• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I am listening to the tape of the anonymous female friend of the Ferguson cop and she keeps using the phrase bum rush to describe Brown as running toward the cop.

I have always know bum rush as meaning getting asked to leave or be thrown out of someplace. So I use Google to look up the meaning and find 2:

Bum's rush - the classic definition of being thrown out:
    bum's rush - Wiktionary
    Etymology - The phrase dates back to 1910 (US).
    Noun - bum's rush (chiefly North America, slang, idiomatic)
    "Forcible ejection from an establishment, as of a bum (hobo)."

But then I find the Urban Dictionary definition meaning rush toward someone:
    Urban Dictionary: bum rush
    "To run full speed into somebody and body slam them into a brick wall, chain link fence, or similar immovable object."

WTF? When and how did the meaning change? I hate it (this is a rant, after all) when widespread improper usage changes the meaning of a word or phrase.

Take for example clip instead of magazine; although, I do like this Urban Dictionary definition (#5): What dumbasses and gangbangers call a magazine.
    "Shit dawg, how many bullets you fit in that clip?" "You're a dumbass."

Another example right here in Austin is Bee Cave road, quite literally the road between Austin and the City of Bee (singular) Cave, Texas. Why people insist on calling it Bee Caves (plural) Road I don't know, but so many do it is now shown both ways on some maps.

Feel free to add your own examples to this thread. OK, I feel better now.
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've always heard it as a quick attack.

Being "bum rushed" would mean someone stopped what they were doing and came at you full speed, without cause or warning.

Never heard it used to describe being thrown out of a place.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    AustinN4 must be closer to my age. I remember the original meaning of "Bum Rush" too but it's been decades since I heard it used that way. It's now almost universally used to describe a quick attack, often by more than one assailant. I remember when "Gay" meant something completely different too.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    AustinN4 must be closer to my age.
    Child of the 40's.

I remember the original meaning of "Bum Rush" too but it's been decades since I heard it used that way.
    I still occasionally hear people say something like "I tried to attend so and so, but was given the bum's rush." But they are older like us.

It's now almost universally used to describe a quick attack, often by more than one assailant.
    I musta missed the memo. Seriously though, can anyone remember why and arond when it changed?

I remember when "Gay" meant something completely different too.
    No s**t: The Gay Divorcee (1934) - IMDb

Last edited:

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    Child of the 40's.

I still occasionally hear people say something like "I tried to attend so and so, but was given the bum's rush." But they are older like us.

I musta missed the memo. Seriously though, can anyone remember why and arond when it changed?

No s**t: The Gay Divorcee (1934) - IMDb

Goddog you're old :snicker: :troll:

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another example right here in Austin is Bee Cave road, quite literally the road between Austin and the City of Bee (singular) Cave, Texas. Why people insist on calling it Bee Caves (plural) Road I don't know, but so many do it is now shown both ways on some maps.

Feel free to add your own examples to this thread. OK, I feel better now.

And, it's Daylight SAVING Time, not Savings.

As for the bum's rush, I'm one of those old farts who considered its meaning as to be thrown out of an establishment. I'd never heard of it being used as basically describing an attack on someone.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    LAWL! Anyone remember the Flintstone's intro song?

"We'll have a Gay old time!"

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    hmmm ... I thought it referred to Earl Campbell during the Bum Phillips years with the HOUSTON Oilers.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Always thought a bum rush was kind of a sloppy tackle intended to knock a target off their feet.

It was what they taught us to do at the Sheriff's Office and they actually called it a bum rush.

Top Bottom