emphasis on sports instead of education became the norm; God, and thus morality, was removed from the public domain; and the opportunity to learn from history was replaced with indoctrination .... for starters.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Oldag, I hear what you’re saying and I’m inclined to agree that “bad parenting” can have an adverse effect on a child growing up (no doubt).

But for those advocating such, holding the parents criminally liable for the actions of their seventeen year old is a little like the reverse, holding a child responsible for “sins of the parents”, to me. At some point, society has got to hold an individual personally responsible regardless of the trials and tribulations they’ve experienced in life (again, assuming normal mental competence). Is that age 15? 17? 18? 21? 25?

Not infrequently we see news reports of someone who has grown up with a disastrous home life, and yet they establish a good - even successful - life for themselves. I don’t know when “maturity” happens - at different ages for different people, I suppose. I’m guessing for Mr. Greek guy (the Santa Fe shooter), “maturity” is about to unload on him in jail, like a ton of bricks! He’s about to reap the repercussions of his very poor life choices.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Prisoners are notorious for their treatment of "short eyes" child molesters. I wonder if the same holds true for school shooters? Haven't really heard anything about that.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Prisoners are notorious for their treatment of "short eyes" child molesters. I wonder if the same holds true for school shooters? Haven't really heard anything about that.

He better hope one of the victims doesn't have a relative in prison! Or even a Santa Fe alumni lol
    Don't drop the soap kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    When I was in the 8th grade, I scrimmaged with the high school team so they'd have 12 players & could field 2 teams.
    12 players to make 2 teams? Oh, I get it. I've never personally seen a 6-man game but if your school system was that small, I'm glad they could make it all work.

I kinda doubt a shooting like this could ever happen in a school system that small. Too many people know too much about everyone.

In fact, I think the ability for someone who's mentally unstable to hide in plain sight is a necessity. Exactly where the critical mass is, where a school becomes so large that a person like this can slip through, is a mystery to me but I'm betting the number is surprisingly small.

dapakattack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    DFW Area
    Well stated! When do you think this change in society started?

I really think things started to go down hill in the 60s-70s. Kennedy assassinated in '63 made America numb, removal of prayer in schools that same year. The rise of Feminism. Abortion became legal in 1973 and created a sense that life isn't really that valuable . The Vietnam war made a lot of people cynical and ushered in the "if it feels good-do it" mentality. Timothy Leary and LSD. Colleges became institutions of activism instead of education.

Those 15 or so years began the moral slide that we are living with today.

But even those are all results of our transition from a rural to urban society. Before WW2 the vast majority of the US population lived in small towns. People knew their neighbors and looked out for each other. Church was the social center of the community. One tended to die within 50 miles of where they were born.
    Today the US is an urban society. With that brings those things listed above.

Top Bottom